PDA

View Full Version : Free Fab Offered

85cj7
21-10-10, 08:49 PM
Howdy:
My name is Ryan and I am a visiting Yank from the deep South, Texas. I am doing my Grad. Degree at UNSW and have been in Sydney from July of this year.

Classes are finished for me and I'm going through some serious wheeling/wrenching withdrawal, so I'm putting out an offer for me to work on your rig for free!

I am an experienced custom fabricator who has been a founding member of Texas A&M Off-Road club and an acting officer of the same for the past 5 years. I am mostly experienced in older jeeps, pre-1986, but have worked on and built up everything from XJ's to TJs to Fords and Chevys, even throw in the odd Rover. I am well versed in lift installs, grinding, torch work, plasma cutting, welding (mig), and turning a wrench or two;D.

So if you are doing some work and need a hand, then I am your man. I'll attach some examples of my work if people would like. I'm not looking to make a profit, just something to do to entertain myself and get my Jeep fix.

Oh, by the way I am in Kensington, right next to the Uni, so if you are far away and would like help then we might have to make some transport arrangements. Looking forwards to seeing how the southern hemisphere wheels. Take care-Ryan

Hunno
21-10-10, 09:16 PM
Sounds Like a great offer Ryan.
I'm awaiting my Cj6 to turn up in mid to late November. I have a 351 Clevo ready to go in but still need to get a gear box & transfer case that I want to use.
I might take you up on your offer & I'll get some beers & food going too.

Hunno

TRBN8R
21-10-10, 09:23 PM
Hey Ryan Howdy

Mate we r running a trip to Zig Zag (One of thse clubs favourite destinations) this Sunday. I have a passenger seat that needs a passenger. If u wanna go wheeling with us make ur way to Blacktown Train Station by 0700 Hrs Sunday I can pick u up from there (Food and Drinks on me) and u can treat ur withdrawals and meet some Down under Jeepers. If interested see my post regarding Zig Zag 24/10/2010 in Trip reports and suggestion section. My number is 0405801230. Give me a call if interested to finalize the arrangements.

Cheers
Mani

85cj7
21-10-10, 09:45 PM
Hey Ryan Howdy

Mate we r running a trip to Zig Zag (One of thse clubs favourite destinations) this Sunday. I have a passenger seat that needs a passenger. If u wanna go wheeling with us make ur way to Blacktown Train Station by 0700 Hrs Sunday I can pick u up from there (Food and Drinks on me) and u can treat ur withdrawals and meet some Down under Jeepers. If interested see my post regarding Zig Zag 24/10/2010 in Trip reports and suggestion section. My number is 0405801230. Give me a call if interested to finalize the arrangements.

Cheers
Mani

That sounds like a great offer, I'm afraid us Southerner's hospitality may be trumped by you Aussies! I would love to tag along, and will give you a call sometime tomorrow to finalize. As for getting to Blacktown from Kensington, does taking the bus to central station and then the city rail to blacktown station make the most sense? Educate me on the finer points of Sydney public transpo if needed. Thanks again for the offer Mani!

85cj7
21-10-10, 09:47 PM
Sounds Like a great offer Ryan.
I'm awaiting my Cj6 to turn up in mid to late November. I have a 351 Clevo ready to go in but still need to get a gear box & transfer case that I want to use.
I might take you up on your offer & I'll get some beers & food going too.

Hunno

Are you thinking manual or auto? If manual I would recommend the np-435 to dana-300 route, I have it in my 7 and love the granny low crawl. If auto then ya can't beat the reliability of the C6 or little brother C4 and a basic dana 20. Let me know. I would love to get my hands on a CJ-6.

Hunno
21-10-10, 09:54 PM
http://www.131500.com.au use this website

here's one option:
Option 1 : 1 hour 18 minutes

Walk to bus stop Anzac Pde Nr Addison St, Kensington - 93 metres
Take the 393 bus (Sydney Buses)
Dep: 5:26am Anzac Pde Nr Addison St, Kensington
Arr: 5:36am Chalmers St Nr Eddy Av, Sydney

Take the North Shore and Western train (CityRail)
Dep: 5:51am Central Station Platform 18, Sydney
Arr: 6:42am Blacktown Station Platform 2

85cj7
21-10-10, 10:00 PM
cool, exactly what I was thinking. thanks.

Hunno
21-10-10, 10:05 PM
Are you thinking manual or auto? If manual I would recommend the np-435 to dana-300 route, I have it in my 7 and love the granny low crawl. If auto then ya can't beat the reliability of the C6 or little brother C4 and a basic dana 20. Let me know. I would love to get my hands on a CJ-6.

Not sure Manual or Auto yet I've always believed in manuals but the auto is just so easy, but I have looked into np435 already seems a good choice.

Steve F
21-10-10, 11:49 PM
We've also got a run up to Stockton beach at the end of the month (31st October) so if you're keen to come play in the dunes let me know and we'll organise a seat for you. I'll most likely have a spare and I'm sure others will too.

Cheers
Steve

TRBN8R
21-10-10, 11:55 PM

here's one option:

Cheers Hunno

U sorted everything already.

Also Ryan I have to start work at 1330 Hrs tomorrow and my phone stays in the locker at work. So give me a call before that if possible.

Cheers
Mani

85cj7
22-10-10, 01:16 AM
Well, I thought I would put a quick compilation of some of my work together so that people don't think I am a hack mechanic. Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Here is what we are building down in Texas.

The first is a fully rebuild NP-435 with new novak adapter and main shaft with a rebuild d-300 with jbconversion 4:1 gears

Second-Series 1 Rover, full custom bumper

Third-Custom 609 rear axle, full floating, 35 spline, spool, strange nodular case, 4.88 gears, dana 60 outers, narrowed to 60" WMS with d-44 disk brakes, custom truss and shave

Fourth-My Baby: 1985 CJ7 on 37" MTRS. Dana 44 front, 609 rear, 302 H.O. motor, NP-435, Dana 300, full cage, flat belly, rear and front stretch, soon to be sitting at 99" WB with a 140:1 crawl ratio

Fifth-Not much left of a chevy custom but rolling on 42"s and 1-tons

85cj7
22-10-10, 01:22 AM
Thought I could sneak in a few more. ;D

1st- Tearing up Katemcy Rocks in Katemcy Texas.

2nd-Catching a little hang time in Clayton Oklahoma

3rd-F-100 tubed truggy on 44"s

One of the guys in my club made it to Top Truck Challenge this past year, me and a few buddies installed a dual TBI 454 before his trip to California
http://www.fourwheeler.com/top_truck_challenge/2010/129_1011_ed_buster_1978_chevy_c10/index.html

Thanks guys, looking forward to meeting yall.

Cpage66
22-10-10, 06:26 AM
We're doing a dismantling day on the 30th at my house on a '78 Scout...wanna' come tear down?

85cj7
22-10-10, 11:21 AM
We're doing a dismantling day on the 30th at my house on a '78 Scout...wanna' come tear down?

78 would have to be the scout II right? The best tool to use on scouts is a saw-zaw, ha ha! But yes, I could be up for that. Just point me in the right direction.

Cpage66
22-10-10, 04:46 PM
Yep...I'll pm ya'...

stevet
22-10-10, 04:47 PM

here's one option:

Hi Ryan,
Mani, I could pick-up Ryan from the station on my way, saves you back tracking, not far from the station for me.......:)...................... Let me know!!.............
Ryan, just in case, I have a black soft top TJ.............. 0412-707903..............:)...
Stephen T.

TRBN8R
22-10-10, 11:59 PM
Hi Ryan,
Mani, I could pick-up Ryan from the station on my way, saves you back tracking, not far from the station for me.......:)...................... Let me know!!.............
Ryan, just in case, I have a black soft top TJ.............. 0412-707903..............:)...
Stephen T.

No worries Mr T

I will pm you his phone number and u can ring him up.

85cj7
25-10-10, 09:41 PM
BUMP:

Anyone who went on Sundays trip find out that they have a need for a new upgrade or repair?

Hunno
25-10-10, 10:33 PM
yer 33's & some cutting. But it has to wait.

khalak
26-10-10, 07:42 AM
I need an SYE install...

85cj7
26-10-10, 12:25 PM
I need an SYE install...

What manufacturers parts? JB conversion, Advanced Adapters, or is it a hack'n'tap? I have never installed one as I specialize more on fixed yoke rear application transfercases but they are fairly easy to install and can be done with the case still in the jeep. If you want to give it a go I'm sure we could get it done with great results. Also remember that SYE (depending on brand) extend the rear tailshaft of your transfercase thus shortening you rear d-shaft. Just something else to jeep in mind. Let me know.

khalak
26-10-10, 12:28 PM
Its an Advanced Adapters kit, I will be posting something up about a install day once the kit arrives and I sort out what tools etc I am going to need. The places I have spoken to so far wanna charge me about 600 bucks to install it....

stevet
26-10-10, 12:35 PM
Ryan,
When did you think you were going to leave Aussie???........:p.............:)...............

85cj7
26-10-10, 02:20 PM
Its an Advanced Adapters kit, I will be posting something up about a install day once the kit arrives and I sort out what tools etc I am going to need. The places I have spoken to so far wanna charge me about 600 bucks to install it....

That is ridiculous. This is a afternoon project at worse. I am assuming a NP-231? This install can become complicated because installing the SYE is only the first step. A fixed yoke 1310 CV style driveshaft then has to be acquired and shortened to length ( a front d-shaft off a 90s XJ is a good candidate). Also the pinion angle on the rear axle will most likely need to be rotated as CV driveshafts require the pinion of the rear axle to point straight at the output on the transfercase instead of parallel with the output as is the case with a standard non-cardinal driveshaft. Just trying to give you some heads up, It would be preferable to have all the parts on hand for this upgrade instead of trying to piece it together on the spot.

85cj7
26-10-10, 02:20 PM
Ryan,
When did you think you were going to leave Aussie???........:p.............:)...............

I'll be going over to NZ between Christmas and New Years. So late Dec.

Wooders
26-10-10, 03:48 PM
The best tool to use on scouts is a saw-zaw, ha ha!.
I like my sawzall and my plasma cutter is pretty cool - but for seriously chopping stuff up I want one of these:
http://www.worldofpower.co.uk//Gallery/product/MAKDPC6410-12-3Popup.jpg

Will2003tj
26-10-10, 10:17 PM
I need my rear coil buckets relocated...........

85cj7
27-10-10, 02:20 AM
I need my rear coil buckets relocated...........

Did you stretch the wheelbase? It is fairly simple to salvage the old coil buckets and retainers and just move them back, but new spring pads could me fabed or bough for fairly cheap and would be a cleaner look.

Will2003tj
27-10-10, 08:24 PM
Nah, no stretch.

I have 2.5" lift and the bad factory upper coil bucket angle on the rear, has allready caused a spring to fold.

I work on my jeep at my parents property in kenthurst (about an hours drive from kensington), but thats not saying we could drive out early for the day and get it done. I might see if anyone else wants to get involved? as i dont have grinders / air compressor tools. I have a big uni mig though.

Id want to try to keep the orginal coil buckets, we can gusset / strengthen with scrap if need be.

What degree are you studying?

85cj7
27-10-10, 11:10 PM
Nah, no stretch.

I have 2.5" lift and the bad factory upper coil bucket angle on the rear, has allready caused a spring to fold.

I work on my jeep at my parents property in kenthurst (about an hours drive from kensington), but thats not saying we could drive out early for the day and get it done. I might see if anyone else wants to get involved? as i dont have grinders / air compressor tools. I have a big uni mig though.

Id want to try to keep the orginal coil buckets, we can gusset / strengthen with scrap if need be.

What degree are you studying?

Oh I see, a 4.5" angle grinder would be required at the min. A oxy-acet. torch or plasma would be preferable. I am finishing up a Masters of Conservation Biology degree at UNSW.

85cj7
31-10-10, 08:57 PM
Went over to Chris's house on Sat. to turn a wrench or two. Thanks to Chris for his hospitality and transport. Also thanks to Ryan for his help.

We started work on his Scout II at about 9am and had it ripped apart by about 5pm. So, put in a full days work. The axles/trans/transfercase/engine/and all salvageable pieces of sheet metal and trim pieces had to come off.

I forgot to take pictures of the before stage, but it started as a complete running vehicle. Here are some after snap shots.

Steve F
31-10-10, 08:59 PM
Looks a bit like Chris's WJ at the moment ;)

Cheers
Steve

85cj7
02-11-10, 10:12 PM
Bump.

Anybody want any free labor?

85cj7
08-11-10, 02:02 AM
I have a wide open calendar this week. Any takers? Send me a PM.

Wooders
08-11-10, 03:00 AM
Any good at plumbing ;)
Man it is such a shame I am upto my eyeballs with house renovations or I'd be calling in all sorts of undeserved favours for my project rigs.

85cj7
13-12-10, 01:27 AM
Went over to Ryan's today and Steve, Ryan and I got his Jeep back on the road with no catastrophic consequences. Ha ha.

Last weekend the bulk of an advanced adapters NP-231 fixed output was installed into the case. We buttoned up the remaining things for that in the morning, removed the 1" skid plate drop pucks, installed the new cv-driveshaft and got on the rubicon express adjustable upper and lower control arms for the rear. Re-adjusted the pinion angle for the new cv-drivehshaft and I think Ryan is happy to report that everything is in good working order with no driveline vibrations. Thanks for a day out of the house Ryan and good seeing you again Steve.