PDA

View Full Version : How to fix ABS and Traction control chirping on JK Unlimited with larger tyres

glend
20-09-10, 08:31 AM
My son has removed his stock tyres (255's I think) from his JK CRD Unlimited and installed new Coopers (285/70/17s), he also has a 50mm lift. First long drive on the new rubber he has encountered some problems with the ABS and traction control going off on hard braking into downhill corners (coming down Mt Eden in Qld). His speedo is also way off now conpared to the GPS. He's obviously concerned that his bigger tyres are now causing this to happen. In my KJ is a simple matter to get the tyre size amended in the ABS and BCM modules (and most dealer service facilties can do this). Is it the same for the JK? He's a long way from a Jeep Service Centre (three hour drive). Advice?

Miraz
20-09-10, 10:22 AM
Get an AEV ProCal module - which will allow him to recalibrate everything himself...

Hunty
12-10-10, 07:41 AM
Also check that the steering wheel is ABSOLUTELY DEAD CENTRE and straight when the vehicle wheels are straight - part of the driver input sensing circuit requires the wheel to be perfectly aligned (within 1mm is ideal) the erm and esp calculate the expected G's and apply varied brakeforce to certain wheels to keep the jeep stable!
cheers Hunty
ps
I also use a procal - you can enter your wheel size and gear ratios etc - highly recommended

casey
12-10-10, 08:02 AM
get the pro cal - it will tell you when you have dead centre on the steering, and also adjust the computer for the new larger tyres to fix the odometer and speedometer.

if after everything has been reconfigured the ESP still kicks in on corners, try adjusting tyre pressure.
I found that if mine were a bit too high it would cause the ESP to kick in on corners.