PDA

View Full Version : Yahwal - South Coast

Wolfe
04-11-10, 09:58 PM
Where -- Yahwal and surrounding Areas ,
When -- Sunday 7th of November 2010 ,
Meet -- For Sydney Convoy - Maccas -1264 - 1268 Princes Highway, Heathcote 6.00am for 6.15am Departure

For Southerners :) CNR PRINCES HWY & BROWNS RD, SOUTH NOWRA, NEW SOUTH WALES 8.15 for 8.30am departure depending on sydney traveling time (if southerners could advise)
Grade --,c-b depending on the weather
Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.
This run is limited to 15 vehicles including leader.............
Further info contact ---Stuart Gray 0414985823

Attending:

1. Wolfe
2. MickFodor
3. Dieselcon
4. Oldboy
6. SteveT
7. Pura Vida(maybe)
8. Sebastian
9. tonysrich
10. Hunty
11. 5teve
12. MOP44R
13. SteveC

Please note:- I do not know the area and will welcome any help regarding tracks

MickFodor
04-11-10, 10:14 PM
Please count me in.
See you there.

Dieselcon
04-11-10, 10:20 PM
Count me in aswell.....need to test new tyres.

Oldboy
04-11-10, 10:21 PM
Me too please.

stevet
04-11-10, 10:35 PM
Yes Wolfe, count me in as well....................

Sebastian
04-11-10, 10:36 PM
Me too please.

tonysrich
04-11-10, 10:58 PM
I still want to come along so please put me on the new list

5teve
04-11-10, 11:19 PM
i'm in
stefan

tonysrich
05-11-10, 12:13 AM

I have a Garmin GPS that comes with the Garmin mapping software “BaseCamp” . It works pretty much like Google Maps except that once you have mapped a route you can load it straight onto your GPS. The software includes full topographical maps of the whole country so if there is any kind of trail on the ground it will be on the map.

If you could give me an idea of the tracks or the areas that you want to cover I could have a go at mapping it onto my GPS so that we can use it on the day. Mind you I have not had this program for very long so I am not pretending to be any kind of an expert in using this software and I won’t give any guarantees but I should be able to put something reasonable together.

Sunday isn’t far off now so if you are interested and want me to try and put something together you will need to give me some idea of where you want to go as soon as you can. Just email me the names of the trails or areas that you are interested in.

Cheers, Tony

tonysrich@optus.net (tonysrich@optus.net)

TRBN8R
05-11-10, 12:23 AM
Sorry Mate

I cant attend Mrs reckons shopping for shoes is more important :) .

Mani

Oldboy
05-11-10, 12:47 AM
tonysrich,

There's a couple.
I think the other thread mentioned Mint Bush, but there's also Monkey Gum and others.
I've only done the Yarramunmun fire trail, and thats now locked.

Failing that (if they're closed) there is a track following the power lines that intersects with Deans Gap Road.

EDIT: you may want to install a Topo map or two into your Garmin.
There's a few such as Shonky (free) and Garmin updated their Topo Australia to V3 recently too.

Steve F
05-11-10, 12:59 AM
Yep, Mint Bush and Monkey gum were both mentioned. I'd say go down Mint Bush (from A to B) and then just look around, I think if you turn right at B you can then go left and across the river, looks like plenty of spots down there to explore.

Map that might help a bit (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Wombat+Plat+Rd,+Yerriyong+NSW+2540,+Australi a&daddr=Mintbush+Trl&hl=en&geocode=FaBM6v0dc333CCkXGEz-2XoUazFXcO1FPiCsLg%3BFfhL6v0dpzj3CA&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=-34.978322,150.437121&sspn=0.03119,0.066047&ie=UTF8&ll=-34.975791,150.435491&spn=0.031191,0.066047&t=h&z=15)

Cheers
Steve

Dieselcon
05-11-10, 06:02 AM
A mate said that monkey gum has quite a few tracks on it...
Looks like an adventure for sure this weekend. Yippee!!
Deans gap rd->mintbush->wombat ->monkey gum trail then back onto turpentine rd, that doesn't sound to hard;). I'll be taken a tent just in case!!! Lol

D.K.
05-11-10, 09:34 AM
Please take me off the list for this trip. Have fun.

SteveC
05-11-10, 09:37 AM
Count me IN, thanks

I've been down there but many years ago, so really can't contribute much. Its quite a picturesque place too.

I only did moderate tracks but in saying that - with the wet weather, it could be fun
Steve

MOP44R
05-11-10, 10:07 AM
Count me in too Wolfe

Hunty
05-11-10, 10:45 AM
Jax & I are still planning on Attending - if the weather is fine I will bring my new HD Camera
cheers Hunty

jk1978
05-11-10, 10:56 AM
I can't make it guys have fun
sandy

Pura Vida
05-11-10, 11:57 AM
Stuart,

I'm a maybe and will be coming from Jervis Bay, which according to Google maps is the same distance from Monkey Gum Fire Trail (1:30-1:45) and would try to meet you guys at the trail head 20 minutes before you arrive (so you won't need to wait on me). I see on google maps that the monkey gum fire trail intersects with blackwood road and wombat plat road. That may not be where you end up entering so just let me know when you figure it out. I'll also try to check the forum via my phone.

benw@izazi.com

Ben & Pura Vida (my jeep)

stevet
05-11-10, 05:27 PM
Anyone for a convoy from Sydney (Sutherland somewhere):confused:, Maccas' near Heathcote Road?? 6.30a.m.?? Too early?? No idea on how long the run down is......???...........:)...

Wolfe
05-11-10, 05:47 PM
Please read updated meeting info

stevet
05-11-10, 06:22 PM
Just a think about for our Southern members......................... Are the tracks planned for Sunday driveable......... or are we simply going to trash your local runs which may make 4wder life more difficult that way, to which the club would very much like to advoid if it were to cause you folk's hassles?? Personally feel the local folk should have the last say whether to go or can the run...:(............Stephen T.

SteveC
05-11-10, 06:28 PM
where -- yahwal and surrounding areas ,
when -- sunday 7th of november 2010 ,
meet -- for sydney convoy - maccas -1264 - 1268 princes highway, heathcote 6.00am for 6.15am departure

for southerners :) cnr princes hwy & browns rd, south nowra, new south wales 8.15 for 8.30am departure depending on sydney traveling time (if southerners could advise)
grade --,c-b depending on the weather
requirements -- recovery points front/rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.
Further info contact ---stuart gray 0414985823

attending:

1. Wolfe
2. Mickfodor
3. Dieselcon
4. Oldboy
6. Stevet
7. Chris covington (?)
8. Sebastian
9. Tonysrich
10. Hunty
11. 5teve
12. Mop44r
15. Pura vida(maybe)

please note:- i do not know the area and will welcome any help regarding tracks

you forgot me.....or are you telling me something.....

Dieselcon
05-11-10, 06:53 PM
you forgot me.....or are you telling me something.....

Didn't this happen last time aswell!!!!!
I'm sure it was a typo..lol

Cpage66
05-11-10, 07:03 PM
Nope...not me.

Wolfe
05-11-10, 07:12 PM
Sorry Steve, Fixed

Meet -- For Sydney Convoy - Maccas -1264 - 1268 Princes Highway, Heathcote 6.00am for 6.15am Departure

For Southerners :) CNR PRINCES HWY & BROWNS RD, SOUTH NOWRA, NEW SOUTH WALES 8.15 for 8.30am departure depending on sydney traveling time (if southerners could advise)
Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.

Attending:

1. Wolfe
2. MickFodor
3. Dieselcon
4. Oldboy
6. SteveT
7. Chris Covington (?)
8. Sebastian
9. tonysrich
10. Hunty
11. 5teve
12. MOP44R
13. SteveC
15. Pura Vida(maybe)

Wolfe
05-11-10, 07:14 PM

Attending:

1. Wolfe
2. MickFodor
3. Dieselcon
4. Oldboy
6. SteveT
7. Pura Vida(maybe)
8. Sebastian
9. tonysrich
10. Hunty
11. 5teve
12. MOP44R
13. SteveC

Nope...not me.

I had it in my mind you had contacts in area? Anyway Fixed

Cpage66
05-11-10, 07:56 PM
I do...but both heeps are off the road for now...will recce area before too long though

zjtoo
06-11-10, 09:26 AM
please put my name as well thanks ray

Wolfe
06-11-10, 03:40 PM
No worries ray

We urgently need some local area weather knowledge please, should we postpone trip or what?

Dieselcon
06-11-10, 04:40 PM
So far today it's been abit overcast but dry. Tomorrow should be similar. Dryish.... Should be ok for trip. Mate told be the creek might be up maybe 2 feet. I'm sure that's ok for most of us.

stevet
06-11-10, 05:00 PM
So far today it's been abit overcast but dry. Tomorrow should be similar. Dryish.... Should be ok for trip. Mate told be the creek might be up maybe 2 feet. I'm sure that's ok for most of us.
Thanks for the update on the weather....:)..... Just have had light rain on & off all day at Blacktown......Let the sun shine tomorrow......:)............:)......

Wolfe
06-11-10, 05:41 PM
Excellent, Steve what time can you pick me up?

SteveC
06-11-10, 05:57 PM
Forecast for Sunday
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog in the morning, mainly inland. The chance of showers until evening, mainly inland. Winds mainly northeasterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 9 with daytime temperatures reaching the low 20s.

You can go to http://www.bom.gov.au

I think we need to confirm by 8pm tonight though. I'm keen as any one but the weather is pretty well set in and as we will be exploring a new area for most of us , we'll probably spend more time out side the Jeep in the rain "looking " ahead in the distance.
It's the leaders call........

stevet
06-11-10, 06:34 PM
Forecast for Sunday
Partly cloudy. Areas of fog in the morning, mainly inland. The chance of showers until evening, mainly inland. Winds mainly northeasterly averaging 10 to 20 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to around 9 with daytime temperatures reaching the low 20s.

You can go to http://www.bom.gov.au (http://www.bom.gov.au)

I think we need to confirm by 8pm tonight though. I'm keen as any one but the weather is pretty well set in and as we will be exploring a new area for most of us , we'll probably spend more time out side the Jeep in the rain "looking " ahead in the distance.
It's the leaders call........
Still on at this stage unless weather forecasts alters for tomorrow.....:).......
Wolfe, looks around 6.00a.m or before..... need to send me your address again...???..:)................ Anyone travelling past your way through town ..... If not, see you in the morning.................Or hear from me when I get lost.....:)...................:)...........

MOP44R
06-11-10, 09:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Im out unfortunately Ive come down with the worst Flu from somewhere and need to shake it before Monday so will need to see you all next trip

Cheers

Ben

Hunty
06-11-10, 11:54 PM
I take it - that it is still on - Im keen to go dig in the mud LoL
I will be leaving Wahroonga early in the morning and look forward to seeing you all tomorrow
cheers Hunty

Wolfe
07-11-10, 02:25 AM
yes guys, still on. I've had trouble getting on line till now. We'll be driving to the conditions and being extra careful to tread lightly 8)

85cj7
07-11-10, 03:32 AM
This trip was difficult. Thanks a lot for the offer Steve. I'm sorry that I didn't send you a PM about the offer, that was vary nice of you to offer. I had a final today and then it went longer than I expected. That coupled with the celebratory post school celebration tonight and there is no way I could wake up early enough tomorrow to join the rest of the group. I really hope to join the club a few more times in the next month or so. Still looking for some wheeling trips of work to do before mid Dec. though. Let me know if you guys need any help. -Ryan

Dieselcon
07-11-10, 07:04 AM
So far so good..... Plenty of clouds but no rain yet....c you all soon.
Cheers jose

Dieselcon
07-11-10, 07:01 PM
What a day!!!! Fantastic and absolutely no rain...didn't even look liked it rain here in the last few days. Will post pics and video when I'm on the PC.
Thanks to all who came south to explore.
We lost Wolfe, stevet And Sebastian.....they kept on exploring when the rest of us turned to head home! :) some challenging spots but nothing that a jeep can't do.
Cheers jose

ick72
07-11-10, 08:55 PM
sorry i missed this trip still having issues with trying to get the xj level and not nose diving. but i need pics to live the dream of being there

Wolfe
07-11-10, 08:56 PM
Just got home as said fantastic day explored heaps ended up coming across creek and up wombat rd right at the point where the track went down and we turned left in the morning onto deans gap trail.
Many thanks to all , especially Steve t even though I had to put up with your singing ;)

Wolfe
07-11-10, 08:58 PM
http://tapa.tk/mu/3aacd1fa-6a01-7f0e.jpg
Seb crossing creek

Sebastian
07-11-10, 09:45 PM
What an awesome day it was today, the weather was great and the location was very nice. We have to go back there again. Thanks guys!!!

Dieselcon
07-11-10, 10:00 PM
Some photos from today. some insane tracks and I got a bonus.....more pin stripes!! ;)

Find Wally.... Oops WOLFE

Dieselcon
07-11-10, 10:06 PM
Few more!!

ick72
07-11-10, 10:11 PM
they are some good pics dieselcon seems i missed a better day then i thought , good i wish i could get this xj sorted..

Wooders
07-11-10, 10:30 PM
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=572&d=1289123779
Wolfe treading lightly??
Looks like a good trip. Definately beings back a few memories (spent a lot of time down the 10-15 years ago).

Dieselcon
07-11-10, 10:32 PM
Seb taking the harder line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiO5wkfJU6k

Stefan in mud bath

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag_y2CE1DQ

hunty doing it easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kokNIdUL1qU

Wolfe
07-11-10, 10:34 PM
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=572&d=1289123779
Wolfe treading lightly??
Looks like a good trip. Definately beings back a few memories (spent a lot of time down the 10-15 years ago).

I was hunting wabbitts

Steve F
07-11-10, 10:37 PM
Looks like a great trip :) Oh, and if you post up videos if you click the little film reel and put the link in there it will embed the video instead of showing a link :)

Cheers
Steve

stevet
08-11-10, 12:29 AM
Good day, definitely worth another run down there, even an over-night camp could be in order........After we seperated, we caught up to the Nissons at the little climb ( where Ray B. walked it up as everyone else did ), they were unable to do it at all........... Got to laugh!!............ The track we followed came with non-optional pin-striping and x1 weak man made barrier which we moved out off the way without any hassles at all in no time. Found some fun climbs/descents as well as coming to the stream/creek section before looping back to where we all started from................... Beautiful day with only about 1 minute's worth of rain, no dust & quite a few good laughs........... Wolfe, we may have to start a " Were's Wally", sorry "Were's Wolfe" monthly photo for the club mag....Sure that Badman could fill a spot or two......:o....:D..............

sbadman
08-11-10, 06:06 AM
Sure that Badman could fill a spot or two

I like that thinking :D

If any shutter bugs can please send photos, I need high res for the magazine. 640x480 just isn't big enough! And who's doing my trip report? :P

Wolfe
08-11-10, 08:27 AM
i'll probably do it scott unless someone else wants to. I'll get it to you asap.

Wolfe
08-11-10, 08:52 AM
I ended up with Mickfodor"s iphone charger, sorry. PM me with your details and I'il get it back to you asap

SteveC
08-11-10, 09:45 AM
Yeah .great day out with a variety of trails and something for every one. Weather was perfect for driving and the area was not too extreme but most enjoyable. I liked it.
It would be good to explore the area again next time but probably overnight as it's quite a drive there and back. Luckily the trip home was easy.

It was a great introduction to the the new guys with their JK's, with BIG smiles all round.

Looking forward to a few more photos and the next trip out

Ps I hope I can address those extra pin strips

MickFodor
08-11-10, 11:25 AM
Just wanted to say thanks guys for a top day.
I was fairly surprised with how well the stock tyres handled the tracks...

Wolfe: I'll shoot you a PM with my details for the charger, thanks mate... I also have a few pics and vids on my phone too which i will try to put up on the site.

Dieselcon: That is an awesome shot of the back of mine... i just set it as the background of my PC in the office. Thanks mate. (PS did you hit 10 L/100 yet :) )

Hunty
08-11-10, 11:57 AM
Jax & I had a good time - had a major trail repair - the diff breather fell off LoL - enjoy the vids - cheers Hunty
I put them up in HD - so if you want to enjoy full size (Iphone4) HD vids just click the size icon in the bottom right of the video viewer window

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7MCV71Mtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_G7lg3FCQE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz5E1loHE2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcXrA1IfL48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRFLt_oqEw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnuUYKlyjIg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2CYcvyPmF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZidE70doKqY

Oldboy
08-11-10, 02:34 PM
Spewing I had to pull out at the last minute.
Hope there's another run there soon.