PDA

View Full Version : Makes you think - crazy rollover

D.K.
24-11-10, 09:06 AM
Check this out, a good example of the deceptiveness of terrain angles and the dangers of side slopes

http://www.rubiconscat.com/Stoddard/HDR09/Rollmovie.html

Steve F
24-11-10, 10:10 AM
Video never does the angle of the climb justice, that one must be quite a bit steeper than it looks and it all started from the rear left dropping into a bit of a hole when reversing!!!

Cheers
Steve

JPLyn
24-11-10, 02:37 PM
gosh that is awful to watch and the dog too ... and i agree i think it was much steeper than it looked ... you can see the front end is really 'light' before the roll and i suspect the right wheel had already lifted ... so lucky they are all ok

driftdave
24-11-10, 09:50 PM
Question:
What did he do, that made it go so wrong?
How can I avoid doing this?

Cheers
Dave

Wooders
25-11-10, 09:47 AM
Don't think he really did anything "wrong", that's just a reminder that when we are talking side angles things can get ugly very quickly very easily.

Other than luck other things could be:
Remember to build your rig as low as possible for any tyre size,
Pack the vehicle with heavy items as low as possible & evenly distributed as possible.
Remember to keep the vehicle pointed up&down the slope as much as possible.

stevet
25-11-10, 11:58 AM
Don't think he really did anything "wrong", that's just a reminder that when we are talking side angles things can get ugly very quickly very easily.

Other than luck other things could be:
Remember to build your rig as low as possible for any tyre size,
Pack the vehicle with heavy items as low as possible & evenly distributed as possible.
Remember to keep the vehicle pointed up&down the slope as much as possible.

As Wooder's said above.
"Gravity" is usually the big winner every time plus that little bit of motion amplifies the effect..:(..:).. as I can recently recall myself doing about 3kph at the time but WAS stationary at the start of my adventure ( SJC Bugger award, initial recipent.:(.:).).... Had just finished a little chat to some new folk's about 4wding being a "motor sport" as soon as we go off road and that things can go pearl shaped real quick without any warning at all, at any time, even on the most fimiliar runs, "stuff can happen" to anyone..:eek:..:rolleyes:....:)...... Feels good to know you have the support of "good" club when sometimes the unfortunate side of 4wding occurs on a run.8)......:).............................Thank's again folk's...........:)........