PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Mechanic inner west or eastern suburbs? For XJ '94

haroldraps
19-08-10, 08:29 PM
G'day Everyone,

I am a proud owner of a 1994 XJ cherokee limited (bought it a couple months ago and absolutely love it, should've gone jeep years ago). Speedo and Tacho have have recently failed and the hazard lights as well just today. Minor problems but would really like a good jeep mechanic to give it the "once over" and check everything (suspension/transmission/brakes).
Can anyone reccommend a good jeep mechanic in the inner west or eastern suburbs? Brought the vehicle to a mechanic at Alexandria for an inspection and am sure that my spare tyre has been changed in the process to an inferior one, though I can't be absolutely sure. Good mechanics in the city are few and far between and so many can't be trusted!
Hope you guys can help a newbie out.

Cheers,

Harold

Dave
20-08-10, 11:50 AM
Hi Harold,

You have a few options there. Either Jeep badged workshops eg Suttons at Rosebery, SVM at Chatswood or Parramatta (actually at Camelia - Rose Hill Racecourse). Just Google Jeep Sydney.

Otherwise, I get all my servicing done by Midas at Concord (2005 KJ Diesel). I have had no problems at all with them, highly recommend.

Dave

haroldraps
21-08-10, 11:47 PM
Hi Dave,

thanks for the info, will check them out. Have been flat-out at work, hence the late reply. Nice KJ mate! Turns out the failed hazard lights are due to a short-circuit (wires to battery started to glow and burn through the rubber casing). Ah well.

Harold

TK421
07-09-10, 07:37 PM
Well I am having the same problem and I can't get anyone to service my rig without asking for a ransom... ...it's unbelievable how much they want to charge for a tune up and they umm and arrh about everything. I have been to 4 mechanics and they give me the bull dust about parts from Jeep... ...having to wait ages for the orders to come... ...parts not available... ...and there is no fixed price on anything. What ever happened to the days when you knew up front how much things were going to cost? Maybe TJM at Parramatta might just be the ones! Has anyone had their machines serviced there?

glend
07-09-10, 10:27 PM
Seriously there is a lot to be said for acquiring the knowledge to do it yourself. Yes you need to be able to make time to do it as well. Eddy convinced me to do my servicing myself (now that the waranty is over). Obviously there are major things that might not be doable, but even things like timing belt changes are not out of the capability of a knowledgable owner.

kris
21-03-11, 02:37 PM
Hey Glen, thanks for the recommendation on the site. My Jeep is out of warranty and I tihnk I might tackle it myself.

70k service is due, seems like a filter/oil only really as I know my brakes are recently done and new tyres put on too.

What oil do these things run? Best to get the parts from Jeep directly - ie a filter?

glend
21-03-11, 03:22 PM
Filters (air, oil and fuel) are ok to get from Jeep and are reasonable. There is plenty of info over on AJOR on changing fuel filters and basic servicing, just use the search function or read the Sitcky's in the front of the KJ Forum section. Oil for the 2.8VM CRD is usually a 5w-40 in your owners manual. See my response to your other post on here about the oil grades.