PDA

View Full Version : ARB JK unlimited 2" nominal lift-----with electronic disconnects.

Dieselcon
20-11-10, 02:14 PM
Had my JKU lifted with ARB lift kit... Great improvement on the road. It's only 2" inch but more like 3". Tested new suspension today, all went well. Really nice on corrugated track but looks like need to restrict flex otherwise could rip swaybar or worse. (just ask craigB)
Took some photos of restricted flex and swaybar linkage.
Question for all is.... should the swaybar be horizontal on the flat. And if the lift is 3 inches should I extend the linkages by atleast 2"?http://tapa.tk/mu/3ce500d3-3c28-da6b.jpg
Didn't want to flex more as concerned with linkage doubling under...
http://tapa.tk/mu/3ce500d3-3c52-92cd.jpg

TRBN8R
20-11-10, 03:43 PM
Yup u need to extend the swatbar links or they will flip. Ask Craig B its not good. See a club member with a bigger lift if someone has rear swaybar links sitting in the garage. They will fit perfectly and save u some money.

Temporarily when off road just undo the bottom part of the links where they attach to the axle swing it up and zip tie the links to the sway bar.

Cheers

Mani

tonysrich
20-11-10, 06:53 PM
With all due respect Manni I would disagree strongly about using zip ties to secure the sway bar. One of the guys used them for that at Zig Zag a while ago. I think you might have been there too. I can’t remember his name off hand, he is a young guy with a ruby red JK diesel. The zip ties snapped at some point releasing the sway bar which promptly tore a big hole in the sidewall of his new front tyre. Can’t repair something like that, must have cost him at least $300.

But Jose definitely needs to extend his sway bar links. I posted this on another thread but I’ll repeat the main point. On a JK the sway bar should be parallel to the chassis when the car is on level ground although a 5 degree angle either up or down from that position is acceptable.

CraigB
20-11-10, 07:56 PM
Dont forget the rear swaybar linkages. They must be extended....support for what TonyR says - thats 100%.

TRBN8R
20-11-10, 08:16 PM
With all due respect Manni I would disagree strongly about using zip ties to secure the sway bar. One of the guys used them for that at Zig Zag a while ago. I think you might have been there too. I can’t remember his name off hand, he is a young guy with a ruby red JK diesel. The zip ties snapped at some point releasing the sway bar which promptly tore a big hole in the sidewall of his new front tyre. Can’t repair something like that, must have cost him at least $300.

I remember he was MATT85. But i used to do it for some time using thick ties and at least 2 each side. But yeah there is a possibility of a big hole in the side wall. He had the bighorns as well :( ......

Now I jinxed it Jose dont even try it :)

Dieselcon
22-11-10, 10:23 PM
No troubles......Jinxed.....no its OK,... I checked the position of Swayarm and link today by lifting jeep and letting suspension drop... I think the shocks stops it from dropping further... However I will change the links sooner than later.

Tony, yes interested in links,,, will meetup on Saturday..

Cheers All.. and many Thanks.

Jose

SteveC
23-11-10, 10:19 AM
If it's lifted 3" inches then you need 3" extra on your sway bars links,
I'm sure you can get really good custom made ones that can be ordered to any length you want from Ironrock Offroad. (i did for my WJ) They also supply clips that allow you to hold the sway bar properly with out any change of being dislodged.
Remember - you pay out good money for the lift, so it's always wise do so with the other components as well. It's worth it at the end