PDA

View Full Version : OME 2" Lift front sag

Ash74
23-11-10, 03:52 PM
G'day All

Am a newby, but met some of you guys at the 4X4 show some months back. I have a 08JK 4door with ARB front and rear bars with winch, and OME 2'" suspension.
I have recently noticed that the front has sagged substaintally, has anyone else had this issue and is it worth going back to ARB who installed.
Also having said this i want to put bigger tyres and have read some posts but would like some more help on picking these, should I keep the original rims (as I have recently destroyed one on the beach). I really like the black steel rims but believe they are smaller. Please excuse my ingnorance but just want to be guided for what is best for my truck and budget. and find exact dimensions that are best so I can start looking

The pictures do not show the true sag as one is very un even

Help would be much appreciated

MOP44R
23-11-10, 05:20 PM
Hi Mate,

Its certainly worth going back and having a chat with ARB, you may have been given the wrong springs as ARB have HD and SD springs and with the winch you would need HD could be that or if the suspension is only quite new could be a warranty issue or if its old it could be old...

In regards to tyres it really depends on the tyre width as too rim change if you are happy with a 33x10.5" tyre they will fit standard rims but if like me you want something bigger like 35X12.5" then you need a rim at least 8.5-9" wide and you can get steel rims that wide in 17" but you would need to look into back spacing which Im unsure if there are many steel rims with back spacing... Could be wrong though...

Cheers

Ben

Ash74
23-11-10, 06:10 PM
Ben
Cheers mate
They are only four months new, and when installed I did not have a winch but informed them that in the future I would purchase hense the bar that suits a winch. I'll get onto them tomorrow, have heard they can be painful to deal with when things go wrong.
Mate as far as the rims go (as anyone) I want the biggest with the least hassle and expspence.

MOP44R
24-11-10, 09:34 AM
I got all my gear from St Peters ARB and they were fantastic, even after putting the long range tank in so it spilled out every where when full took it back and they were great.

Ash74
24-11-10, 02:04 PM
I got all my gear from St Peters ARB and they were fantastic, even after putting the long range tank in so it spilled out every where when full took it back and they were great.

Ben
Just got off the phone with ARB (penrith) and they have advise that the wrong springs have been installed for a winch and bar, the one I have is for bar only (you were correct), that they must not have asked the right questions and he could not recall me having stated that a winch was to be installed at a later date. The correct springs are $242 and $120 to install, no discount nothing even though I have spent 5k there over the past few months.
Well I know where I won't be spending the other 5k of upgrades at.

TRBN8R
24-11-10, 02:39 PM
Mate another easier way could be 1 inch spacers up the front. Probably about $50 from www.wooders.com.au and u can do the install yourself.

Mani....

tonysrich
24-11-10, 11:40 PM
With respect to Manni's advice I wouldn't go with spacers. A body lift and a suspension lift are two very different things. Spacers will only give you a body lift. The spacers are placed between the body and the chassis to lift the body higher off the chassis but they do nothing to increase the actual suspension travel or off road performance.

Suspension lifts on the other hand use longer springs and shocks (and other stuff) to increase the distance between the axle and the chassis. This not only lifts the car higher off the ground but also gives you an increase in wheel and axle movement. This added movement increases off road performance by allowing the wheels to keep in contact with the ground over rougher terrain than the standard suspension could.

Spacers may help you stop your tyres from rubbing in the guards but that is about all they will do. They will not help you negotiate uneven terrain any better than before the body lift no matter how high they lift the body above the axles. Using them will give you the extra height that you need to level out the car visually but they will not compensate for the lost suspension travel that has been caused by the sagging springs.

Sagging springs are effectively shorter springs and being shorter they will reduce the amount of extra movement, the extra movement that you paid for in the first place.

Steve F
24-11-10, 11:44 PM
Mani is talking about coil spacers, they go on top of the coils. In saying that coil spacers mean longer bump stops to avoid damage to the coils on compression and although they give lift they reduce suspension travel as they limit compression and dont help with droop. They would be a cheap fix to the sagging though.

Cheers
Steve

Ash74
25-11-10, 09:19 AM
All
Thanks heaps for you advise and comments, I have the her booked in for early Dec and am planning to take the cost up with them face to face this weekend, Its been bugging me all night that they won't come to the party in any way.

MOP44R
25-11-10, 09:24 AM
All in all Penrith ARB are at fault with adding the wrong springs, I would call ARB 03 9721 9000 and ask for advice on what to do as its hardly your fault they didnt ask the right questions, they should be taking the SD springs back and swapping them out for the HD free of charge whether your buying more gear off them later or not.

But if you do have more gear you want, I would say call St Peters ARB they really are good.

Cheers

SteveC
25-11-10, 06:28 PM
Ring or email Dean Teirney [dteirney@arb.com.au], State Sales manager I believe

tonysrich
26-11-10, 08:18 AM
Mani is talking about coil spacers, they go on top of the coils. In saying that coil spacers mean longer bump stops to avoid damage to the coils on compression and although they give lift they reduce suspension travel as they limit compression and dont help with droop. They would be a cheap fix to the sagging though.

Cheers
Steve

Yes you are right, coils spacers are not exactly the same as body spacers but in this situation they may as well be. As you pointed out they do not increase suspension travel or improve the excess spring compression caused by the underrated and now sagging springs.

A 2 inch lift isn't a lot and I'd be wanting to get all the usable wheel travel that I could get from it. This guy paid for this lift only recently, he shouldn't have to pay more to inadequately solve the problem. ASH47 should stick to his guns and keep hassling ARB to replace the springs. He told them that he was going to install a winch so it is ARB’s error and their responsibility to resolve, not his.

reyzor
26-11-10, 09:09 AM
all springs will settle over time.... have you measured how much it has actually sagged? alot of people buying the arb lift are claiming to get close to 3 inches.. so if you started with this then it has sagged to 2 inches you have got what you were after... as for the sring rates between the hd and the sd springs, they probably should have given you the HD springs given that you told them you were getting the bar and winch....

Wooders
26-11-10, 09:46 AM
Coil Spacers have their place and when correctly fitted in relation of other correct parts (eg bump stops and shocks) they won't result in less wheel travel. But sadly many people abuse or misunderstand them and the end results are therefore substandard.
In this case I agree with firstly with Rey, you need to ensure that the springs have actually sagged not settled. If they have actually sagged then I'd agree with Tony, re under-rated / Sagging.
I will take my mum's advice about my personal dealing with that particular outlet and say........

TRBN8R
26-11-10, 05:45 PM
all springs will settle over time.... have you measured how much it has actually sagged?

Good point Rey, My paperwork says 40mm(1.5 inches) but actually initially it came up close to 80 and has settles close to 2 inches. So probably ARB can plead similiar case and get away with it. My suggestion for the spacers was in case ARB totally refuse to take any responsibility and if u dont wanna spend close to $350, just a cheap fix..... Not everyone has heaps of money. Thats why I bought second hand rocksliders, secondhand tyres and second hand disconnectors..........

Cheers
Mani

Ash74
29-11-10, 12:10 PM
Thanks to you all.
I spoke to ARB on SATURDAY and am awaiting a call from the manager as he was not around, I stated my case that I am going to end up paying $680 for one set of springs that realistically was ARB's fault. I am pretty confident as I am like a pitbull with a bone as I just don't have that sort of money to be wasting