PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Case output bearing or just the Slip Yoke?

glend
09-09-10, 09:59 AM
Recently I have noticed a slight thunk while moving off. Originally I thought I might have a sticking brake pad but reading elsewhere indicates it could be the slip yoke. I crawled around underneath and tried moving the rear axle and slip yoke around to get it to produce a noise. The rear uni joint seems really tight and there is no movement. However, when I press upward on the harmonic balancer at the front of the shaft there is deflection and it does generate a noise. Is this normal or possibly a symptom of a transfer case output bearing problem?
Does this just need to be regreased?

If just grease, does anyone know how this is done and what grease to use?

Glen

Dave
09-09-10, 12:56 PM
Hi Glen,

As you know I am NOT a good mechanic, but I was getting a "clunk" when my engine mounts had failed. It was noticeable when moving off from idle, and again when turning the engine on and off. I know your car is 2 years younger than mine, but... My mechanic also wants to swap out my transmission mount at next service.

Dave

glend
18-09-10, 10:58 PM
It was the slip yoke. I dropped the axle and greased the slip yoke splines and the noise is now gone. The full write up with photos is on AJOR:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99458