Due to warranty, can only go 2" lift
What have people done and what size tire's have you got
What has worked for you and what hasn't

Thanks in advance
Rob

TRBN8R
24-09-10, 02:33 PM
Hi Rob

I have 2 inch TJM ($1200 Fitted) lift which is working fine and Cooper STTs 285/70/17 (32.71 inchTall X 11.22 inch wide). They are working wonderfully and I manage to keep up with the club on almost all the runs. Also Sway bar disconnects are a great mod with minimal cost (about $200). The disconnect make your lift work even better by providing a lot more articulation in the front axle. With the above setup I think u will be able to go most B+ tracks and also conquer about 70% of the locker country.

Cheers
Mani

reyzor
24-09-10, 03:10 PM
70% of locker country is a big call mani.... maybe people are using their lockers to early..... while the JK factory traction is good, there is no substitue for lockers... but you need to work out what sort of wheeling you want to do and go from there...at the end of the day, everything is a compramise...

Rob&Tanya
24-09-10, 05:21 PM
Have the offroad pack, so have factory rear locker and front swaybar disconnect and 3.72 diffs

TRBN8R
24-09-10, 05:39 PM
70% of locker country is a big call mani.... maybe people are using their lockers to early.....

Hi Reyzor

You r right, I got a bit overambitious with that statement. My comment was based on my observations on a few occasions where some open diff/LSD non Jeep vehicles had to use either a lot of momentum or engage lockers to get over a obstacle where I just crawled over with very little slip with my old road tyres and disconnected swaybars. One of the others ended up doing its front CV, another one did his door sill and another had to be snatched out and almost all had bigger tyres and lifts than me. Lockers are definitely a advantage as lockers are a pro active system and u can engage it in anticipation of trouble where as T/C is reactive which comes into play after you lose traction.

Cheers
Mani

CraigB
04-10-10, 08:25 PM
Rob&Tanya, check the thread here posted by Mani on my behalf "Sheared trackbar mount on front axle". Before you get any lift-work done, speak to the mech thats going to do it. I had one who actually asked me what the panhard rod is...which is fine by me - except if your the potential mech to work on my wrangler.

There are considerable disagreements and opinions from different 'experts' regarding suspension lifts of "only 2 inches", I'm not an expert or a mech, but I do know what work was done on my JK, who did it, what worked and what didn't. So talk first - I guarantee you will be surprised how much people on this forum actually know, over and above a certified expert mech...

You dont want to have your'e newly acquired fun-machine stuck in a workshop for two months undergoing major surgery, because an 'expert' wasn't such an expert after all. Wherever you go or wherever you ring to get your work done, if a mech says "you dont need adjustable panhard rods and extended swaybar linkages both front and rear with only a 2" lift"

RUN TO THE HILLS LIKE CUSTER IS CHASING YOU AND NEVER GO BACK THERE OR GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY...

pilameya people, enjoy your vehicle
CRB

CraigB
04-10-10, 08:39 PM
Oh yeah, forgot the tyres, I run exactly the same as Mani Cooper STT 285/70R17. There are plenty more options too. This size tyre suits the basic modified JK perfectly. There's always that saying about the more you play with bigger tyres etcetc too....

...call that a 'nominal' 33" tyre.

If you ever want go up to a 'nominal' or actual 35" tyre, there are mechanical issues, which will lead to warranty issues, not to mention the $$$. If the dollars aren't an issue, then you will find you will also need to change your stock flares to achieve greater coverage for the larger rubber and so you dont rip the stock flares off in some wild articulation, possibly also scrubbing inside - with these bigger sizes, you will also have to consider a different wheel rim than the stock and also a bar with a swing-away tyre carrier. Once you get that far, your diff gear ratios will need to be changed - instantly voiding warranty in that area.

If warranty doesn't bother you and believe me, it certainly doesn't bother the dealer, because the fact is the dealer will fight tooth and nail NOT to honour it anyway - and if money doesn't concern you, and why should it? after all you cant take it with you can you? Then go to town and spend your childrens inheritance on the 35" tyres and associated 'domino-affect' purchases you will need, because a JK on 35" rubber is utterly awesome....

CRB