PDA

View Full Version : Engine cutting out

ghog
28-10-10, 09:03 PM
Cherokee 1996 4 litre
My engine just dies, no apparent earth, tacho just dies at the same time. Computor has been checked, it doesn't seem to be a heat related issue as it can happen cold or hot. Computor seems to have power to it.
any ideas to check out would be great I am out of ideas.???

Steve F
28-10-10, 09:05 PM
What sort of Jeep?

Cheers
Steve

ghog
28-10-10, 09:08 PM
sorry it is a 1996 Cherokee Sport 4 litre

stevet
28-10-10, 10:12 PM
TPS or Crank angle sensor in the Dizzy??....Fuel pump??.................................

85cj7
28-10-10, 11:06 PM
Engines only need two things to run, spark and fuel. Narrow does your search by methodically testing each part that supplies one of those two.
Fuel: Check the fuel pump, pickup, filter, lines, relay. The fuel pump should be an internal tank model which is a bit more a pain to check but try unhooking the lines from the fuel filter and turning the key to the on position. The pump should prime, then try turning it over, the pump should run. If it passes this test than everything from that point back is dandy including the relay. Clogged fuel pump could also be a problem. Might want the reassurance to just replace that. There should also be a shrader valve (i believe in the pass. side fuel rail) which you can hook a gauge up to to test fuel pressure, monitor this while trying to recreate the engine dieing. If it is wavy or varying in pressure than that should be an indication of a fuel related issue.
Spark: It could be a variety of things, check with obvious blown fuses in both the engine and cab compartment. The engine is running (at least for a while) so you know the distributor is firing. Timing could however be an issue, checking with a timing light would not be a bad idea. If a sensor such as the TPS was out, or a misfire was had, then it should throw a code. Check the OBDII port with a code scanner. This should pretty much diagnose any and all electrical related issues.

More info on the history behind my this is happening would make it far easier to diagnose the problem. Have you made any recent changes?

Wooders
29-10-10, 09:58 AM
Actually a petrol engine needs 3 things to Fuel, spark & air (whereas diesel needs on just fuel & air) ;).
Being a 96 XJ it's probably OBD1 unfortunately. But 85cj7's list is a great starting point.
I don't think a TPS would cause the problem, although certainly a faulty CrankPosSensor could.
But my gut thinks its possibly an earth problem or a loose connection for the ECU.

Steve F
29-10-10, 10:10 AM
I'd also go with an earth problem, there are plenty that could cause the problem. Even if the airbag module isn't earthed properly (under the center console) the Jeep will die.

Cheers
Steve

sbadman
30-10-10, 06:44 AM
Actually a petrol engine needs 3 things to Fuel, spark & air (whereas diesel needs on just fuel & air) ;).

4 things, compression ;) (In a diesel the compression also serves as the 'spark', as compression causes heat. Try unhooking the airline off a compressor after running it for 10 minutes to see an example of this :D)

skeeta
06-12-10, 05:15 PM
hi, i am a new member, SKEETA. i haye just purchased a 2000 model grand cherokee loredo & am haying the same problem.. it just cuts out after taking off. it just neutralises its self. but, when i let my foot off & then put my foot back down again it will come back to life again. sometimes when i go to start it, it will turn over but wont start....