PDA

View Full Version : WATAGANS TRIP - Expressions of Interest - Saturday 14th August

MOP44R
27-07-10, 04:23 PM
OK so there is a good chance I may need to move to Melbourne in a few months for work so I want to get some trips in before then and the first place I really want to go back to is the Watagans as last time I went I had a ball.

Now Ive only went the once so I would need someone to lead the trip but I dont mind doing the club roster bits.

Im thinking max 8 Jeeps, meet at Thornleigh Maccas at say 7:30ish to get up there and get plenty in.

Last time I went we had a few Jeeps needing to limp home with some pretty big issues :o so Jeeps wanting to come should be prepared with at least some lift, good recovery gear, maybe some bar protection but at the end of the day I don’t mind who comes along but if it is a standard truck you more then likely may suffer some damage if we are going to do the same tracks or similar like last time, which is want Im wanting to do.

Then wanting to do another Mt Walker/Lithgow trip a few weeks after the 4WD Adventure show so if you cant make this Watagans trip or think the possibility of damage to high the next trip maybe better as most of the tracks around Mt Walker are no more then B rated or have alternate tracks to go up, I can lead this one as I know most of the good spots out there.

So put your names down if your keen and shout out if you are able to lead the pack

Cheers

Ben

LIST GOING

1. MOP44R
2. Miraz
3. 5teve
4. D.K
5. Davyd
6. tonysrich
7. Pura Vida

Waiting List

1. Stevet
2. Wolfe

Hunno
27-07-10, 05:32 PM
Ben,

Should have the fuel pump in tomorrow & Lift kit in the weekend before this trip(fingers crossed)

I'm in.

MOP44R
27-07-10, 05:46 PM
Excellent, putting you down mate

Steve F
27-07-10, 07:17 PM
Put me down as well :)

Cheers
Steve

stevet
27-07-10, 07:58 PM
Should be there in one piece!!

MOP44R
27-07-10, 08:36 PM
No worries Guys, your down

5teve
27-07-10, 09:49 PM
i'm in too
stefan

D.K.
27-07-10, 10:56 PM
Count me in.
I know several good technical tracks which run off the sides of steep hillsides and dry off quick. Better than a mudfest.

MOP44R
28-07-10, 09:53 AM
Count me in.
I know several good technical tracks which run off the sides of steep hillsides and dry off quick. Better than a mudfest.

I prefer Rock too, so sounds great.

Will add you and Stefan to the list DK

Hunty
01-08-10, 09:35 PM
Im in - sounds like fun!

MOP44R
02-08-10, 10:50 AM
No worries will put you done Hunty

stevet
03-08-10, 03:49 PM
Sorry, can you put me down on the reserve list instead of a nominated attender..............eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr......................

MOP44R
03-08-10, 04:32 PM
Sorry, can you put me down on the reserve list instead of a nominated attender..............eeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrr......................

Sure, no worries

tonysrich
03-08-10, 10:00 PM
I've been having a few problems with my rig but they should be cleared up by then so put me down
Once you have a date for the Mt Walker trip I"ll probably want in on that one too

Miraz
04-08-10, 08:26 AM
Can you add me to the list?

MOP44R
04-08-10, 03:32 PM
No worries Guys added, so that means we are full... Cant Wait!!

Hunno
05-08-10, 12:14 AM
Sorry Guys, Due to the ongoing moving Saga(& the fact waiting on parts to come into stock, but mostly theongoing saga) I will not be able to go. Hopefully I will be able to use this weekend to fit the kit & be ready to go for the next one.

MOP44R
05-08-10, 10:24 AM
No worries mate, as mentioned should be doing a Lake Lyall/Mt Walker trip a couple of weeks after the show anyway.

See you soon mate

Ben

Wolfe
05-08-10, 01:28 PM
Could I be put on the standby standby list please

MOP44R
05-08-10, 07:32 PM
No worries

TRBN8R
05-08-10, 07:37 PM
Hi Ben

Can you put me on the Mt Walker trip in advance please

Mani

MOP44R
07-08-10, 10:24 AM
No worries Mani, at this stage I was thinking of a date around 11th September... Gives us a few weeks after the show

Will post shortly and get peoples thoughts

TRBN8R
07-08-10, 10:37 PM
Hey mate

I am off on 18th an 19th if u can plan it around then.

Mani

Steve F
08-08-10, 06:08 PM
I've got to pull out of this one, meant to get stuff done on the Jeep this weekend in preparation for next weekend but spent time with the kids instead :)

Cheers
Steve

MOP44R
09-08-10, 10:00 AM
I've got to pull out of this one, meant to get stuff done on the Jeep this weekend in preparation for next weekend but spent time with the kids instead :)

Cheers
Steve

No worries

easy_rider
09-08-10, 11:06 PM
can I attend or full?

MOP44R
09-08-10, 11:51 PM
can I attend or full?

No mate your in, we've had a few pull outs and 2 wanting to go on the waiting list so I will put you down

D.K.
11-08-10, 09:00 AM
Have we got a trip plan for tracks to be driven?

MOP44R
11-08-10, 09:39 AM
Unsure mate, I was hoping you or Miraz could lead the way as you guys know that area better then myself.

Im happy to go Charlie and do the club paperwork.

Pura Vida
11-08-10, 01:27 PM
If there's still room I'd like to come. I haven't been jeeping since camp coffs.

Ben

MOP44R
11-08-10, 04:57 PM
If there's still room I'd like to come. I haven't been jeeping since camp coffs.

Ben

Still room mate, I'll put you down

tonysrich
12-08-10, 05:49 PM
Can you confirm a definate place and time to meet.
Will it be the same as your first post, Thornleigh Maccas at 7:30am?

MOP44R
12-08-10, 09:11 PM
Yes, 100% Maccas Thornleigh @ 730 this coming Saturday

D.K.
13-08-10, 06:58 PM
----snip----

MOP44R
13-08-10, 08:27 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow guys, see you all at Thornleigh at 730.

Last to arrive becomes Clark Kent reporter for the day to report back to Scott at the daily planet

easy_rider
13-08-10, 08:37 PM
My apology, but cannot make it. My ETC probably finally died, almost did not make it home from work today. Had to restart the engine on every traffic lights .... Red ETC warning light flashing anytime slowed down.

If you do not read it today, I asked Stefan to tell you

MOP44R
13-08-10, 08:43 PM
My apology, but cannot make it. My ETC probably finally died, almost did not make it home from work today. Had to restart the engine on every traffic lights .... Red ETC warning light flashing anytime slowed down.

No worries.

So that means there is now one spot available so let me know if anyone wants to come or if our 2 on waiting list want to come your more the welcome

Cheers

Ben

Hunty
13-08-10, 09:17 PM
Sadly I have to pull out also - rear trackbar torn off again - pm sent
cheers hunty -

Davyd
13-08-10, 10:49 PM
Hi guys. I know is late, but is there still room on this trip?

Dave

MOP44R
13-08-10, 11:01 PM
Hi Dave, yes mate there is room.

Meeting at Thornleigh Maccas at 730

See you then

Davyd
13-08-10, 11:04 PM
Thanks mate, see ya tomorrow. Got the address at McDonald's as Pennant Hills Rd Thorenleigh. Hope this is right.

Dave

MOP44R
13-08-10, 11:05 PM
Thanks mate, see ya tomorrow. Got the address at McDonald's as Pennant Hills Rd Thorenleigh. Hope this is right.

Dave

Thats the one mate, see you then

5teve
14-08-10, 09:38 PM
thanks guys for a great day out.
weather was perfect and the tracks we drove were one of the hardest i ever driven.
i got bogged in a first puddle and i had to use winch to winch myself up the last hill i couldn't drive up
i had fun, thanks again

Davyd
14-08-10, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys was a great day.

Davyd
14-08-10, 10:04 PM
A few more........

Miraz
14-08-10, 10:36 PM
Thanks to all that came out to play today....perfect weather, good company and some interesting trails.....what more do you need?

Steve F
14-08-10, 10:57 PM
Looks like fun

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=255&d=1281783302

Davyd
14-08-10, 11:22 PM
Mate was fun. Gone winched but that the best think about 4 wheeling.

D.K.
15-08-10, 10:36 PM
Great trip guys, some hard wheelin there.
The unnamed track is a gem (or is that germ) :o.
I reckon Geoff's line warrants an A grade because of its high tipabiliity factor.

Farrells has definitely got harder ... heres a clip of me driving straight up it last september

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UB-7gJnfVM&feature=player_embedded

And Olly (Golden Eagle) on the same day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QDpq3ar3Tk&feature=related

Miraz
16-08-10, 12:07 AM
Did anyone manage to get any decent photos going up the last bit of the unnamed trail that we did first?

sbadman
16-08-10, 06:12 AM
Looks like a good trip, but who's going to let me experience it with a trip report and high res piccies for the magazine? :D

MOP44R
16-08-10, 10:33 AM
Was a great day, had a ball and was exactly what I was after.

The tracks Geoff took us on were fantastic and I know everyone had a ball by the end of the day.

Here are some shots I took, I also got some pretty video as well.

MOP44R
16-08-10, 10:39 AM
Some more...

MOP44R
16-08-10, 10:42 AM
Some more... Looking at the angle of the trees gives you an idea just how good these tracks are :o

Pura Vida
16-08-10, 07:50 PM
Here's the trip report:

Wattagans Trip Saturday August 14th, 2010

The trip was organized by Ben (MOP44R) and led by Geoff (Miraz)
7 Jeeps:
Geoff (Miraz) – Black JK
Ben (Pura Vida) – White TJ
Dave (DK) – Green TJ
Dave (Davyd) – White XJ
Stefan (5teve) – Black XJ
Tony (tonysrich) – Silver 4dr Rubicon
Ben (MOP44R) – Black 4dr JK

We met at the Thornleigh Mcdonalds at 7:30 and left around 8:05. We didn’t drive too far on the highway and then got off on Peat Ridge road where we drove for another 25 minutes stopping at the Kulnura general store for fuel near Greta Rd.

We entered the Wattagans at Walkers Ridge on Forest Road where we took down out tires at 9:50am.

We drove for 40 minutes along basic trails (right where there’s a tree with a red mark) to a campsite with a great view overlooking a huge valley. It’s accessible with trailers and good for a small groups if you bring everything with you.

The first medium obstacle was a mud hole where Dave in his green TJ got stopped for a moment and had to reverse and then Stefan in his black XJ got stuck and Dave (TJ) had to snatch him out.

Later there was a tricky steep decent and Tony (silver 4dr rubicon) got stuck a couple times but eventually made it through. Dave in his white XJ wasn’t so lucky and got stuck after trying a few times and was snatched out by Stefan.

Not too long after there was another steep accent where Geoff (black TJ) slipped a little and then Tony (rubicon) took a few tries to get up. Ben (Pura Vida – white TJ) came up no problem with his foot on the gas and then Stefan (black xj) made it up with no problems either. Dave in the white xj got stuck a few times but eventually made it up without a snatch.
Then there was a sleep climb where Geoff got stuck a few times. Big Ben even had to hang on to the door frame to add weight and stabilize the right side. After he got off Geoff was stabalized by a snatch strap tied to the passenger handle above the door, which ripped off. On this hill higher clearance was a disadvantage because of instability. The long wheel bases were also helpful and had no problem. Geoff said he had tried for hours and couldn't get a 100 series cruiser up but made it with a pajero. With a smaller lift Ben did pretty well in Pura vida but eventually Geoff snatched him out. Tony’s 4 door rubicon had problems but got up and stefans xj was fine on the first go. Dave in the white xj had to be snatched out by tony. Dave in the tj almost flipped over (great pics) but got up. Even big Ben in through 4dr jk needed a snatch despite the long wheel base.
The last major obstacle was a steep and rocky climb with the best line tipping everyone into a tree despite trying to turn into the hill instead of away from it. This gave the TJ/JK’s cloth damage and the XJ’s some metal scratches/dents. Geoff may have made it through on his own, but I think everyone else needed to be winched past it. Dave (white xj) was winched up nearly the entire hill as Dave’s (tj) struggled not to be dragged down with Tony taking one for the team and feeding Dave’s winch back in.

At 2:30 we were back on ridge road near Wollombi.

Eventually we turned right on Old mill rd and exited the wattagans on Farrell road around 5pm.

The weather was great and the tracks were pretty dry. It was around 15 degrees in the morning warming up to about 19 in the sun. Dave (green TJ) had some drivable damage to a diff? Nearly everyone suffered flesh wounds when tipping over into the tree, but other than that no major dramas.

Wolfe
17-08-10, 12:13 AM
If the trip was originally limited to 8 with 2 on standby and only 7 went on the trip can I ask what happened to the 2 on standby? What is the point of having a standby list if the people on standby are not contacted or at least a post is made to notify that there is a vacancy available. Its just common courtesy really.

MOP44R
17-08-10, 11:18 AM
If the trip was originally limited to 8 with 2 on standby and only 7 went on the trip can I ask what happened to the 2 on standby? What is the point of having a standby list if the people on standby are not contacted or at least a post is made to notify that there is a vacancy available. Its just common courtesy really.

Yourself and Stevet asked to be placed on the stand-by list and the trip was full right up till I got home after a few beer o'clock drinks Friday night and by chance went on and saw we had a cancellation were I went on to post the following:

Originally Posted by easy_rider

No worries.

So that means there is now one spot available so let me know if anyone wants to come or if our 2 on waiting list want to come your more the welcome

Cheers

Ben

We then had another pull out with Hunty and a visitor answered my original post and then Dave was on the list.

So in answer to your question I did post an alert late Friday night for anyone including yourself and Stevet but as I didnt receive any reply from yourself or Stevet we went with 7.

Bear
17-08-10, 11:39 AM
In future any one on a reserve list for a trip should ensure the trip leader has your mobile number in order that you can be notified at short notice if a vacancy occurs. Also the trip leader should make his number available so that he can be notified if anyone drops out at the last minute, or are running late to the meeting point.

Wolfe
17-08-10, 12:24 PM
No worries.

Cheers

Ben

My apologies, I dont know how I missed that, as I didn't see it till you pointed it out this morning - my bad

MOP44R
17-08-10, 01:05 PM
My apologies, I dont know how I missed that, as I didn't see it till you pointed it out this morning - my bad

No worries at all Mate, I have also taken on Bear's advice and added my mobile number for the Lake Lyall/My Walker trip next month.

Cheers

Ben

MOP44R
17-08-10, 01:05 PM

No worries at all Mate, I have also taken on Bear's advice and added my mobile number for the Lake Lyall/My Walker trip next month.

Cheers

Ben

MOP44R
20-09-10, 12:57 PM
Here are some better late then never videos just uploaded to YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDnP2zwfn4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXDnP2zwfn4)

MOP44R
20-09-10, 12:58 PM
Another video from the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tePVstWK_LI

MOP44R
20-09-10, 03:17 PM
Last one for that day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp6KpkKb1Ws