PDA

View Full Version : ZJ Brake upgrade

a_boogs
27-10-10, 04:19 PM
Hey guys,

Looking at upgrading the brakes on my 96 ZJ Grand Cherokee Laredo . My current rotors have already been machined as much as they can be and the cost of upgrading to slotted rotors is only an extra $70/ pair. So i was wondering if anyone could tell me if replacing my solid rortors with slotted ones (but not cross drilled) would in any way be a bad idea. I guess i am most concerned that when going through very wet areas off road they might be more prone to warping??? . Any thoughts would be great???

Steve F
27-10-10, 04:39 PM
I've been running slotted rotors (albeit BA Falcon rotors and calipers) on the front of my XJ for a few years now with no problems. I think the twin spot calipers and larger diameter rotors were a good upgrade but just a decent set of stock size rotors and a good quality set of pads can certainly help.

Cheers
Steve

stevet
27-10-10, 04:54 PM
Slotted rotor's will clean the disc/pads better then solid rotors. Any, Any rotor can warp if care is not taken at times, eg, after coming down a slope with heavy braking all the way. Sensible thing to do is to stop, check out the water crossing if unfamiliar/ or a familiar one, as some will tell you within the club. This will give your brake rotors that bit of time to cool down enough to hopefully prevent any rotor warping. Only had solid rotors in my old JZ, replaced x2 over time, but slotted rotors were going to be on the list when possible but the standard ones will do the job in most circumstances.........Don't know if they would have made a great deal of difference with my style of driving at the time..........no rush to get anywhere in a hurry.......:).............
P.S. Have some black leather Laredo seats for sale..:p.:).....

85cj7
27-10-10, 10:16 PM
The only benefit of installing slotted roters is to more quickly dissipate the buildup of gasses from extreme braking conditions. Unless you are running a JeepSpeed ZJ or in the Baja500 I would think you would not notice any difference from slotted versus standard roters. With that being said, I am sure you will notice an immediate improvement from used pads and spent rotors to new parts. If you feel like added braking power is required after that then I would looking into a hydroboost set up or possibly some 4 piston calipers, such as willwood replacements. I believe ZJs came stock with 2 piston calipers like most jeeps of this era. In short, I would save my money for a more worthy upgrade.

a_boogs
27-10-10, 10:29 PM
P.S. Have some black leather Laredo seats for sale..:p.:).....

I already have aftermarket bucket seats up front but could use a double cardan driveshaft if you still have it!!!

stevet
28-10-10, 09:04 AM
I already have aftermarket bucket seats up front but could use a double cardan driveshaft if you still have it!!!
Sold already..:(.. Still have the old rear one for a spare for anyone............:)..........