PDA

View Full Version : sydney to broken hill

wrangler
05-09-10, 06:34 PM
This is my first post to Sydney Jeep Club :-)
I am planning to drive from Sydney to Broken Hill in two weeks time for a 10 days i was wondering if there are any members who can share their experience, do's, don'ts, driving tips, possible places to visit on the way etc.

glend
05-09-10, 07:27 PM
Welcome. It is a very long trip to do in one day. When the Desert Trip went out that way in July we stopped the first night in Cobar then its a fairly easy trip into Broken HIll the next day (four to five hours). You want to try and avoid driving into either Cobar or Broken Hill right on dusk as there are many kangaroos and goats near the road at that time of day (and the sun will be in your eyes).
In Broken Hill the mining museum is a good place to see the whole surrounding area (its on the tailings hill in the middle of town near the railway tracks). Whatever you choose to do about food don't eat at the Social Democratic Club, the food was terrible in the opinion of all who ate there. There are many pub style resturarants in the main area of town that provide meals, and many were packed when we were there (which is a good indicator I guess). If your staying in Broken Hill for a few days the day trip out to the old mining town of Silverton is worth while.

Have fun.

Dave
06-09-10, 12:12 AM
Hi Wrangler,

Second everything Glen said! Do watch out for the dirt roads around BH - not because they are bad, but because this has been a really wet year! I know of two parties - one a tag along tour group - that have been stranded not far out of BH for several days by heavy rain which turned the roads to mud.

That said, if you are out there for several days, and are looking to see the surrounding area, then consider Menindee Lakes, or even a trip North to Tibooburra, Cameron Corner and White Cliffs.

Have a great trip.
Dave

wrangler
06-09-10, 10:28 AM
Thanks Guys and appreciate a lot for sharing your experience.
I am also looking at covering Parkes, White Cliffs, Mungo Lake and Temora into my trip. I hope i can do it in the planned days

Cheers
Sanjay

Dave
06-09-10, 10:49 AM
Great, in that case consider driving from to Temora (see the airshow if you are there on the right weekend). Then continue West from Wagga through Hay to Balranald. North from there (on dirt) to Mungo (or you can go from Mildura - also dirt - but it is further), you could consider spending a day at Mungo, lots to see. From Mungo continue North to Menindee (may need a day there as well), then on to Broken Hill. This was all part of a NSW Tourism initiative last year called the Darling River Run. You can Google it, there are maps and brochures of "things to do" that you can download... I have been to a few of these places, keep an eye on the weather and road conditions and I hope you have a great time!

Dave

wrangler
29-09-10, 10:22 PM
Thanks Guys for some ideas..infact i just extended and completed the trip to Alice Springs and Uluru it was awesome !