PDA

View Full Version : Newby

Steven
05-01-11, 11:12 AM
G'day everybody!
Just registered here after checking out the forum.
I'm Steven, currently living in Europe but moving to oz on march 2nd. Only 8 weeks to go :) No need to say I'm lookin' forward!
But to be able to get around I need a car (obvious ;D) and seen the fact I've always been a 4x4 enthousiast I really want to have one again. My previous car was a Range Rover but I would like to have something more ... reliable :D So I'm looking for a mid 90's (Grand) Cherokee, one of my all time favourites! If you know/have one for sale, feel free to let me know :). My budget is around 7,000-8,000$, I hope that will buy me a niceone?

Cheers!
Steven

Rob&Tanya
05-01-11, 11:59 AM
Welcome and Congrats on your great choice of country!!! If you want to have a look at what's for sale and to get an idea of prices, check out
www.carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au)
Good luck with the move (I don't envy you the packing part though - not much fun :-P )
Cheers
Tanya

Wooders
05-01-11, 02:46 PM
Welcome (in advance ;))
My 2cents - look for an Cherokee over a Grand.
Where abouts are you headed?

Steven
05-01-11, 08:00 PM
Well, I'll be in Sydney. Where exactly I have no idea yet. I think I'll explore the country first to see where I'll settle.
About the carsales website, I think I checked out every Cherokee for sale in the Sydney region and there are a lot available within the budget. But are there any problems I chould be aware of when buying one? And is it safer to buy one from a dealer?

Cheers
Steven

Hunno
05-01-11, 10:16 PM
ebay.com.au

Rob&Tanya
06-01-11, 09:56 AM
Buying from a dealer you normally pay a higher price, you can sometimes get a "limited" warranty (not always worth the paper it's written on- make sure you read the fine print very carefully) and also be sure that no money is owing on the vehicle.
If you buy privately - you take the vehicle as is (which can sometimes be a better car for a lower price)- do your own REVS (Register of Encumbered Vehicles) search to make sure the title of the vehicle is clear.

I think there is also a site that you can check if the vehcile was a repairable write off??? (anyone???).

http://www.revs.nsw.gov.au/

As for any problems, I don't know enough about them so will leave that to the Cherokee owners :-) Hope that helps.
Cheers
Tanya

Steven
06-01-11, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tips!
Fortunately I was a mechanic at Land Rover so I know some things about 4x4 and the problems that can occure. But every make has its own 'issues' so to speak. So it's always good to know if there are some specific things to be aware of.
I'm also wondering, is it better to buy a petrol or a diesel version? I don't know the fuelprice but it can't be worse than in Europe.
Just saw a nice diesel one for sale here. Real shame it's still 8 more weeks...

Btw, I'm sorry for spelling errors. It's been a while since I've written in English.