PDA

View Full Version : HELP? New JK Unlimited Sport or 07/08 Rubicon Unlimited

Dazed&Confused
09-10-10, 06:46 PM
Hi All..This will be my first Jeeep...And I will definately be joining the SJC..But I need your help and wealth of knowledge. Initially I would only see us doing dunes and fire trails (need to warm the GF to 4x4 adventures) So the question is; Do I get an 07/08 Rubicon unlimited with 40,000km that has already has 3" lift, 33" tyres,snorkel,dual battery, and Front bar with winch for $35k-$37k (only used for touring..Apparently). Or a Brand new 2010 unlimited Sport for $37k Drive away with sidesteps,Speaker upgrade,Hardtop & 3yr warranty, and add to it over time? I'd defintatly get a new front bar straight away, then look at ARB air lockers, lift. tyres etc as we progress? Many Thanks..

glend
09-10-10, 07:36 PM
Half the fun is in the building it up the way you want it. I'd go with the new one as you will not be having to deal with whatever abuse the second hand one has endured, and you'll have a warranty.

MOP44R
09-10-10, 07:52 PM
Yer but your looking at about $10K worth of kit on the 07 so if you know you cant spend that extra I would be going the 07.

I would certainly recommend getting some sort of inspection down first as that could answer this question for you straight away

Maggie
09-10-10, 08:14 PM
Are you looking at a 2 door or 4 door as one of our members has a JK auto diesel two door for sale ... check out our For Sale Section

casey
10-10-10, 11:38 AM
I'd buy the 07...

...and if you were here about 3 weeks ago I could have sold you mine :P

Dazed&Confused
11-10-10, 11:23 PM
Looks Like the GF wants a new one rather than 2nd hand...test drove a petrol manual & Auto..Auto feels a little down on power...Think i'd be fine to add ARB airlockers and disconnect swaybars ($4k fitted)..Better than ORG pack I've heard? So really I think it now comes down to petrol or diesel..Is the diesel worth $5k over petrol?
Manual Petrol 4dr: $37k DA, Manual Diesel 4dr: $42K DA, or Rubicon 4d $46500k DA...Pretty Sure I caold turn the Manaul sport petrol into a beast for the $10k diff to Runicon?

Steve F
12-10-10, 12:22 AM
The advantage with the Rubicon is you get the 4:1 transfercase and the Dana 44 front diff. I doubt you'd replace both of those within the $10000 difference in price and both are a real bonus if you plan on bigger tyres ;)

Cheers
Steve

casey
12-10-10, 08:05 AM
get the 07 rubicon.

its a rubicon. 'nuff said.

Dazed&Confused
15-10-10, 04:17 PM
Looks like i need to keep the little lady happy..So we'll be going for a 2011 Rubicon in manual...I know silver is probably the smart colour, but is it a Big mistake to get black..considering I can take the doors off if im going way off road? Black just looks soo much nicer..

glend
15-10-10, 04:28 PM
There are heaps of Black ones around. The Jambo Show and Shine was loaded with Black ones. It maybe my imagination but black seems to attrack the police better, and it really shows up the bush scratches (seems to have a pale undercoat). With the silver, or any metallic colour, you have a good thick clear coat over the base metallic which can mean being able to puff out the bush pin stripes. Maybe they clearcoat the solid colours as well.

1stJeep
15-10-10, 07:35 PM
Always bet on black!! I got black, but only because there were no blue ones left! Black will show the scratches more, but there is no hiding that no matter what colour you get, there will be scratches.

Hunty
15-10-10, 07:57 PM
Hi
Ive got a black one - sure it looks good! (according to my wife - its her favourite colour) LoL
It does take a lot of cleaning!
I take the doors off to go wheelin - still got way to many annoying scratches for my liking - if you like your welcome to come along to the next Club Meeting and take a closer look
cheers Hunty
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/DSCN1030.jpg

MOP44R
16-10-10, 10:35 AM
Steel Blue is another great colour as you get the darker colour at night and the blue in the day

rupicon
16-10-10, 07:48 PM
I like black every time I wash my jeep it shows, black is the only way to go

jk1978
17-10-10, 08:36 AM
New is always new and peace of mind .Mate got a black one its the worst mistake he made thats what he told me .They look good but hard to clean .I think silver is the best but i got maroon 4dr not bad easy to mantain wanted a jeep green but wife.........

TRBN8R
17-10-10, 09:11 AM
If scared of scratches try white. Never shows any scratches.

Dazed&Confused
17-10-10, 10:35 AM
I understand the Rubicon comes with better shocks than the Sport..So if I want to lift it only 2" for waranty purposes..Does something like the TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost & Shock Adapter kit make sense..or do you really need to go a kit with new springs, shocks & adjustable panhard? Dealers seem to only offer Old man emu and mopar kits..Is one better than the other? As always your suggestions are appreciated..

Dazed&Confused
17-10-10, 10:45 AM
Also..
Thanks for all the comments guys...The Sahara Tan also looks kina nice/different..not sure how it would look with the black guards and roof tho..I've only seen sahara model with colour coded bits on the web.
.The Rubi also comes with 32" tyres, is it worth $450.tyre from dealer to go to 33" or should I wear out the stockies first?As always your suggestions are appreciated

TRBN8R
17-10-10, 11:11 AM
Hi Mate

Just had a look at sahara tan looks good and probably will hide scratches and dirt bettrer than any other colour. Regarding lift I paid $1200 for 4 taller springs and bigger shocks (including labor) from TJM and my only regret was why didnt I do it sooner. I didnt go adjustable panhards as there was no need for it. Budget Boost will set u back about $300 - 450 but it is well worth the extra money for the springs and shocks. The axle sits about 10mm off center but that is well within expectation. Factory tyre are either 255/70/R17 = 32" or 245/75/R17 = 31.5 inch. 245s look skinny and really vulnerable to me. I had 255s for about 30,000 Ks before I put on a set of second hand 285/70/R17 Cooper STTs, and the difference is noticeable off road. Only exception was in sand where stockies performed heaps better. If u can afford go 285/70/R17 as soon as u can and sell the stockies on Ebay, SJC or AJOR forums.

So a Rubi with 2 inch spring lift and 285/70/R17 muddies or agressive ATs like Mickey Thompson 4 Rib ATs and a bit of common sense will be a great off road weapon which can take on most of Australian terrain with the exception of some tracks which require some suicidal tendencies and a lot of money to burn on lifting the Jeep 4-6 inches 35-40 inch tyres, regearing and the list goes on.

stevet
17-10-10, 01:49 PM
The Rubicon also comes with standard rock/side rails........... Side steps will get trashed sooner than later so save your money there to start with, unlimited factory sidesteps bend easier than the short wheel base JK's ones........... The Rubicon comes better set up from ground up so after getting to know what it can do and by then knowing hopefully what you want to do with it eg, mostly touring, rough tracks, a bit off rock crawling or whatever, then worry about what lift to put in to suit what you need and again save some dosh by not upgrading with a second lift. Lifted or not, you will be snatched out of some situations oneday along the line............
Tyres? -- Wear out the stock ones, until you can get some decent off-road tyres. You can pick up some good deals on used tyres here and there from members upgrading theirs or from other forums (Ausjeepoffroad) etc, or buy elsewhere new and sell your new stock tyres to offset some costs ( was the dealer going to give you the standard tyres if you upgraded, proberly not!!)..........You will get a better deal on any tyre from most tyre dealers and they will give the new old ones to you if you want them. You could proberly get a set of steel wheels as well with the money you could save.by advoiding dealer deals/costs...
Go M/T's for off-road. They are no noiser than A/T's on road if you look after them by regular rotation to reduce feathering to the M/T reducing/preventing tyre roar....
Mickey Thompson's or Procomp's are real good with Maxxis M/T's a good budget tyre as stated by several club members tyre choices.
Colour?? whatever YOU want if available. Everyone's choice will vary. There are pro's & con's for all colours but they ALL will show up the odd "love line" over time---- unavoidable if you go off-road......
P.S. For non-Rubicon unlimited owners out there, yes I would own one if I could.... Any "Jeep" fairies out there??, and yes, I still believe in Santa as well..???....:)............
Welcome to the Jeeping world Dazed&Confused8).............:).
Stephen T.

Reszo
18-10-10, 08:23 PM
I was asking the same question as yourself - second hand Rubi, or new Sport. The Rubi that I purchased was an stock 09 model, and I got it since I did not want to stuff around with after market lockers, steps etc.. At the end of the day however, I have not needed all the funky Rubicon features. Thats not to say that I wont take advantage of them (hopefully) soon :)