PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle Leak

SteveC
06-09-10, 12:43 PM
Just returned from a trip down south and I smelt what was like diff oil. On further examination I noticed oil around the left rear wheel. When I removed the wheel and rotor I could not work out how to remove the hub in order to see better where the leak was coming from.

Does any one know How I pull the hub off? I suspect I would need a special tool or procedure

Thanks

Steve

Steve F
06-09-10, 03:51 PM
The D44a is a C-Clip axle. You need to take the diff cover off, removing the locking bolt that holds the cross shaft in, pull that out and then you can push one of the axles in and get the clip out. After that the axle can be pulled out from the wheel end. This is the whole problem with c-clip axles. Break the axle and you can pull it straight out at the wheel as it's not retained. You have disks brakes right, you'll need to take the caliper off as well at least as that'll stop the axle pulling out as well (although sounds like you've done this bit)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
06-09-10, 04:07 PM
Should add if you're going this far you may as well get the seals and bearings and replace them while you're in there. Read up on it though as the bearing while need to be pressed off and you cant replace the seal without pressing the bearing off the axle first.

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
06-09-10, 04:08 PM
Thanks Steve

I got to removing the disk rotor and exposing the internal hand brake system, covered in oil & crap and got stuck there. A bit different to the front assembly which I think is much easier. Why could it not have been the front????
At least it appears to have only started when very close to home.

Sounds too complicated for me. Ill just get it serviced at Jeep unless any one can suggest better. - who have now moved from Chatswood to Mosman of all places. Apparently they will reopen their service centre in Artarmon but not for another 6 months or more. At least Mosman give you a loan car for just $22 per day. BUT I think Ill have to get some serious money to pay for the fix. hughhhh!

Ill now have to get some RedLine Diff oil too....

Steve F
06-09-10, 04:15 PM
Maybe try a diff place instead of the dealer. I've used Langs differentials who are in the same street as Wooders but that wont help with a loan car. I bet it'll be a loooot cheaper than than the dealer though and he does good work.

As an aside the front oil seal is at the inner end of the housing and even worse as you need to pull the carrier.

Lang's Differentials Unit 2/ 3 Leighton Pl, Hornsby, NSW 2077

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
07-09-10, 10:36 AM
Steve
Do you know where I can get more info on this or a write up?
The manual I have on CD has no mention on this surprisingly.

Steve F
07-09-10, 10:57 AM
Sorry just going on generic advice from pulling down a D35 for a broken axle.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
07-09-10, 11:10 AM
I did just find this which I think is the same as the WJ D44a

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482547

Cheers
Steve

SteveC
07-09-10, 02:30 PM
I did just find this which I think is the same as the WJ D44a

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482547

Cheers
Steve

That's super. Your the best SteveF, I think that's exactly what I needed but in the write up comments, it says the wj has no c-clip, though I have a dana 44, though I think it could be a dana 44a. I wonder what the difference is???

SteveC
10-09-10, 05:30 PM
Dear SteveF
Ended up taking to Jeep to repair. Initially they were to keep it for a week but they got teh parts in from Melbourne over night. Yipee

The axles I have do not use a C-Clip but just a backing plate to hold them in. Ended up asking Jeep to do both sides which included seals, bearings etc etc. At least I did not have to waste the expensive Redline Diff Oil I use.

Still have not worked out if I have a Dana 44 or Dana 44a ????

Wooders
11-09-10, 12:05 AM
Steve, You have a D44a. and they like the D44 are semi float with a retaining plate.

SteveC
24-09-10, 12:58 PM
I got the new dealership in Mosman to do the new seal and asked them to do both sides. Has worked out well with no issues since, even after last weeks run. BTW total cost was $1000, which I thought was OK. hmmmm

SteveC
24-09-10, 12:59 PM
Steve, You have a D44a. and they like the D44 are semi float with a retaining plate.

Thanks for the info. Apparently the WG 44a is different to the other 44a's, Is that correct??