PDA

View Full Version : Rear Uni's

khalak
18-10-10, 01:07 PM
As the guys that were at Jambo know, I destroyed the rear uni on the way down to Melbourne. Well, on the way back the same thing started happening again. I have destroyed a brand new uni in about 1500km.

My question is, besides getting an SYE and DC driveshaft, is there anything I can do to stop destroying them? At present I can't afford to get the work done.

glend
18-10-10, 01:22 PM
Gee, sorry to hear that. How about this (and I'm certainly no TJ expert) is it possible to Shim the driveline to try and return the running angle to non-destructive alignment? I guess my second suggestion would be to take out whatever lift you have while you sort it out.

Steve F
18-10-10, 02:17 PM
Drop the cross member to lower the tcase a bit, some washers between cross member and frame is all that's needed in the short term, start at 10mm and see if that helps.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
18-10-10, 04:01 PM
Drop the cross member to lower the tcase a bit, some washers between cross member and frame is all that's needed in the short term, start at 10mm and see if that helps.

Cheers
Steve

This is what I got in the lift kit for the ZJ. 10mm spacer & it seems to be working.

khalak
19-10-10, 11:19 AM
I already have a huge spacer between the skid plate (which the t-case is attached to) and the chassis rails. Is this where you are talking about?

Would installing adjustable control arms on the rear (upper or lower?) solve the problem? And, when I get the SYE and shaft done I will be able to re-adjust?

Hunno
19-10-10, 12:34 PM
the spacer sits between the Chassis & the cross member(which the gearbox & transfer case sits on near the back half). As far as I understand it, yes adjustable Upper & low control arms can adjust the angles of the drive line.

Wooders
19-10-10, 04:47 PM
Check the yoke isn't damaged - even slight damage (eg missing nibs) can allow the uni to move & wear prematurely.

B8FF5410-B853-EF6A-1BBD-67646B13F1C0