PDA

View Full Version : Busted Evap Canister

TRBN8R
29-07-10, 10:57 PM
Hi Guys

Washed the Jeep after Riverstone. Crawled under for a quick look and found the hose from the evap canister going to the fuel filler end snapped off at the base. The computer is not throwing any codes on the dash. I have temporarily fixed it back with some black silicone and cable ties.

Can somebody please tell me what exactly does it do? and if I leave it as it is will it harm the Jeep in any way. And if some body has replaced it approximately how much does it cost. also what will happen if I remove it and block off the hose ends and leave it at that.

Too many questions I know but I am sure some wise ones on the forum will guide me on this.

Cheers
Mani

sbadman
30-07-10, 05:11 AM
The evap canister is purely a greenie thing, it captures the petrol fumes and lets them return to the tank to be consumed. The hose that came off is probably simply a breather, so the ECU won't even know if it's on or off. Blocking the port could allow a pressure build up though, and it would fail an EPA test (but this isn't California...)

TRBN8R
30-07-10, 10:06 AM
Thanks Scott

If it goes again I will most probably bypass it and see what happens. I crawled under again after reading ur post and realised there are no electric wires going in or out of it (inside it looks like a giant filter of some sort) so probably computer doesnt even know its there. Some posts on AJOR had me a bit worried but now I reckon u r right. I checked on the US jk-forum.com their canisters look a bit different to ours, and their computer throw a code if the hose breaks or falls off.

If somebody else has any thoughts or advice on this please feel free to share.

Cheers
Mani

SteveC
30-07-10, 10:24 AM
Mani
Remember Codes don't always come up. I'm sure that many people have experienced ( or at least felt) problems with their vehicle then go to their dealer only to have them say " The Computer showed no errors", can not find anything wrong etc etc.

I believe that things are placed there for a reason to improve or protect the vehicle in some way or another else why have that hose there? I suggest you take the Jeep to a dealer to have a quick look or even take a photos to them to tell you over the counter what is it's main purpose
Steve

stevet
30-07-10, 11:39 AM
Did the same to my old ZJ with the evap. canister. Made NO difference to any preformance issues at all. Blocked off the intake tube with big screw to prevent any intake of any crapp/dust/mud/water etc from getting into the system. The output side was just cabled tied out of the way. No one ever noticed even at Rego inspections. Mick Collins originally set it up that way ( got the cable tie & big screw for free!!) Anyway, it only ever fell off yesterday officer and I'm awaiting the for the new parts to arrive!!!!............................... Stephen T.