PDA

View Full Version : Ready for Jambo yet?

Steve F
07-09-10, 12:41 PM
Illness has stuffed me up so the Jeep still needs more work.

Left to go include, replace overflow valve in fuel tank, replace leaf spring u-bolts, replace snapped handbrake cable, replace diff fluids and check others and give the trailer the once over etc.

As a precaution I also upped my NRMA membership to the highest level to cover the camper etc, turns out it was a good time to do it as it included a free handsfree bluetooth car phone kit.

So what has everyone else left to do?

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
07-09-10, 01:09 PM
Install Lift & Rear locker, full service(front diff, engine, gearbox, transfer case oils & flush radiator), replace distributor & degrease engine & bay due to the oil leak form the dizzy.
Then start to repack, look for a new house & sort it out so I can move in as soon as I get back from Jambo, not much really.

Also need a replacement 31X10.5 x 15 Good year wrangler MTR

Wooders
07-09-10, 01:57 PM
Loads..... brain hurts just thinking of the todo list.....

glend
07-09-10, 03:02 PM
My post-Desert Trip service and Jambo Prep are overlapping. I have changed the engine oil, fluid in both diffs, and transfer case last week. Doing the auto tranny filters and fluid today (the RTV is setting up right now). The camper needs a once over but I'll leave that to the last weekend. New air filter goes in before I go and I'll take a spare as well. Of course the spares box is another matter!

reyzor
07-09-10, 03:12 PM
cars getting serviced as we speak, thinking of getting my 37;s before then but i dont wanan risk the dreaded wobbles and not be able to go, so i will leave my 35's on.... still waiting for a tie rod from a certain sponser :P and panhard bushes........

thats about all really....

khalak
08-09-10, 11:01 AM
Got my lift in on Monday, 33s are on.

Now I just need my flares from Wooders so the boys in blue will leave me alone....oh, and that damn bracket for the spare tyre carrier.

1stJeep
08-09-10, 09:13 PM
Black Widow drawers and cargo barrier being installed tomorrow (Thursday).
Still to do, weld on rails to sliders.. need help
Get longranger fuel tank moved 10mm further away from tailshaft to avoid repeat of contact between the two.
install bolt on grab handles in the front
fold pinch seams at the rear and cut sliders shorter
do something with ARB front bar.. move it or hit it so that tyres don't rub.

IVAN
21-09-10, 07:30 PM
still haven't cleaned or serviced the jeep since the desert trip hopefully by this weekend....

IVAN
21-09-10, 07:31 PM
cars getting serviced as we speak, thinking of getting my 37;s before then but i dont wanan risk the dreaded wobbles and not be able to go, so i will leave my 35's on.... still waiting for a tie rod from a certain sponser :P and panhard bushes........

thats about all really....

Dude try to get the 37s on before the jambo.. cause i hate always looking down on you when we are driving hahahahahahaha

Miraz
21-09-10, 10:29 PM
Hmm.....current to do list is not looking good...

- Gusset and re-bracket front axle
- Coil over mounts on chassis
- Drag link flip (still waiting on parts)
- Steering damper relocation (still waiting on parts)
- Remove Rear Suspension
- Weld on new Rear Suspension mounting brackets
- Relocate Rear Shocks
- Change Front Sway Bar
- Fit 37" MTR's
- Fit Rear Bar + Wheel Carrier
- Relocate Compressor from tailgate wheel carrier
- Fit Heavy Duty Tie Rod
- Trim Sliders + Pinch Seam

What can possibly go wrong....?

Steve F
21-09-10, 10:50 PM
I'm pretty much done, got a bit of a vibe at 100-110 so will get a wheel balance and double check driveshaft angles and that the rear driveshaft is balanced. Other than that it needs a good clean out and hopefully I get time to clean out the silt and mud from flooding it up at Lake Lyell. No chance of getting 35's on it as I've run out of time to sort out bumpstops etc and I know it's all good with the 32's at the moment.

Also need to do some work on the camper, wheel bearings and a few other things like charge the battery and check the sealing inside the wheel arches. Should be all ready to go by the end of the weekend :)

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
22-09-10, 01:59 AM
A week before we are due to leave & I have the following to do:
Paint front bumper,
Make cover for trailer,
Swap on muddies - need an extra rim,
Fit front tailshaft,
Wheel alignment badly needed,
Mud flaps (don't plan to get defected this time ;))
Wire up the winch
Fit a set of driving lights.
Any a stack of things I have no doubt forgotten.

Wolfe
22-09-10, 08:01 AM
lots and lots, but i'll probably just stick to the basics

Hunno
22-09-10, 08:14 AM
Mud flaps (don't plan to get defected this time ;))

Has this been a big thing?
How bad have they been around these events?

Wooders
22-09-10, 10:01 AM
Normally not a problem - but I got defected at Camp Coffs in 2008 which took my TJ off the road.
Was driving in left lane, 10km/h below the speed limit, MM & martin in the car - and the only thing he could ping me for was the mudflaps.....So he did.
Don't ask my opinion of bike cops as it's not nice.

So anyway mud flaps are a must for me from now on.

1stJeep
22-09-10, 01:00 PM
I've just got to get yet another wheel balance.. third in as many weeks. The useless stick-on weights they use keep coming off!!

Hunno
22-09-10, 02:04 PM
My guess is they're not degeasing/ cleaning the rim correctly before appying the wieghts.

jeepinjoe
22-09-10, 02:28 PM
Rebuild Tcase - new bearings
Put redline oil in the gearbox (feels a bit crunching after the castrol multitrax)
front pinion seal and maybe bearing
flush radiator
install new head unit
Change rear bushes and make the eyelets round again
Install rear recovery points
get UHF working again
a good grease up

And that should just about do it. Gonna be a busy weekend.

Steve F
26-09-10, 06:51 PM
Did a bit of work on the camper today,checked wheel bearings and put the 100AH battery on charge, also emptied out the remnants of Camp coffs and packed chairs and stuff into the tongue box. Still need to crawl under the Jeep and grease the unis etc and check all the bolts on the drop brackets and control arms.

Cheers
Steve

Wolfe
27-09-10, 02:02 AM
thanks to Dave,Col and Al. New Springs, shocks rear. Upper and lower ball joints, new panhard bracket, all tie rods, greased up ready to go. Few minor jobs left change O2 sensor and wheel alignment. Dont know if Ill get every done we'll see

Miraz
27-09-10, 10:15 AM
Still got a lot of work to do over the next couple of days....chasing a few parts...

Rear Suspension is all together, but need longer brake lines and bump stops

Front Suspension is more of a challenge...
- Managed to destroy the tie rod ends from the old tie rod
- UPS haven't delivered the replacements yet for fitment to the new tie rod.
- Managed to source a second hand tie rod over the weekend as a stop gap
- Down travel is limited by the sway bar at the moment, need to try and find the longer arms from a TJ rear anti-rock kit and some longer links.
- Should get basic wheel alignment done today, and test it on a travel ramp - fabricate some bump stops.
- Drag Link seems a little short....very difficult to turn right on full droop.

Wooders
27-09-10, 10:49 AM
My list from 5 days ago

A week before we are due to leave & I have the following to do:
Paint front bumper, - Painted, but still not fitted.
Make cover for trailer, - Not done yet
Swap on muddies, need an extra rim - Ordered new rims today.
Fit front tailshaft, - Not done yet
Wheel alignment badly needed, - Not done yet
Mud flaps (don't plan to get defected this time ;)) - Not done yet
Wire up the winch - Not done yet
Fit a set of driving lights. - Not done yet
Any a stack of things I have no doubt forgotten.
Last night I found the rear eye bushes were flogged. Didn't have any more bushes - so ended up just swapping the leaf packs (with new extended shackles).
Then since I have a front end noise & it's sitting too low - I stripped down the front end last night. Ready to start cutting as soon as I get home (was too late last night). So now my current check list is:

Fit ACOS Pros & front coils (Loads of cutting)
More guard trimming (at least my tyres have marked where the panels need love)
Fit new panhard bracket
Fit new front brakelines
Fit the front bumper
Fit the Winch
Fit the front tailshaft
Register Hairdresser.

Then tomorrow Need to:

Fit tyres to the new rims (hope they arrive in time)
Make mud flaps
Make trailer cover
Bigger tyres for the trailer (so it sits level)

Also might have to fit a steering brace to fix the bad creaking noice in my front end......
Packing etc......

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 11:19 AM
I need a replacement radiator coolant reservoir tank/bottle for my TJ asap. It popped off yesterday and hit one of the belts and got a hole melted in it.

Does anyone know where I can get one asap? Is there an auto salvage wrecking yard in Sydney that might have a TJ?

The hole is at the top and about 2cm x .5cm. Could I patch it with duct tape?

Steve F
27-09-10, 12:07 PM
If it's right at the top it shouldn't matter too much, I'd patch it if I couldn't get a replacement.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
27-09-10, 12:58 PM
I need a replacement radiator coolant reservoir tank/bottle for my TJ asap. It popped off yesterday and hit one of the belts and got a hole melted in it.

Does anyone know where I can get one asap? Is there an auto salvage wrecking yard in Sydney that might have a TJ?

I'm heading to Jambo tomorrow via Moscot Motors in Nowra (Need a Dizzy for the ZJ) if you can patch it for the run down I can pick it up if needed. As Steve said if it near the top it should be ok. I ran Frazer with the same sort of hole in a 60 Series.

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 12:59 PM

I think I'm just going to buy a generic tank from supercheap, but it'd be nice to know of a salvage yard in Sydney which might have TJ parts.

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 01:15 PM
I'm heading to Jambo tomorrow via Moscot Motors in Nowra (Need a Dizzy for the ZJ) if you can patch it for the run down I can pick it up if needed.

Thanks for the offer, but I just called Mascot Motors and they said they don't have the tank. It's good to know that Mascot Motors exists though. Should come in handy in the future.

Hunno
27-09-10, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the offer, but I just called Mascot Motors and they said they don't have the tank. It's good to know that Mascot Motors exists though. Should come in handy in the future.
There's also a place at Lemon Tree passage (North of Stockton) who are Jeep wreckers can't recall their name at the moment. for the future

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 01:32 PM
There's also a place at Lemon Tree passage (North of Stockton) who are Jeep wreckers can't recall their name at the moment. for the future

Ha, would've been good to know. The tank popped out on Stockton yesterday when I was jumping dunes.

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 01:39 PM
The one other thing I've got to do for the Jambo is to install an Aussie lunchbox locker on the front diff. The instructions say that it takes about 2 hours by an average person and can be done with normal tools, but I don't trust myself mechanically and have very limited tools being new to the country and living in an apartment in the city.

So I'm banking on there being some experienced people with tools at the Jambo who wouldn't mind helping as a demonstration. Apparently they have a shed for that sort of thing.

I'd like to get it in as soon as possible. Trips start at 10am so maybe Thursday early morning or Thursday evening depending on who's around. I'll have the locker, instructions, and gear oil with me.

glend
27-09-10, 01:44 PM
You'll need some RTV as well to reseal the cover.

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 02:09 PM
You'll need some RTV as well to reseal the cover.

I assume RTV is axle grease. I've got that too.

Steve F
27-09-10, 02:11 PM
I assume RTV is axle grease. I've got that too.

Its sealant to reseal the diff cover when you put it back on. Dont forget to factor that into you time for putting the locker in, ideally you want to let it cure for a while before refilling the diff with oil.

Cheers
Steve

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 02:20 PM
Its sealant to reseal the diff cover when you put it back on. Dont forget to factor that into you time for putting the locker in, ideally you want to let it cure for a while before refilling the diff with oil.

Cheers
Steve

Ah, somehow I've got some fire retardant silicone sealant as well.

So maybe Thursday evening after the full day run would be a better time so in case it takes longer than anticipated I won't put my self in jeapordy for missing any runs.

Hunno
27-09-10, 02:23 PM
Dam forgot to renew my D/L of to the RTA Quick!!!!

zjtoo
27-09-10, 05:38 PM
ill be there thursday morning i have some tools and can give you a hand ray

Pura Vida
27-09-10, 07:45 PM
ill be there thursday morning i have some tools and can give you a hand ray

Thanks Ray. I'll see you down there and we'll see how we go.

Ben

Miraz
27-09-10, 08:28 PM
Bugger....hit a snag....anyone got a 7/8" drill bit that I could borrow for a few hours?

Steve F
27-09-10, 09:45 PM
Did some simple stuff today, pulled the driveshafts out and cleaned the slip joints out and re-greased, they were very stiff. Also re-greased the unis in the driveshafts and every where else there is one, greased all grease nipples and replaced both the O2 sensors. Just need to take it for a quick test run early tomorrow and then it's ready to clean a bit more junk out and pack.

Cheers
Steve

reyzor
28-09-10, 10:44 AM
put the soft top on the jeep, and put the jambo sticker on.... it was hard work.....haha

gotta grease everything up tonight or tomorrow then i should be sweet to go.......

Miraz
28-09-10, 03:30 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/3aa3af84-6f39-eacb.jpg

Getting closer...

Cpage66
28-09-10, 07:36 PM
Did some simple stuff today, pulled the driveshafts out and cleaned the slip joints out and re-greased, they were very stiff. Also re-greased the unis in the driveshafts and every where else there is one, greased all grease nipples and replaced both the O2 sensors. Just need to take it for a quick test run early tomorrow and then it's ready to clean a bit more junk out and pack.

Cheers
Steve

Squeak free??

Steve F
28-09-10, 08:21 PM
Squeak free??

Dont know, haven't had a chance to drive it yet but it is packed. Worst case we open the windows and turn up the stereo ;)

Cheers
Steve

TRBN8R
28-09-10, 11:12 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/3aa3af84-6f39-eacb.jpg

Getting closer...

Hey Geoff

U need 42 inch tyres now to fill up the fenders. Looking good.

Wolfe
29-09-10, 01:49 AM
Just finished wrenching for tonight, have to finish off tomorrow. Just a little bit to go and then pack the truck for a 4.00pm start. How you going Mr Wooders?

Wooders
29-09-10, 10:22 AM
I stopped wrenching about 2 hours after you (3am) then started again at 6am. Just about to leave the office to get onto a heap of other tasks......busybusybusybusy day coming up :)

Maggie
29-09-10, 11:36 AM
I just hope that somebody will make notes of the bits and pieces that goes on down there and then put them together as a sort of diary for the magazine ... the Club Members who cannot go for some reason or another would appreciate reading about it with plenty of photos ... it is not hard and none of us are critics, we just want the news.

Hopefully we can get something and it doesn't turn into a non existing report .. like the Desert Trip for instance.

Maggie

Miraz
29-09-10, 11:56 AM
I've been stuffed around by work, so I'm leaving tomorrow - hoping to leave the city around 11:30 and drive straight through.....should get down there late tomorrow night.

Hunno
29-09-10, 01:14 PM
Limped into Lakes Entrance after developing a Fuel delivery problem I think. It idle's ok & smoothbut try to accelerate cough, splutter, engine dies off then picks up & dies off ......
But otherwise wow what a great run from Cooma to Orbost.

glend
29-09-10, 03:20 PM
Just had a call from gi-frog (James T), and he has arrived at the Jambo site - apparently the first SJC member there. He reports that it is bloody freezing and to bring long johns if you have them!

The weather looks better for those travelling in tomorrow and the rest of the weekend.

Wooders
29-09-10, 03:56 PM
TJ now registered.
XJ rims arrived about 15 minutes ago & were dropped off at the tyre store 10 minutes ago....since it's nearly 3pm I'm not so sure I'll be ready by our targeted 4pm departure ;)

Hunno
29-09-10, 08:46 PM
Made it...
It's not that cold but cold enough.
Got myself a machinery Shed near the gate on the left as it keeps raining on & off I'm high & dry & can work on the BLOODY HEEP. I have a problemmaxed out at 60km between Orbust & Jambo.
James must have pasted me somewhere. I will go & find him.

Miraz
29-09-10, 09:34 PM
Heep is now ready, need to pack then will be good to go in the morning....

Hunty
29-09-10, 10:19 PM
Just finished packing and wiring up my new winch - will head off first thing in the morning - Jambo here we come!

Wooders
01-10-10, 12:05 AM
Here finally :)
Left 10pm Wed night, arrived at our "overnight" pitstop at Nimmitabell at 5:45am. Got about 1/5" hours sleep before having breaky and hitting the road again/
Arrive at Jambo site just before 6pm.

Woo Hoo....
11pm Just enjoys a burbon & coke, found my RC batterys were dead so just about to call it a night.....

MOP44R
01-10-10, 01:29 PM
Heep is now ready, need to pack then will be good to go in the morning....

Cant wait to see some action shots of the new suspension mate

Miraz
04-10-10, 11:34 AM
I'll get some up later today....

Decided to run back to Sydney overnight last night, exactly 11 hours door to door....got home at 4am....