PDA

View Full Version : Water in Jeep

TRBN8R
02-11-10, 06:11 PM
Hi All

I was at Lake Lyle with some workmates (I think I have successfully converted one of them from Mitsubishi Challenger to Jeep;D). I had a great time going around the obstacles and the Jeep performed better than my expectation. Thanks Sandy for the tyres they r wonderful on the rocks and in mud. Thanks Steve F for the guide in the Favorite Club Destinations section.

Now coming to the real issue. The creeks were flooding with water from last night's rain. Most of the crossings we did the water was upto my bonnet. One crossing was perticularly deep and we had to drive against the flow for about 15-20 seconds. And my bonnet was under under water for almost all that time. my passenger noticed water gushing out from under the dash on the passenger side. With gushing I mean about 3 litres in 15 seconds. Normally the jeep has never leaked in rain. Is this normal or should I be worried ????

Cheers and thanks for ur advise in advance

Mani

Steve F
02-11-10, 06:17 PM
How high under the dash? could be coming in around a grommet in the firewall. Also could be coming in around the fresh air inlets. They are designed to cope with heavy rain etc but maybe it couldn't drain away fast enough to cope with 100's of liters pouring in at once ;)

Cheers
Steve

TRBN8R
02-11-10, 06:59 PM
How high under the dash? could be coming in around a grommet in the firewall. Also could be coming in around the fresh air inlets. They are designed to cope with heavy rain etc but maybe it couldn't drain away fast enough to cope with 100's of liters pouring in at once ;)

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve

I couldnt trace the source of the leak but after reading ur post the air inlets sound like the most probable explanation as water came in only when the whole bonnet was submerged. The flow of water looked much more than that can flow thru a leaking grommet. I was driving in deep water (water level above my 33 inch tyres) before and after the event but water only came in when the bonnet was totally submerged and I was pushing against the flow of water.

Thanks for the quick reply and putting my worries to rest.

Thinking in hindsight today I could have called a club trip. We had the whole jungle to ourselves. Got in at 1000 Hrs and got out at 1500 Hrs and didnt see a single car.

Mani

Hunno
02-11-10, 08:26 PM
Same thing Happened in my old 60 series.
As for calling a club trip wish you had, I'm a shift worker who sat at home yesterday.
If anyone wants to calll mid week trips I only work 3 days a week (I love 12hrs Shifts).

reyzor
03-11-10, 06:36 AM
my jeep leaks when i hose the engine bay out with the fire hose..... not as much as what you described but i also dont put her that deep in lol.... my guess would be the fresh air intake as steve said or possible up through the air con drain.

sounds like the jeep went well underwater mate.... i would have though the electrical nightmare which is the JK would have gone haywire

TRBN8R
03-11-10, 07:52 AM
sounds like the jeep went well underwater mate.... i would have though the electrical nightmare which is the JK would have gone haywire

It went really well mate, did not miss a beat. Actually not much water got into the engine bay. It was relatively dry inside the bay. Mate the club should have been there yesterday i have never seen water that deep in the creeks there. It was really great fun.

PS Steve F this Tapatalk thing works great i dont even turn my computer on most of the times.

Cheers
Mani

SteveC
03-11-10, 04:55 PM
The problem with water that deep is if you get stuck in a hole you were not expecting or you loose traction (not that that happens often in a Jeep), Then water will just fill up everywhere - even under the bonnet. with later models this can cause huge problems with electrics if muddy water enters where it normally does not. The electrics can be found throughout most vehicle these days - even in the oddest of places
I heard from a tour operator that a Jeep in that group (2 months ago) lost traction up near the cape going trough a moderate depth but had to be towed back as water entered some electrical component that was under the seat. $10,000 later!!! ouch!!!
Perhaps older vehicle have an advantage here......when it comes the wading depth.

TRBN8R
04-11-10, 12:42 PM
I agree steve withe the electronix being vulnerable but i reckon they will be water resistant enough to give me sufficient time for recovery. Another good thing that came out of this trip was my underbody got a thorough cleaning no sign of mud in any corner. First crossing i under estimated but the jeep just walked thru without any drama that gave me a bit of confidence to be a bit more adventurous.

Steve F
04-11-10, 02:06 PM
The problem with water that deep is if you get stuck in a hole you were not expecting or you loose traction (not that that happens often in a Jeep), Then water will just fill up everywhere - even under the bonnet. with later models this can cause huge problems with electrics if muddy water enters where it normally does not. The electrics can be found throughout most vehicle these days - even in the oddest of places
I heard from a tour operator that a Jeep in that group (2 months ago) lost traction up near the cape going trough a moderate depth but had to be towed back as water entered some electrical component that was under the seat. $10,000 later!!! ouch!!!
Perhaps older vehicle have an advantage here......when it comes the wading depth.

The XJ came with the airbag module under the passenger seat, Jeep did a recall to move it up on the transmission hump behind the handbrake, the reason was if you got water in the jeep the airbag module would get damaged. They didn't move anything else and I've had water up to my seats with no problems (other than stinky carpet). Maybe Jeeps are just that bit more basic, at least the XJ anyway.

Cheers
Steve

85cj7
04-11-10, 04:41 PM
If you do get water in the MA sensor, crankcase position sensor, TPS, distributor, anywhere. Just unplug the part and spray in some WD-40. It is hydrophobic and will repel water from sensors. Also works decently as a preventative. I wouldn't be as worried as sucking water into the intake as I would be drowning out a distributor or soaking a fuse panel or fuel pump relay. Just my two cents.

Hunno
04-11-10, 06:16 PM
If you do get water in the MA sensor, crankcase position sensor, TPS, distributor, anywhere. Just unplug the part and spray in some WD-40. It is hydrophobic and will repel water from sensors. Also works decently as a preventative. I wouldn't be as worried as sucking water into the intake as I would be drowning out a distributor or soaking a fuse panel or fuel pump relay. Just my two cents.?????????

Hmmmmmmm, water in the intake ha?

http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?1821-Winner-of-the-Bugger-Award-Iwasn-t-even-4wding

:'(:'(:'(

SteveC
05-11-10, 08:45 AM
I agree that WD40 is good for electrics but not so for electronics once they short out. That's why later examples of components such as winches for example have there electronics incased in a silicon style substance. Not sure how it dispels the heat though

TRBN8R
08-11-10, 03:55 PM
Hi All

I was at Lake Lyle with some workmates (I think I have successfully converted one of them from Mitsubishi Challenger to Jeep;D). I had a great time going around the obstacles and the Jeep performed better than my expectation. Thanks Sandy for the tyres they r wonderful on the rocks and in mud. Thanks Steve F for the guide in the Favorite Club Destinations section.

Now coming to the real issue. The creeks were flooding with water from last night's rain. Most of the crossings we did the water was upto my bonnet. One crossing was perticularly deep and we had to drive against the flow for about 15-20 seconds. And my bonnet was under under water for almost all that time. my passenger noticed water gushing out from under the dash on the passenger side. With gushing I mean about 3 litres in 15 seconds. Normally the jeep has never leaked in rain. Is this normal or should I be worried ????

Cheers and thanks for ur advise in advance

Mani

Update: That challenger got traded in at Parra Jeep for a brand new JKU CRD Auto. Delivery scheduled in a week. Looking forward to recruit another club member :D. Where's my commission Chrysler ans SJC?????

Hunno
14-11-10, 07:30 PM
Dam just accepted OT shift Monday to cover someones sickie. BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER.