PDA

View Full Version : Cape York Trip - Sept/Oct 2011

Pages : [1] 2

Dave
02-02-11, 11:06 PM
Following all the discussions and interest in a Cape York Trip last year, I would like to run a trip in September/October 2011 which includes the NSW School Holidays. I have handed out copies of a proposed itinerary with more details of times, dates, distances and destinations, and can send a PDF copy to anyone that PM’s me with their email address.

In brief, the plan is;

Cape York Trek - Cairns to The Tip, Weipa and return to Cairns or Undara 2,736 km
Day 1 – Sunday 25 September - Cairns to Lions Den Hotel Helenvale – includes Bloomfield Track or CREB Track - 210km
Day 2 – Monday 26 September - Lions Den Hotel to Cooktown - 53km – afternoon sightseeing around Cooktown
Day 3 – Tuesday 27 September - Cooktown via Elim Beach to Kalpowar Crossing - Lakefield NP - 242km
Day 4 – Wednesday 28 September - Kalpowar Crossing to Archer River Roadhouse - 283km
Day 5 – Thursday 29 September - Archer River to Dalhunty River Bush Camp – includes Old Telegraph Track - 195km
Day 6 – Friday 30 September - Dalhunty River to Jardine River Ferry – includes Old Telegraph Track - 114km
Day 7 – Saturday 1 October - Jardine River to Seisia - 63km – free afternoon in Seisia
Day 8 – Sunday 2 October - Seisia to The Tip and Local Sightseeing - 150km
Day 9 – Monday 3 October - Ferry to Thursday & Horn Islands - Sightseeing Tours
Day 10 – Tuesday 4 October - Lay Day at Seisia
Day 11 – Wednesday 5 October - Seisia to Bramwell Junction via Captain Billy’s Landing - 276km
Day 12 – Thursday 6 October - Bramwell Junction to Weipa - 177km
Day 13 – Friday 7 October - Lay Day at Weipa including Mine Tour
Day 14 – Saturday 8 October - Weipa to Archer River Roadhouse - 197km
Day 15 – Sunday 9 October - Archer River Roadhouse to Lakeland via Split Rock Aboriginal Cave Paintings - 375km
Day 16 – Monday 10 October - Lakeland to Cairns - 248km, or optional Lakeland to Undara - 401km
Day 17 OPTIONAL – Tuesday 11 October - Undara Volcanic National Park Tours

Most of the trip will be D Grade, with sections of C Grade – such as the Old Telegraph Track. I have not done the CREB Track, but depending on conditions, I would imagine it is C to B Grade.

This is the same route as the draft I handed round last year, but I have changed the time of year from July to Sept/Oct and slightly adjusted the days. This factors in the flooding in Queensland in Summer and Autumn, most years the roads are repaired by September. Also, the Cape was very busy in July 2010. When I asked park operators up there what time of year they would recommend, well this is it.

Getting to and from Cairns or Undara is up to you, but I plan to leave Sydney on Mon 19 Sept arriving in Cairns on Thurs 22 Sept, then get the KJ serviced and sightsee for two days before heading North. I aim to get back to Sydney on Sat 15 Oct, making the whole trip 28 days.

Please PM me, or post on this thread if you are interested.

Please consider.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
02-02-11, 11:15 PM
Coming to the Cape in 2 weeks we have:

Eddy G and James M
Hunty and Jax
Steve F and family
Hunno
John C
Miraz and Beth
Glen D
Dave (me)

And a friend of mine from work Renato and his brother John from Cairns to Seisia, and swapping with his wife Maggie to return South, in a Disco 4!

So that’s now 9 vehicles and 15 people! We have had a couple of number juggles...

It's going to be an awesome trip! 9 vehicles is a great number, not too many in a convoy, and we will have a good number of people around the campsites to have a great time!

Thanks,
Dave

gp
04-02-11, 08:46 AM
Dave

I would like to take my TJ on the trip to the cape

Regards John Clark

Dave
04-02-11, 01:08 PM
Thanks John that's good news! I have added you to the list. I know you have a copy of the itinerary, which has all my contacts on it. Please get in touch if you have any questions, otherwise we'll talk next meeting.

Dave

Michelle
07-02-11, 01:41 PM
Hi Dave
Now that we have canned our trip to Egypt, there is a very good chance we'll be able to come along on this trip. Please add us to the maybe list. Michelle and Adam

Dave
07-02-11, 02:04 PM
Hi Dave
Now that we have canned our trip to Egypt, there is a very good chance we'll be able to come along on this trip. Please add us to the maybe list. Michelle and Adam

Great (Not that you cancelled Egypt), I'm really glad that you are considering it. I'm sure you will enjoy the trip, we will see some sand, it will be hot, and we can do impressions of the Sphinx round the campfire some time! Hope you had a FAB day on Saturday!

Added to Maybe list!

Dave

Dave
15-02-11, 04:46 PM
An update from Cairns DERM (Qld version of National Parks)

Thank you for your email. I can confirm that a group of 10 vehicles / 20 people would need a Group Activity Permit.

The Creb Track is now managed by Cairns Regional Council and track openings / closures are posted on their website (http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/about-the-council/media-and-public-notices/public-notices/notices). A permit to traverse the Creb is not required; however, if you intend to turn off the Creb Track at China Camp to go into Roaring Meg Falls (Kija) then you are entering the protected area and each vehicle must have a permit to traverse that section of track.

Department of Environment & Resource Management
PO Box 2066, Cairns Q 4870
Ph: (07) 4222 5242
Fax: (07) 4222 5060

So, when we do finalise numbers, I will organise for those that want to do CREB...
Dave

Steve F
15-02-11, 04:55 PM
The Group Activity Permit sounds a bit much, reading the doco on it it's only required if it will impact on the enjoyment of the area by the general public etc, sounds like we are being classified as a motorsport event!!!

Have a look at the definition in the document below. I think we want to stay as far away from this as possible and it seems like we shouldn't need one anyway!!

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/register/p01237aa.pdf

Cheers
Steve

Dave
15-02-11, 05:13 PM
I agree Steve. I originally asked about permits to access areas eg CREB and Elim... but they seem to have an issue with our having 10 vehicles (ie the scale of our group), not what I asked them about originally.

I replied and told them that I am NOT representing the club as an entity, am not an authorised signatory, have not designed a "project", and am not planning an "event" or other activity as per their notes... In other words I was not going to even try and complete all parts of the form. The bottom line is we are going to take part in public access of Cape York, not attempt to restrict it!

Now I have heard back again, saying that we do not need a Group Activity Permit. Think I might bring copies of the email trail when we go, just in case anyone asks!

Dave

Dave
03-03-11, 09:36 PM
Just keepin' it up there. Handed out a couple more itineraries at the club meeting yesterday, and discussed "usefull stuff" for the trip with a few people - we were at ARB after all.

Any questions or just want to discuss ideas, drop me a line!

Dave

Steve F
12-03-11, 09:24 PM
Got familiar with a set of tyre pliers and levers today, took a tyre off and put two on (my camper). Since I cant take a second spare I'll be taking these along just in case :) Only 6 months (ish) to go :)

Cheers
Steve

Rob&Tanya
13-03-11, 09:51 AM
Picked up and fitted the the external roof frame thing so we can now get the roof top tent, drawers fitted in the back to store all those bits you just have to have, and booked in for the lift - we're getting there. YAY!!!
T&R

Dave
13-03-11, 12:14 PM
That sounds about right Steve, six months one week until I head North, and three months until I try and finalise numbers so I can finalise bookings too! Glad to hear you have tyre pliers, and I think Hunty has too. You never know when they might come handy, and I totally understand why "bigfoot" vehicles can't carry more than one spare (hopefully we won't need any, we only had one damaged tyre last year, and one flat - me!).

I'm enjoying the excitement build up. I'd love to be on the road today, except that most of Nth Qld is underwater. It has been a big "wet" and it isn't over yet. I have a mate down here at the moment from 'central' Qld. His 4wd club is planning a Cape Trip in August, and they are glad they aren't trying to go earlier than that!

Dave

glend
13-03-11, 05:16 PM
Yeah the big wet continues. It has been raining most of this week up here is Dysart with some really torrential downpours the last couple of days. Most of what we are getting came down the coast from the Cape, and that low off Mackay. Even here there is lots of erosion in the creek and river banks. I saw a ute in a tree coming up from Maryborough (the floods put it there). I'm going to Mackay on Monday and then on up to Airlie Beach but it looks like a really wet trip.

Dave
13-03-11, 06:12 PM
Well I hope that you are still having a good trip Glen, and I hope you have your trailer rather than tent. Does not sound like fun camping weather. Was talking to a guy in Anaconda this arvo. He is heading for the Cape with a group in August, and they are already stressing about the weather. I suggested that he wait and see how things improve AFTER the wet season ends in a month or even two... Yes, I was there looking at more camping supplies :)...

Dave

glend
13-03-11, 06:21 PM
Yeah Dave, I have the camper trailer with me and its nice and dry, but I've been sleeping at James' house for the past couple of weeks.

Cape Trip people might want to bookmark this site for the latest Qld road information (it's more concise than wading through the RACQ site):

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/

Here is the latest page and it shows what is going on up this way:

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/generalroadreport/11032011/20110311%20State-wide%20Roads%20Update%201pm.pdf

Dave
14-03-11, 03:10 PM
Yeah Dave, I have the camper trailer with me and its nice and dry, but I've been sleeping at James' house for the past couple of weeks.

Cape Trip people might want to bookmark this site for the latest Qld road information (it's more concise than wading through the RACQ site):

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/

Here is the latest page and it shows what is going on up this way:

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/generalroadreport/11032011/20110311%20State-wide%20Roads%20Update%201pm.pdf

Nice one, thanks Glen! As expected most Cape roads closed at the moment. Did you notice that access roads to Birdsville and Innaminka are also closed? Must be the wettest summer on record all over!
Dave

Steve F
21-03-11, 01:16 PM
The roads are starting to look better

http://highload.131940.qld.gov.au/generalroadreport/21032011/20110321%20State-wide%20Roads%20Update%201pm.pdf

Cheers
Steve

Dave
21-03-11, 03:08 PM
Post removed by Dave

Pura Vida
02-04-11, 09:43 AM
You can put me on the maybes list.

Ben

Dave
03-04-11, 11:22 PM
Done Ben, on the Maybe list on page 1.

I won't be at the meet at Wooders this week, can't remember if you have a copy of the itinerary or not. If you would like a PDF copy, just PM me your email address...

Dave

Sunexim
05-04-11, 09:09 PM
Cape york is the very good place to hang on.Some of my friends which gone there said that some times you feel that you are in sahara kind of desert. Very difficult. It will keep intersecting in months September or so.It will be a remarkable trip.

Dave
06-04-11, 04:25 PM
Sorry Sunexim, not sure whether you were expressing an interest in coming along or not??? Cape York is a great place to go, but definately not like the Sahara. The only sand driving planned is on beaches, and the area is not desert - especially after all the rain they have had this Summer. More Tropical Savanna and Woodland, with a bit of Tropical Rainforest as we head North out of Cairns through the Daintree. Yes, I am a Geography teacher. Sad ain't it?

Dave

Dave
22-04-11, 12:22 PM
Just keeping it up there, and with 5 months until we head off, I've been having a surf of Cape York websites and chats...

Another good Road Conditions site is http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/cook/roads

Obviously as the wet is still going, a lot of roads are still closed. The most 'striking' one I saw on the above site was "CAPE TRIBULATION to WUJAL WUJAL - CLOSED. The Bloomfield causeway has been washed away making a crossing impossible. This is not expected to be repaired for some months."

Hopefully "some months" will be before we get there, as this is on the route on the first day North from Cairns - either by Bloomfield Track or CREB.

If you Google - Cape York Trips 2011 - you will see LOTS of planned trips from May right through August, so I hope that the plan for September / October will mean that it's quieter, and as I said before, hopefully all tracks will be repaired / open.

Don't forget the Rosehill Supershow starts next weekend if you are looking for "stuff". Please drop me a line if you wish to discuss any equipment or other trip requirements.

Happy Easter :),
Dave

SteveC
24-04-11, 09:07 PM
When would be latest date to give expression of interest for this trip

Dave
25-04-11, 07:17 PM
Hi Steve,

Back on page 1 of this thread I said that I would like to try and finalise numbers after the July club meeting. At that meeting I will hopefully get firm numbers of people, car rego's etc. This will give me plenty of time to make the few bookings needed before we set off in September - some campgrounds and tours that will require numbers of sites / heads etc. There are 12 vehicles that have expressed firm or possible interest so far - no idea how many people that this will be, but I do expect numbers to 'fluctuate' a little right up to departure... This is a pretty normal thing.

So, if you can let me know for sure by the July meeting, that would be great. Shall I put you on the Maybe list?

Thanks,
Dave

Steve F
01-05-11, 11:08 PM
Tested the roof top tent over easter :) Cant wait. I've been keeping an eye on trips etc as well, also noticed fuel (unleaded) is up around $1.76 up there at the moment as well.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
02-05-11, 09:43 AM
Yes Steve, fuel is NOT a nice thought at the moment. I was talking to Eddy last week and we looked up diesel prices in Seisia, $2.10 per litre. I was expecting that way up there, but I was hoping that it would not go over $1.50 between Sydney and Cairns. Pray for peace in the Middle East (not just for settling fuel prices, don't want to sound too shallow).

On another note, Glen D and I were talking to people from Seisia, the Daintree and North Qld info in general yesterday at the camping show. They thought that our timing of Sept/Oct was wise. A lot of areas are currently closed due to the very wet season, and many tracks may not re-open until late July or August, but they thought that we should be okay!

If we have time we can have a discussion on Wednesday after the meeting of things that we have found out. No significant changes to itinerary, just possible 'tweaks'. No date changes!

Dave

glend
05-05-11, 09:30 AM
Just a note on travel times to and from north Qld. My son drove to Townsville on the weekend (from Dysart) going up the Bruce Highway from Mackay and returning down the inland Gregory Development road via Charter Towers. He reports that the inland route was significantly faster (3-4 hrs) not only being shorter but also due to much less traffic and not having to go through towns etc, but of course it does have road train traffic.

However, if you haven't been up that way before the coast route does offer some scenic advantages.

Glen

kiwi kev
05-05-11, 11:31 AM
Dave, add me as a very good possibility, thanks,Kevin

Dave
05-05-11, 12:54 PM
Dave, add me as a very good possibility, thanks,Kevin
Thanks Kev, I have added you to the maybe list, which brings us up to maybe 13 vehicles, or 14 if SteveC lets me know (after I was so rude at the meeting last night by not remembering which Steve he was, very embarrassed).
Do you have a copy of the itinerary? I can email one to you if you PM me with your email address.

Thanks Glen for the travel suggestions, I know that Eddy G wants to get together with a few of us sometime soon and work out the trip up, especially if a few of us want to 'convoy' from Sydney - organise motels / camps etc.

Everything is looking good!

Dave

glend
05-05-11, 05:31 PM
The subject of transport of vehicles to Cairns came up briefly at last night's club meeting. I decided to see just how expensive it would be, so I looked at the Sunlander Motorail option first:

The Sunlander runs between Brisbane and Cairns and so you would have to drive to Brissy and put the vehicle on the train there. The cost seems very reasonable, assuming your travelling on the train it is $187 and if your not on the train its $280. Work out your fuel cost to make the Brissy to Cairns leg of the trip and maybe the train is cheaper.

Here are the details on the Sunlander vehicle transport:

http://www.holidaysallover.com/trains/queensland_services/sunlander/motorail.html

Make sure you read the terms and conditions carefully as they have vehicle height restrictions (2100mm) which pretty much rules out any Jeep with a roof rack and a lift.

The other options are road transport, so here is a quote from an online auto transport booking company (Sydney to Cairns):

Significantly more expensive

Door to Door

Company A $1,694.95 http://www.automove.com.au/images/blank.gif Company B $2,285.02 http://www.automove.com.au/images/blank.gif

Depot to Depot

Company A $1,292.85 http://www.automove.com.au/images/blank.gif http://www.automove.com.au/images/blank.gif Company B $1,539.73 http://www.automove.com.au/images/blank.gif Company C $2,097.13

It does look pretty rediculous. http://www.automove.com.au/images/blank.gif

Steve F
05-05-11, 06:10 PM
My XJ would fit (just) without the rooftop tent, but then when I added the cost of passengers for the cheap sits (which wont cut it with my passenger, she'll want a sleeper) then its not worth it. Shame as its a good option and something different.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
05-05-11, 06:26 PM
Yes I've just been looking at it as well. But I want to go Queenslander Class $750 maybe not.
Brisbane to Cairns a little over 1700km thats around 3 tanks of fuel at lets say on the cheap side at the moment $130 per tank. $390

for a single person & willing to do it on the cheap(seating up overnight) it's still $206.80(pp) + $187(car) = $393.80

Not a great saving. Then they have you at their mercy on food & drink prices.
However thats one less night accomidation cost.
It's much of a muchness.
O' thats right unless you work for say the railways some where in Australia where you can get large discounts on you & your families travel.

All things considered I think I'll be driving.

Having said all that it would be great fun with a group on board.

Heidi
12-05-11, 05:47 PM
With the road transport you will probably find that the cars need to be empty as well so you would need to freight all your camping gear seperate. Plus you need to all for delivery and pick up so thats a day either side so you do not really save all that much in time either

Dave
13-05-11, 09:01 PM
Last year when we were thinking about this, I found the following from Queensland Rail;

You cannot send your car from Sydney to Brisbane by train, but you can send it from Brisbane to Cairns - but there are conditions;

"Queensland Rail cannot convey vehicles unless owner compliance is observed with ALL the following conditions:

Vehicles must not be lower than 150mm above ground level loaded this includes any side skirts or front and rear spoilers.
Vehicles must not exceed 2100mm in height, 2100mm in width, or 5270 mm in length, this is to include the outer most extremity of permissible dimensions.
The wheels of vehicles fitted with large tyres or dual rear wheels must not exceed 480mm, with 940mm between each slot.
The Motorail wagon has a raised centre section in the floor and vehicles must not be overloaded as this could result in damage to fuel tank, exhaust or independent suspension.
Petrol or other flammable liquids or commodities (excluding vehicle fuel tank) must not be conveyed in or on the vehicle and must be removed.
External fitted louvres and screens should be removed, aerials lowered, large side mirrors folded in, and all personal items conveyed on roof racks or tray backs properly secured by the vehicle owner. Such accessories and effects are the responsibility of the owner and are conveyed at owners risk.
Passengers are not permitted access to their vehicles whilst in transit.
Vehicle owners must ensure their private vehicle insurance covers transit by rail.
QR reserves the right to charge prescribed freight rates for personal effects or items conveyed in the vehicle.
Unaccompanied vehicles must be met & received on arrival by owner or representative"
Also, you would need to go on to their website and give details to get a quote; http://www.queenslandrail.com.au (http://www.queenslandrail.com.au/)

There are several trucking companies that will take your car from anywhere to anywhere, eg; http://www.auto-logistics.com.au (http://www.auto-logistics.com.au/)

But again you need to give them your details to get a quote.

Don't know whether that helps at all or not!

Dave

kiwi kev
13-05-11, 09:17 PM
thanks, I have the itinerary

Hunno
13-05-11, 09:34 PM
I've only got an 8 hr shift on Wednesday so I'm going to their office to talk about directly.

Dave
23-05-11, 02:02 PM
Keeping it up there, and Glen D and I were having a chat about routes and stops during the trip, and we thought that I might throw in a few options. We know that some people may choose to tackle the CREB Track - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap4x5OiP9pY - while the rest of us do Bloomfield (both still closed).

Glen sent me a link from a Camper Trailer group forum that are running a Cape Trip in July, and plan to camp for a few nights at Eliot / Twin falls on the Old Telegraph Track (swimming & fishing). We could consider this instead of camping at the Jardine Ferry. However I believe the campground at Eliot is very popular and we may not all fit, so we could consider splitting the group again (if it isn't already full).

Similarly, if some people with larger Jeeps want to try the crossing at the Jardine River ford instead of via the ferry, they could continue up the OTT and meet us in Seisia next day.

Re the ford, the NRMA advises;
You are strongly advised against trying to ford the Jardine at the old crossing. This enormous, swiftly flowing river is 200m wide with an average depth at the peak of the dry season of around a metre. It is a dangerous crossing whose characteristics change from season to season and there are plenty of crocodiles around. If you get bogged halfway, as many have done in the past, you might find the prospect of jumping in the river and winching your vehicle out of trouble somewhat daunting. Some will tell you that you are no longer allowed to ford the river at the old crossing, but at the time of writing this was not the case. You can certainly take a chance with the Jardine crossing but it is at your own risk - you have been warned.

On this youtube clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY0p0rYMCAQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NY0p0rYMCAQ) - at about 4 minutes 30 secs, this guy has no problem, although does discuss the potential...
Tojos also have no problems, but this guy points out the crocs; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5AKWghp1Us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5AKWghp1Us)
Which makes these guys look like risk takers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaOFtgqaoVQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaOFtgqaoVQ)

I think I will leave these options open for discussion - even when we get there and know the conditions on the ground.

Another conversation was re vehicle maintenance. I put in the itinerary that ALL vehicles need to have a comprehensive service, which should probably include cooling systems as it will be hot up there - something we may not think about in Sydney in Winter. Please do check the suggestions at the end of the itinerary and drop me a line if you have any questions.

It's getting closer, 4 months till we leave Cairns!

Dave

Steve F
23-05-11, 02:31 PM
With my wife and 2 1/2 year old daughter in the Jeep I will be going across the Jardine on the Ferry, as much as an adventure it would be fording the river I'm not prepared to take the chance.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
23-05-11, 02:55 PM
Me too Steve! We will be crossing plenty of hopefully not crocodile infested creeks, and if you are looking at CREB you ford the Daintree River as well - see the first video link. In my short KJ, the ferries are attractive options. Glen did pose one funny 'image' - Hunty fording the Jardine with only door bars in place, beating off the crocs with a bat! Do we have a cartoonist in the house?

Dave

glend
24-05-11, 01:02 PM
For people running Oziexplorer (or other Nav software that will accept waypoint .txt files) I have created a Cape Trip waypoint and route file using Dave's Itinerary and the HEMA Cape York and 'The Tip' maps. The waypoints and route cover the Cairns to the Tip and return to Undara route, although it would be easy to do another one for the people doing Cairns to Cairns. The waypoint file has 34 key junctions, turns, campgrounds, destinations, etc. This is version 1 and after more itinerary discussions in the weeks and months to come I will put out another one before the trip for those interested.

I'll bring these files to the next meeting if anyone wants to copy them, or alternatively PM me your email address and I will send them to you.

Also if anyone is interested in the Inland Route (Sydney to Cairns & return) waypoints I will be bulding one of those soon.

Cheers
Glen

Steve F
24-05-11, 01:31 PM
Hi Glen,

I've sent you a PM with my email address, send me whatever you do :)

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
24-05-11, 03:16 PM
Hi Glen
Thats Brilliant - email me too PLS
pm with email sent
cheers Hunty

Dave
24-05-11, 05:31 PM
Things are starting to move faster...

I have made a booking at the Lion's Den Hotel - our first night North of Cairns on Sunday 25 Sept - for 20 people / 12 vehicles. Glen spotted that the 25th is the last night of the Wallaby Creek Music Festival, so it might be jumping! They asked me to reconfirm numbers closer to time, for catering and bar supplies, so I will need final numbers ASAP after the July Club meeting.

Sooo looking forward to heading North, it sounded like they were having a great time up there even over the phone! Thanks for the spot Glen!

If you want more video clips of the Old Telegraph Track, check out http://www.youtube.com/user/DanPurds and guess what - he drives a Jeep!

Dave

glend
24-05-11, 06:09 PM
Steve and Hunty, files have been sent.

No worries Dave. For those that would like to check out the line up for the Wallaby Creek Music Festival here is a link to the web stuff:

http://www.wallabycreekfestival.org.au/index2.html

Hunno
24-05-11, 06:44 PM
Steve and Hunty, files have been sent.

No worries Dave. For those that would like to check out the line up for the Wallaby Creek Music Festival here is a link to the web stuff:

http://www.wallabycreekfestival.org.au/index2.html

Already been on there to have a look, love music festivals.

Missed the first round of emails. I'll send you a PM with my Email.

kiwi kev
25-05-11, 11:02 AM
Im now looking good for this trip, count me in, thanks,Kevin

Dave
25-05-11, 04:48 PM

That's great Kev, I have moved you to the "definately" list!

Dave

Dieselcon
25-05-11, 05:54 PM

Watch out for that tree... lol

kiwi kev
26-05-11, 03:16 PM
I now have rear locker, and getting new tyres after wrecking my last set of wheels down at Vic High country trip , gone from 16's to 17's MTZ 285's , hopefully this will reduce my damage bill , thats what I told my dear wife !!!

glend
29-05-11, 04:38 PM
Any one needing storage boxes for the Cape Trip, BCF has Plano Storage Boxes on sale for $99 and they come with a 'lifetime' warranty against breakage.

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Plano-Storage-Case-Plastic.aspx?pid=283413&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc#Description

Yeah they are more expensive than the el cheapo ones from Bunnings, but these have tie down points, and are lockable, and won't break - so they say; and a much better bargain than the Spacecase boxes. There are no water proof seals on the Plano box but it does have an overlapping lid and drain holes if water does get in. Could be used on the roof I suppose (if you didn't have a tent up there), or inside the vehicle. Dimensions are: 96cm x 46cm x 36 cm with 103.7 litres capacity.

No, I don't work there.

I bought one to try out.

Steve F
29-05-11, 11:07 PM
I'm stocking up on bits and pieces as well, check the club members section for a potential group buy on battery low voltage cutoff (to avoid flat batterys and save expensive second batteries) I'm getting one for the XJ's second battery with the cape trip in mind, lots of consecutive days with multiple accessories.

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
30-05-11, 12:24 AM
Any one needing storage boxes for the Cape Trip, BCF has Plano Storage Boxes on sale for $99 and they come with a 'lifetime' warranty against breakage.

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Plano-Storage-Case-Plastic.aspx?pid=283413&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc#Description

Yeah they are more expensive than the el cheapo ones from Bunnings, but these have tie down points, and are lockable, and won't break - so they say; and a much better bargain than the Spacecase boxes. There are no water proof seals on the Plano box but it does have an overlapping lid and drain holes if water does get in. Could be used on the roof I suppose (if you didn't have a tent up there), or inside the vehicle. Dimensions are: 96cm x 46cm x 36 cm with 103.7 litres capacity.

No, I don't work there.

I bought one to try out.

Very impressive Glen - thanx for sharing the great find - I will get a couple of them - hopefully b4 we go
cheers Hunty

Dave
30-05-11, 10:34 PM
Speaking of BCF, something else I have been thinking about - and have now ordered - is a filter funnel;

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/products/Mr-Funnel-Fuel-Filter-Funnel-19-LPM.aspx?pid=167201#Description

With all the water that has been flowing around QLD, I thought a filter that removes water and other contaminants from fuel could be a very good idea. I'll be running diesel thru mine, if anyone gets one for petrol, well we can share them round.

Glen and I have been discussing spares / parts to take. Everyone has seen my list on the itinerary, below is a very comprehensive one from Glen;

Vehicle Spares List –to take:

Air Filters x2
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Engine Oil (enough for a complete change + spare oil for top up)
Transmission Fluid ATF+4
Diff Oil
Engine Serpentine Belt
10 litre Jerrys * 2)
Bulbs (2 headlight H4s)
Bulbs Rear (Signal and Stop)
Fuses (selection)
Duct Tape
Galvanised Wire
Spare Tyre (2nd mounted)
Oil Change Container
Coolant – Mopar 5 year 100,000mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology)
Brake Fluid – Mopar Brake Fluid DOT 3, STDS SAE J1703, DOT 4 or DOT 4+ is acceptable.
Diesel Power
Funnel and tubing
Hose for transmission cooler, etc
Hose clamps
Epoxy putty stick
Radiator Stop Leak
Cable Ties
Torx sockets – add to regular tool kit.
Scanner
Radiator hoses
As far as pre-trip servicing, in addition to the normal service stuff, I'll probably do some extra things this time, like flushing the radiator and putting in new coolant (its going to be warm up there). I may replace my KJ start battery as well.

Given that the distances to service facilities are not as large as last year, I think I will be leaving out a second mounted spare, and probably even going without a spare tyre carcase. It was suggested to me to take a good set of large tyre patches (like the SLIME kit ones, that can cover an area the size of your hand) and get a tyre innertube of the right size - these would allow the repair of most tyre damage that a plug would not fix (like a side wall stake). Still considering that.

We should discuss any and all ideas, questions etc over the next couple of months, less than 4 months till the off, and hopefully one month before I get final numbers and make the rest of the bookings. To be continued on Wednesday!

Dave.

Steve F
30-05-11, 10:39 PM
I think I mentioned this before but there are some things we could share, as an example I will be bringing some tyre pliers and probably the maxtrax as well, no need to double up on the tyre pliers.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
30-05-11, 10:44 PM
Agreed Steve! I think Hunty also has tyre pliers, and Eddy has Maxtrax. The basic list on the itinerary I took from previous Tag-Alongs I have been on, Glen has put a lot of thought into his preparations... many of the parts are different from one type of Jeep to another. But between us all we should be able to cope with many 'problems'. Last year (and on other trips) Eddy's mechanical skills have also been VERY appreciated...

Dave

Dave
05-06-11, 08:31 PM
Another IMPORTANT and potentially EXPENSIVE supplies note that I have been advised to post;

Alcohol restrictions for travellers

If you're planning on travelling through far north Queensland and Cape York, you need to know about alcohol restrictions. Alcohol restrictions are in place in remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities across Queensland. These restrictions either ban or limit the amount and type of alcohol you can take into a community.

Fines and penalties

You are breaking the law if you try to go into a restricted area with an amount of alcohol that's above the set limit. If you do, you risk having to pay a fine or going to jail. The maximum penalties for breaching the alcohol limit are:
firstoffence - 500 penalty units ($37,500)
secondoffence - 700 penalty units ($52,500) and/or 6 months prison
third orlater offence - 1000 penalty units ($75,000) and/or 18 months prison

Northern Peninsula Area (NPA) alcohol limits

The restricted area covers the communities that make up the Northern Peninsula Area Regional Council (Bamaga, Injinoo, New Mapoon, Seisia and Umagico). It includes all public and private places within these communities.

The maximum amount of alcohol a person can have in the NPA is:
2 litres of wine (unfortified) and 11.25 litres (1 x 30 can carton) of any strength beer
Or
2 litres of wine (unfortified) and 9 litres (1 x 24 can carton) of premixed spirits of up to 5.5% alcohol/volume.

This amount is per person on foot, or per vehicle, boat or aircraft regardless ofthe number of people in it.

However,the Loyalty Beach Camping Ground, New Mapoon and the Seisia Camping Ground are designated wet areas. Registered guests of these camping grounds are permitted to drink alcohol.

Hope Vale
The maximum amount of alcohol that a person can have in Hope Vale is:
11.25 litres (1 x 30 can carton) of light or mid-strength beer or
750 ml (1bottle) of unfortified wine
Cask wine, fortified wine, full-strength beer and pre-mixed spirits are not allowed in Hope Vale. This amount is per person on foot or per vehicle, boat or aircraft regardless of the number of people in it.

'Bonafide' traveller exemption

A 'bonafide' traveller is someone who can prove they're passing through a community on their way to another destination. You'll be allowed to drive on some roads and use some public facilities while carrying alcohol over the set limit if you canprove you're a 'bona fide' traveller. But you must have got the alcohol at a place outside the restricted area.

As a 'bona fide' traveller, your vehicle may only stop:
to use a 'prescribed public facility' (currently only the Doomadgee Road-House and the Bloomfield Falls car park are 'prescribed public facilities')
if ordered by police
in an emergency
It's a good idea to carry some proof of your destination, such as a camping permit or accommodation booking receipt.

Rules that apply to all vehicles
Whether or not you're a bona fide traveller, you must make sure that alcohol is:
not removed from the vehicle
not visible from outside the vehicle
locked in the vehicle if unattended

Roads are part of the restricted area and you will only be able to carry alcohol on these roads if you can claim the bona fide traveller exemption.

Roads that are currently restricted areas are:
Bloomfield Track, Douglas Street and Rossville-Bloomfield Road (within Wujal Wujal)
the road, within the community area of the Wujal Wujal Shire Council, directly connecting the road known as Douglas Street and the Bloomfield Falls (excluding the service road)

Police powers
Police can stop and search any vehicle coming into a Restricted Area. Police can take all alcohol where alcohol restrictions are being breached. They can also seize a vehicle (including a car, a boat or a plane) used to bring alcohol into a Restricted Area or dry place. Police can take a vehicle if they believe it is necessary to stop the vehicle being used again to break alcohol laws.

The new laws allow police to:
search a person without a warrant if they suspect they are carrying illicit alcohol
enter and search a house without a warrant if they suspect there is illicit alcohol in that house
stop and search a vehicle or an animal, and a vehicle pulled by an animal, under the control of a person attempting to entera Restricted Area with illicit alcohol

glend
05-06-11, 09:26 PM
So Dave, in reading all of that I get the view that carrying any sort of spirits such as : whiskey, vodka, etc are totally out of the question, even pre-mixed version of the same because of content. Also it would appear that any sort of Port is out of the question as it would be considered 'fortified' would it not? So it's wine or beer in the designated quantities. It might be better to just forgo the libations until we get to a wet area, assuming they have a bar. Then again a cold beer would be nice in the evening around the campfire.

A quick look at Google confirms there are indeed Clubs and Restaurants in the top end that are licensed

Dave
06-06-11, 09:36 AM
Yes Glen. I got the fear of walking home put into me by a friend that goes up regularly. I usually only carry a dozen light beers in the bottom of the esky, but it will be very important that everyone, especially those of us that are thirstier, do not go over the limits. Will have to really drum this in at Cairns, as we go up Bloomfield Track through Wujal Wujal on day 1...

Resupply in small amounts (no more than one case of light or mid strength beer at a time, and up to 2 litres of wine only) is available in various places. No spirits, or fortifieds eg brandy, port...

Dave

Rob&Tanya
06-06-11, 01:07 PM
I don't think we'll bother to take any, just have a drink at whatever watering hole crops up :-)

Steve F
06-06-11, 01:31 PM
Doesn't really look like an issue, a case of mid strength beer is fine for me and with us driving pretty much everday it's not like I'll be knocking back 1/2 dozen each night anyway :)

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
06-06-11, 02:51 PM
Doesn't really look like an issue, a case of mid strength beer is fine for me and with us driving pretty much everday it's not like I'll be knocking back 1/2 dozen each night anyway :)

Cheers
Steve

WHAT A LOAD OF................ lol
Agreed Steve, & As has been said there will be road houses along the way. The only differences I can see will be the price.

Dave
06-06-11, 03:18 PM
Yeah, sorry guys, but them's the rules. Knew it would be a 'hot topic'!

Dave

Hunno
06-06-11, 05:01 PM
Yeah, sorry guys, but them's the rules. Knew it would be a 'hot topic'!

Dave
better know now so there is plenty of time to pull out. NOT!!!

I think we'll all manage.

glend
06-06-11, 11:49 PM
For people working out fuel budgets for the Cape Trip, here are the distances that I have come up with for the Inland and Coastal routes from Sydney to Cairns:

Inland Route: Sydney, Narrabri, Moree, Roma, Emerald, Charter Towers, Townsville, Cairns. Total distance is 2402 kms one way. Round trip is obviously 4804kms on that route.

I used this calculator:

http://www.auinfo.com/australian%20distance%20calculator.html

Coastal Route: Sydney, Coffs, Brisbane, Rocky, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns. Total distance is 2700kms one way. Round trip on this route is 5400kms.

Dave's Cape itinerary details 2,736kms from Cairns to the Tip and return to Cairns. Obviously fuel economy on the Cape track sections is going to be very different from the road stages so factor your knowledge of your own vehicle in that situation.

Total combined kms to the Tip and back is 7540kms on the Inland route and return, and 8136kms on the Coast route.

Hunty
07-06-11, 01:18 AM
For people working out fuel budgets for the Cape Trip, here are the distances that I have come up with for the Inland and Coastal routes from Sydney to Cairns:

Inland Route: Sydney, Narrabri, Moree, Roma, Emerald, Charter Towers, Townsville, Cairns. Total distance is 2402 kms one way. Round trip is obviously 4804kms on that route.

I used this calculator:

http://www.auinfo.com/australian%20distance%20calculator.html

Coastal Route: Sydney, Coffs, Brisbane, Rocky, Mackay, Townsville, Cairns. Total distance is 2700kms one way. Round trip on this route is 5400kms.

Dave's Cape itinerary details 2,736kms from Cairns to the Tip and return to Cairns. Obviously fuel economy on the Cape track sections is going to be very different from the road stages so factor your knowledge of your own vehicle in that situation.

Total combined kms to the Tip and back is 7540kms on the Inland route and return, and 8136kms on the Coast route.

Thanx Glen - I appreciate all your great info - i had not given any thought to which way I was going - i just assumed I would go coast to brissy and coast to cairns - but after seeing the huge km savings going via moree i will ditch my earlier coastal plans - thanx again mate - cheers Hunty

glend
07-06-11, 08:53 AM
No worries Hunty happy to help out. For anyone thinking of driving straight through with little sleep or stops I'd suggest going via the coast for one good reason - there is just too much risk of hitting something on those central QLd roads at dusk and dawn (and at night) as much of it is unfenced and cattle and roos do what they will. Despite all the towns to go through it is possible to make the coast route quicker, with obvious strategies like avoiding hitting Brisbane and surrounds at morning or afternoon peak hour, and anywhere from Tweed Heads north to the Sunshine coast exits is pretty much commuter territory on that stretch. Also north of the Sunshine coast, on the Bruce Highway stretch up to Bundaberg, the speed has been reduced to 90kmph for long sections due to road conditions and the death toll (and it is heavily patroled during the day). The last time I did the Rocky to Mackay section (300kms) there was no fuel north from Rocky until Sarina so factor that in to your planning.

If your thinking you may need access to a Jeep service centre or parts then the coast is the only option as they just don't exist inland (other than Mt Isa). My son uses North Jacklin at Mackay and seems to think they are pretty good. There is DC Motors at Rockhampton; and in the far north and a possible service centre:

In Cairns:
Ireland Chrysler

27 Mulgrave Rd Cairns QLD 4870

Phone: 07 4052 3666

In Townsville:

Pickerings Chrysler Jeep Dodge

605-609 Sturt Street Townsville QLD 4810
Phone: 07 4726 5555

And of course there is Eddy!

Steve F
07-06-11, 10:06 AM
I usually do the inland route but if we have a small convoy of vehicles going up at the same time I'm happy to go with the flow, with safety in numbers I'd recommend the inland route anyway though :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
07-06-11, 04:58 PM
Since I have earmarked 4 days to get up there (and 4 days back) I was thinking of a more coastal / scenic route up. Buckets Way, Thunderbolt Way to Armidale, then New England HWY into QLD. Rejoin the coast at about Rockhampton then follow to Cairns. Inland route to return to Sydney from Undara.

I haven't done the drive to Cairns before, so I thought I would vary it a bit. Have not yet planned out overnight stops - although Armidale might be as far as I get on day 1.

I imagine that we are all planning varied routes and times up at least, but if anyone is planning to run on my timetable they are welcome to join - and help share cost of accommodation? (I'm only taking tropical weight camping gear, so will motel or cabin North and South until it is warm!)

Dave

Steve F
07-06-11, 05:14 PM
I've had a rethink and may do the coast, just to Harrington (Taree) on Tuesday evening after work as we have family there and then a few days until arriving in Cairns on Friday afternoon/evening sometime.

Cheers
Steve

Rob&Tanya
07-06-11, 05:45 PM
If you're planning on Armidale - then maybe you'd like to join us at our shack on the way through - it's just 60kms out of Armidale (on Tamworth side) :-) It's one of our planned stops at this stage.

glend
19-06-11, 10:17 AM
Anyone taking a JK CRD on the Cape Trip might want to consider carrying a spare fuel line T piece, I have seen two of these ripped out by sticks being kicked up under the JK and breaking the plastic T piece. The T piece is located next to the fuel filter (which is mounted on the dirver side chassis rail under the drivers feet) and has no real protection in that location. This is the location in 2008 and 2009 JK Unlimteds maybe its been redesigned since.
If it breaks it disables the vehicle (no fuel rail pressure) and any attempts to fix it in the field with rescue tape etc will not work. My son broke his in Bylong NP and was stranded overnight until flat towed out to where his JK could be recovered on a 2WD access road. The second one was on a C grade trip at Jambo 2010 when the trip leader ran over a stick on a track and it kicked up and ripped out his T piece (I was following him at the time and saw it first hand). We had to leave the Jambo trip leaders JK out in the bush as the terrain did not allow us to recover it and it was near dark, again it was the next day before a rescue team got to it. We tried to jury rig something there on the track but plastic T pieces can't be taped up - especially in the dark when covered in diesel, and the fuel return line pressure would just pop it loose again. In my son's case he replaced the OEM plastic piece with a brass fitting and has had no further problems.

If you have underbody protection covering that area I guess your ok, but if you don't I'd be carrying a replacement or a suitable set of brass fittings. Eddy is aware of this problem as we discussed it but I don't know what he did with his.

Dave
19-06-11, 11:33 AM
Final Numbers!

With just three months (to the day for me - 19 Sept) until we head North, and two weeks to the July Club Meeting, I thought I would throw in a reminder.
At the July Club Meeting I will ask for FINAL numbers of vehicles and people that want to come on this trip, because I need to get in and make some bookings. I will bring Registration Forms asking for names and contact details - as I did last year for the trip out West.

Why am I doing this so "early"? The Cape can be busy! I have already made a preliminary booking for 20 people and 12 vehicles at the Lions Den, as there is a music festival on the week we will be coming through, and I wanted to make sure they had space for us. They asked for accurate numbers ASAP. I also need to book camping spaces in Cooktown, Seisia, Weipa, Lakeland and Undara. First in best dressed at all these places. I also need numbers of people interested in the Thursday and Horn Island Tour, and the Weipa Tour, so that they know we are coming and will actually run the trips. I want to make all these calls during the July school hols while I have a bit of time.

So, I will have paper forms with me at the July Meeting, please bring your details.

OR if you email me or PM me with your email address, I can email you a form right now, you can fill out and email back or bring it in two weeks. My email is on the last page of the Itinerary.

I will update the Definitely list on the first page with names of those that have registered, and will move others to the Expressed Interest list. There are a number of people that said they wanted to come 6 months ago, that I have not seen or heard from since...

Thanks,
Dave

Dave
19-06-11, 12:00 PM
Other bookings...

I was not planning to book for anyone else in Cairns. I did last year in Broken Hill as everyone was arriving on the same day. This year I expect we will all be arriving sooner or later - and there are other options.

As per the itinerary I will book myself into Sunland Leisure Park - Powered and Unpowered Camp Sites, also a range of Cabins for a range of numbers of people – see http://www.sunlandcaraparkinn.com.au (http://www.sunlandcaraparkinn.com.au) 49-61 Pease St, Manoora QLD 4870‎ - (07) 4053 6888. I have stayed there before and it is very nice, has BBQ areas and a pool...

My aim is to spend 3 nights in Cairns, arrive Thurs 22 Sept and stay Fri and Sat nights - get the Jeep serviced and sightsee - before we head North on Sunday 25th. I can book for others, but you will have to let me know for how many nights. Eg Steve F in his last post intends to get to Cairns on Friday...

And you don't have to stay in Cairns. If you are there earlier, you may wish to head up and have a decent look at the Daintree, and we can meet up there on Sunday.

These are some of the things to be discussed, and another reason we will need mobile contact details :)

Dave

jeepney
22-06-11, 11:27 PM
Put me on the Expressed Interest List, Dave. Still have some other factors to sort out before I could be definite. See you during the meeting next month. James & Lucy

Dave
23-06-11, 04:10 PM
Hi James,

You are on the list, and will email you all the info and rego form when I get home this evening. Glad to hear you are considering it, and I hope the tyres worked out too!

Dave

jeepney
23-06-11, 11:27 PM
Thanks Dave. Didn't bid on those BS D693 tyres. There is another one on ebay for $690 for 4 and almost brand new with markings on them. Still looking.... but I'm happy with my existing GY ATR tyres. BTW, I also found an extra rim (exactly the same design) so I'll have 2 spares for the trip as you recommended.

Steve F
24-06-11, 12:35 AM
That park looks good, we'll probably stay there as well and book a cabin. I'll sort my booking out in the next few weeks.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
24-06-11, 02:28 PM
Yes Steve, child friendly too! There is a club with a good bistro within walking distance - if eg we wanted a pre trip get together dinner or something. There is also a good shopping centre nearby and it isn't far from town for last minute supplies etc...

I hope most people will organise accommodation in Cairns (or elsewhere) - although I am happy to book at Sunland if people want cabins or camping. I will book myself in there after the July meeting - when I get rego forms back from everyone.

Thanks,
Dave

Hunty
01-07-11, 11:44 PM
I'm getting excited now!
and my Jeep has begun its metamorphous from rock hopper to long range tourer!

Has anybody got any idea (Dave-Im sure you will have figured this out for your amazing diesel miser LoL- you Legend) how much fuel I will need to have on board in worst case scenario ? and is the longest dry stretch 375kms?

So what is the best guess on maximum distance between fill ups?....... Ill just multiply that by 15L/100 and voila!
I have figured I can easily add 40 - 50 litres of extra fuel to my Petrol JK and am hoping to not have to ad 60+ litres
any thoughts fellow Capers?

Hunno
02-07-11, 12:28 AM
In Dave original itinerary the fuel stops where all listed with kms & all. I couldn't see a problem in the Grand but that may have all changed with the up grades.hoping it's all finished in time or I'll have to buy another ready to go just for the trip.LOL. Hope not.

Steve F
02-07-11, 10:56 AM
I'm thinking of taking 1 20lt jerry can as a spare, that'll give me 140lt and cruising at 90kmh or slower will get me around 800km at least.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
02-07-11, 11:01 AM
Hi Guys,

The longest "dry" stretch between available fuel on the itinerary is about 350 km - Day 3 and 4 Cooktown to Musgrave Roadhouse via Elim Beach. However that should all be hi range 2wd and 4wd, and there is a petrol station in Hopevale if you wish top top up after going to Elim - I did not put that in the itinerary, sorry.

But, the bit of the trip that will determine fuel use most is Archer River Roadhouse to Jardine River - Days 5 and 6. Fuel is fine at Archer River, then it is 165km to Bramwell Junction (hi range) - where we dive off onto the Old Telegraph Track. There is fuel at Bramwell, but some people have been relectant to trust the quality of it - which is why I am getting a fuel filter funnel from BCF (if they ever get stock in, been waiting a month now...).

From Bramwell Junction we have 144 km to Jardine River and about 100km of that will have significant low range - sand, mud, creek crossings etc on the OTT. So on the itinerary I recommended that everyone should carry one jerrycan - or 20 litres of extra fuel. If we have detours to make, or any recovery work, we should all have plenty of fuel. Check pages 2 and 3 of the itinerary for distances and fuel availability, and the last two pages for my estimates of required "stuff". Also see page 6 of this thread for Glen D's comprehensive spares parts etc list!

As far as supplies go, the Cape is a lot less "remote" than last years trip to Birdsville. On that trip I also recommended 1 extra jerry, and everyone made it through fine, even with a couple of 400km plus stages. If you have an extended tank, ie 100 litres or more of onboard fuel, you should not need any extra - but then you know your fuel usage better than me. I will have 96 litres of diesel (I have a Repco 22 litre jerrycan on top of the 74 litres in the main tank) and am not anticipating any problems.

Hope that helps! I'm a school teacher, and this time next school Term (13 weeks) we will be in Cairns - and the trip North from there will start tomorrow. Yeah, you could say I'm looking forward to it!

Dave

Hunty
02-07-11, 11:35 AM
Thanx Dave
I am also getting excited!!!!!
all I have left to do is buy my spare radiator hoses , re install my dual batt setup and sort out fuel and fuel filtration.
Yeeehaaaa can't wait

Dave
02-07-11, 11:43 AM
Good one Hunty. I've just called BCF and my filter funnel is in, so going to pick it up today. Dont know if you saw my earlier post about them, check out http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html or http://www.proquip.com.au/Product%20Pages/Funnels/Mr%20Funnel%20Fuel%20Filter%20Funnels.html

I'm getting the 19 litre per minute - $69 from BCF. Thought it would be a good idea given all the water that has been lying about up there, and any other crap in poorly maintained storage tanks. Cheaper than a new fuel filter (under the bonnet) and means you are putting clean fuel into your tank and jerry (and boat, bike or whatever else you own).

This time last year I was heading for Broken Hill - I must be suffering from withdrawl!!!

Dave

Hunty
02-07-11, 12:02 PM
Excellent idea Dave - you are D man!
hey... if they have 2 down there @ BCF give me a call - I just PM'd my mobile number
cheers Hunty

Steve F
04-07-11, 09:02 PM
On the 'rest' days, where I plan to do as little driving as possible ;) will we be camped at powered sites, or where power is available. Just wondering what I should do about the fridge and if I need to bring my small solar panel or just go with the battery charger :)

Cheers
Steve

Heidi
04-07-11, 09:29 PM
Steve do you have a second battery? We can normally go upto 3 days without moving the jeep running our 40lt engel..and the second battery is only a 55amph

Steve F
04-07-11, 09:39 PM
Yep, I do, just always cautious of draining it down too far and the solar really helps if there is no power. I think it's a 55AH as well, the big one is on the camper and too big for the XJ.

Cheers
Steve

glend
04-07-11, 10:44 PM
Steve, I run a 55AH in the KJ dedicated to power my Waeco, and I have the 100AH one in the camper. For the Cape Trip it will be the same setup as the Desert Trip, with just the 55AH getting a top up charge with the Cetex charger whenever power is available. Of course the Desert is July is alot colder than the Cape in September so I expect more compressor on time. I have considered a small solar panel mounted on my roof rack to boost the battery while underway, lunch stops etc then I probably would not need to worry about night time charging. I won't have much on the roof (taking the popup tent for the ground), so there is room up there for a small panel.

Heidi
04-07-11, 11:38 PM
I think you will find that even though you are staying put for a few days you will still drive round to see the sights - a drive on the beach, out to see the plane wrecks, out the tip, to meet the ferry to go to Thursday Island etc. That should be enough to top up the 2nd battery. Sometimes we leave the car idling at camp if we have not driven far enough for a good charge especially in hot weather.

At christmas our 2nd battery failed and the engel only ran when the car was running, we camped in the one spot for 7 days, 7 days, 4 days and the last spot was 3 days. The fridge was still cold enough to keep the meat and milk products OK. We did lots of day trips though.

Ash74
05-07-11, 09:23 AM
Dave

Is there any room left? and will you be at the meet on the 6th?

Dave
05-07-11, 03:43 PM
Dave

Is there any room left? and will you be at the meet on the 6th?

Hi Ash,

I got your PM and sent a reply by email with the itinerary. I will be at the meeting on Wednesday night - early for dinner - if you would like to discuss. I am hoping to finalise numbers on Wednesday (well, this week anyway) so I can make camping and tour bookings etc next week when I have some spare time.

Hope to see you Wednesday,

Dave.

Dave
05-07-11, 03:51 PM
On the 'rest' days, where I plan to do as little driving as possible ;) will we be camped at powered sites, or where power is available. Just wondering what I should do about the fridge and if I need to bring my small solar panel or just go with the battery charger :)

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve, on the rest days - an afternoon in Cooktown, coupladays in Seisia for the TI / Horn Island Tour and the lay day, and about a day and a half in Weipa, there WILL be power available. I can't guarantee power elsewhere, eg Lions Den, Archer River, Jardine River, Bramwell Junction, and definately no power at Kalpowar or Dalhunty River, but all these are one night only stops, with over 100kms of driving either side to charge batteries.

Don't know if that helps or not...

I'm going to rely on my esky and hoping to be able to buy ice at least every second day, just to keep drinks etc cool. All other food will be tinned. I hope I don't regret that...

Dave

glend
05-07-11, 04:00 PM
I can run my fridge off the rear cargo area power point while underway (only draws 2.5amps) and will plug it into the second battery distribution board at night. I'm not a great fan of charging batteries off the alternator as they never get topped up (unless you have one of those expensive systems that boost the voltage). Keeping it simple, I will be.

Steve F
05-07-11, 04:04 PM
My battery charges off the alternator so no problems with the overnighters, or realistically a few nights. Just nice to stick the battery on charge properly if the oppertunity comes up :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
05-07-11, 04:30 PM
Another thought, if people have space, bring an extension lead and a four pack. Then even if we are sharing a couple of power points we should be able to run several fridges. I carry a four pack to charge camera and radio batteries. A plug that has the lead come straight out vertically (not side entry lead) is more useful, as "outdoor" power points are often deeply inset, so the lead has to go in straight (hope that makes sense :)).

Dave

Dave
06-07-11, 10:50 PM
List of Attendees moved - now on pages 1 and 22.

Dave

Dave
07-07-11, 10:20 AM
A Fuel price update on the Cape, a topic that stirred a bit of interest last night, I found these prices from last week:

Last week - diesel

Bramwell Junction - $2.29
Bamaga - $2.24
Lakeland BP - $1.61
Weipa BP - $1.71
Coen Caltex - $1.76

These came from http://capeyorkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942&page=2 which seems to get updated at least every couple of weeks. Actually there is a lot of good chat in the 4WD section on this forum http://capeyorkforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 CREB conditions and other roads etc. Worth a look.

Prices north of the Jardine are going to hurt, but are a bit more reasonable further south. The last post on the forum today is blaming Seaswift - the shipping company that transports all supplies to Seisia for towns north of the Jardine. Maybe (if oil prices stay under $100 a barrel) prices will ease a bit in the next 12 weeks. If as Maggie mentioned last night even milk is scarce, then perhaps Seaswifts deliveries have been interrupted, which will push prices up too.

On the way North, I will fill up at either Coen or Archer River, then top up at Bramwell for the OTT. We will all probably need fuel at Jardine River or Bamaga, after the OTT. Unfortunately they don't mention prices at Archer or Jardine. Oh well, will probably be even higher next year...

Dave

Steve F
07-07-11, 08:54 PM
Dave, can you take us off the Weipa tour, just had a look and they dont take kids under 5 as the bus cant accomodate them. No biggie we'll hang around the pool :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
07-07-11, 09:23 PM
Dave, can you take us off the Weipa tour, just had a look and they dont take kids under 5 as the bus cant accomodate them. No biggie we'll hang around the pool :)

Cheers
Steve

D'oh, hadn't spotted that, sorry. Done :)

Dave

Steve F
07-07-11, 09:45 PM
Looks like the CREB is open :) It'll be weather watch for me the few weeks before we head off so I can decide if it's the CREB or Bloomfield.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
07-07-11, 10:18 PM
Man you are ahead of the game tonight :). I just checked Cairns Council;

"Following initial assessments undertaken by Cairns Regional Council Officers, the CREB track has been reopened. Improvement works will be undertaken in the next few weeks. Motorists are asked to observe the signs and drive with caution."

Also from http://capeyorkforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375&page=5 - "No permit required to Traverse, and permit no longer required for Roaring Meg Falls. However, you are required to contact local to let them know you are coming. It is a respect of the landowners thing, which I fully support. DERM at Mossman has the info on (07) 4098 2188 - Faye is lovely and very helpful - she even emails through maps and information! Not sure about camping however, as we are not camping there - continuing on for a coldie at the Lions Den."

So, baring disasters, we are all systems go! 11 weeks today and I'm in Cairns...

Dave

glend
07-07-11, 10:47 PM
So who is considerng the CREB other than SteveF, who would probably want at least one other vehicle going that way?

Dave
07-07-11, 11:21 PM
I know that Hunno was keen. I'd suggest only people with high clearance, Mud Terrain tyres and possibly lockers just in case. It is only the same distance as the Bloomfield Track, but I am told that it can take a few hours if the weather is fine, or a couple of days if there is any rain. Also that it involves steep and slippery climbs and descents. We can probably decide which way people are going when we arrive at Daintree...

It should be a great drive and I hope that pix are taken, but I'm going via Bloomfield! We will meet up again at Lions Den (if the trip is short) or in Cooktown (if it ain't).

Dave

Steve F
07-07-11, 11:28 PM
I'm still very undecided on it at the moment, having Bec and Emily with me changes the priorities a little and the main aim for this trip is to get there and back in one piece and everyone in the Jeep have a good time, not just me ;) When it comes down to it any hint of an issue on the CREB and I'll be doing the Bloomfield.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
07-07-11, 11:57 PM
I want to do it all. However I think it will be a case judgement at the time.Also thought Hunty was keen too.

kiwi kev
08-07-11, 05:17 PM
I'll have a go at CREB

Hunno
08-07-11, 08:25 PM
I'll have a go at CREB

Alrighty. Thats 2, Anyone else?

Dave
11-07-11, 11:35 AM
Hi All,

Am making bookings! Just called Cairns Sunland Caravan Park. They prefer bookings online (apparently cheaper). Their NEW web address is http://www.4star.com.au/index.htm. Only changed last week so the one on the itinerary is out of date.

Dave

Dave
11-07-11, 12:02 PM
Hi All again,

I have made most of the bookings! There were also a few things that I could not book for the group - accommodation in Cairns and the TI / Horn Island tour, that individuals need to decide on and book themselves - they want payment on booking. Please call (07) 4069 1551 Peddells Ferrys to book Two Island Tour on 3 October. I have sent a group email to our 9 'definites' (see page 1) with more details. Please let me know what the decisions are.

I have not heard anything new from the 4 remaining 'maybes' despite emails and PM's, so I will take them off the list soon.

Good on you Hunno, Steve and Glen, you got a better deal than me - although I booked a Poolside Studio Cabin Deal for three individuals for three nights $225 (no sharing of beds!!!!)!

Thanks,
Dave

Hunno
11-07-11, 12:18 PM
Just booked in to a Budget Busting Villa - Deal - 3nts $135
See you all in Cairns

Steve F
11-07-11, 01:44 PM
Also booked as well into a Deluxe Villa (There's 3 of us) booked for Friday and Saturday night, still under $200 so pretty reasonable.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
11-07-11, 01:51 PM
Saw this on Ausjeep

"Fishing was great and the tele track was a heap of fun although alot more water this year than when i went in 2009, Nolans is deep and the bottom extremely soft! beware! alot have been caught out! otherwise gunshot is doable, palm entry is rutted more and the northern exit took 3 goes this time- most had to winch or snatch. Will post some pics when i get my computer back from the shop, hope those heading up have a great trip"

Cheers
Steve

glend
11-07-11, 01:59 PM
I've booked a Budget Buster Villa for two nights (Friday the 23rd and Saturday the 24th).

Cheers
Glen

Dave
11-07-11, 02:32 PM
Saw this on Ausjeep

"Fishing was great and the tele track was a heap of fun although alot more water this year than when i went in 2009, Nolans is deep and the bottom extremely soft! beware! alot have been caught out! otherwise gunshot is doable, palm entry is rutted more and the northern exit took 3 goes this time- most had to winch or snatch. Will post some pics when i get my computer back from the shop, hope those heading up have a great trip"

Cheers
Steve

Nice one Steve, good to know! We probably will turn off the OTT before Nolans - it is up close to the old Jardine Ford, but Palm is the first creek we get to, and we definately do Gunshot!!! I'm not planning to be first vehicle through Palm at least, get a big clearance and winch across first just in case my stumpy little 'legs' go scrabbly scrabbly without getting anywhere.

Have updated my bookings Post #112 above and emailed everyone re booking Two Island Tour etc...

Dave

Dave
12-07-11, 10:49 AM
I have booked my Two Island Tour $241 - Please call (07) 4069 1551 Peddells Ferrys to book for 3 October. Sorry for the earlier stuff up when I emailed the wrong phone number.

The lady that took my booking asked when she could expect the rest of us to to call (we have 10 adults going according to rego sheets and Em who will be free :-) I said hopefully in the next few days. Apparently the two island tour is a 'special' booking for groups, after the end of the 'season' ie from 1 Oct on... so she wants to know for sure ASAP.

A couple of people did not want to do the two island tour. It is possible to just do Thursday Island - $143 return ferry and tour. The extra time can be spent wandering around the shops on TI... If you want to think about it, check the website http://www.peddellsferry.com.au/ (http://www.peddellsferry.com.au/) totally up to you!

All bookings now done! I'm ready to go, unfortunately still 9 weeks 6 days 'till I hit the road, but who's counting?

Dave

glend
12-07-11, 08:34 PM
I was reading through the Myswag Cape York 2011 forum today. They went up in late June early July - QLd School holidays, and many are reporting in from the Cape as they come back down. Seems like it was pretty wet. SJC Cape trippers might enjoy reading through the MySwag accounts of their experiences (of course they were towing campers). The Carnage on the Cape thread is interesting for getting and idea of the damage that can occur. It sounds like they had a few winch solenoids and general winch failures (even with pre-trip servicing), which I guess we can put down to hauling campers and heavily laden vehicles out of bogs.
Here is the Carnage on the Cape thread. Be aware that their threads run in reverse order to SJC so the most recent stuff is at the top of the first page of each thread.
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14695.0

The scary story for me was the airborn tinny spinning on its offroad hitch and throwing its contents at oncoming traffic on the Dev Road.

Cheers
Glen

Steve F
12-07-11, 09:47 PM
That was a good read, does sound like they gave the winches a flogging. Might have to pull mine apart and give it a once over as it doesn't get used much these days. I cant wait to head off now, I'm hoping with the minimal amount of KM's we need to do most days we can take it easy enough that the corrugations wont be too much of a problem :) Or am I asking too much?

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
12-07-11, 11:21 PM
Might have to buy one before we go.

Dave
13-07-11, 12:25 AM
That was a good read, does sound like they gave the winches a flogging. Might have to pull mine apart and give it a once over as it doesn't get used much these days. I cant wait to head off now, I'm hoping with the minimal amount of KM's we need to do most days we can take it easy enough that the corrugations wont be too much of a problem :) Or am I asking too much?

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, after reading that, and seeing a couple of other forums with current descriptions of creeks on the OTT, I'm glad we have a few vehicles with winches, just in case! In the Myswag Forum, just below the tinny flip over, someone posted "I am not surprised. The road is in that great a condition that people can travel as fast as they like and do it easily." Hopefully the roads will still be in good condition when we get there, and in Sept / Oct there should be a bit less traffic!

Dave

Steve F
13-07-11, 11:32 AM
Here's a short clip from myswag, these guys just returned form the cape so gives a good idea of what to expect, my only thought is it could be a bit more dug out when we go, looks like it'll be fun :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep_uuZhbA24&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hj3BtPoLwc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-JhVTO986E&feature=related

Cheers
Steve

Dave
13-07-11, 12:09 PM
Thanks Steve, those are great!

In 08, Palm Creek was just about dry, the ruts were the things that slowed people down. A LOT muddier at the moment, and it looks like the ruts are getting really deep, which is why I'd like a BIG jeep with winch to be going first, to help the shorties through just in case.

Steve asked me what vehicles are going;
Three JK's - Eddy, Hunty and Kiwi Kev, all well equiped with lifts, snorks and winches I believe, although I am not so familiar with Kev's vehicle.
One XJ - that's you Steve, I'd say you are ready for anything.
Two Grands - James M is fairly stock I think, and Hunno who is well set up.
One TJ - John C, and I think it is fairly stock, although has new Micky T tyres
Two KJ's - Mine and GlenD's. Both have snorks and lifts, although mine is only 2 inch on AT's, while Glen is on 3 inches and now running mudders.

So, there are a few vehicles to 'watch' including me. Will try to get cars with lower clearance and less bitey tyres to cross creeks ahead of the bigger vehicles, before the banks get too churned up - except whoever goes first with a winch!

I think a lot of this will be wait and see when we get there and we will be walking creeks first... As per Club requirements all vehicles MUST carry recovery gear, and I suggested a car bra / tarp for water crossings. Hopefully everyone has read the itinerary and other posts in this thread re spares and equipment needed!

Steve has created a new thread in Club Matters called SJC Cape York 2011 Vehicle specs and Equipment (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?2559-SJC-Cape-York-2011-Vehicle-specs-and-Equipment) for people to post to...

Hopefully a few people have got in and booked Ferry / Tour now? PLEASE let me know if there are any questions. Everyone has my contacts.

Dave

Steve F
13-07-11, 10:19 PM
Another Plam Creek video, these guys went through the day before the camper trailer group. I can see this either being a lot worse or the ruts dried out and full of log and wood and being pretty easy in 2 months time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaGHmBTvkBA

Cheers
Steve

Bear
13-07-11, 10:31 PM
Just spoke to my son who is on his way home from Cape York ... he went through Palm Creek a couple of days ago. He has offered to get together with Dave one day to let him know first hand what they found on their trip.

Maggie.

Dave
14-07-11, 12:11 AM
Thanks Maggie, let me know when he is about. I could drop round to your place one weekend...

It would be good to know what conditions are like, on main roads as well as the tracks. A few people are curious about corrugations not just mud!

Dave

Dave
14-07-11, 12:22 PM
Another Palm Creek video, these guys went through the day before the camper trailer group. I can see this either being a lot worse or the ruts dried out and full of log and wood and being pretty easy in 2 months time.

Cheers
Steve

With a potentially a long 'haul' out from creeks like Palm in the video above, Glen sent me an excellent link on how to and how NOT to join snatch straps; http://www.tektrek.com.au/images/4WD%20RECOVERY_How%20to%20join%20recovery%20straps .pdf.

Hopefully it will be a bit drier when we get there, but I am going to throw a couple of old towels in the kit just in case. I don't have 2 straps, but surely we can share if necessary?

Glen also sent a link to the "minimum equipment" list that Myswag posted; http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14833.msg0;boardseen#new.

It is similar to the list I had in the itinerary - although I wish I had put in spare wheel nuts. It is not as detailed as Glen's list way back on page 6 of this thread. I'll re post it in a month or so time as a reminder.

More comments re 'current' road conditions on the OTT and Peninsula Dev't Road see; http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/87383/Old_Telegraph_Track_or_Bamaga_Road_Bypass_to_Cape_ York_Tip.aspx

Just waiting to get confirmation of camping etc from Undara and we will be 'ready' to go!

Dave

Dave
16-07-11, 06:47 PM
Hi All,

I have sent one last group email about bookings, I hope everyone has got the emails - sent to addresses from 'rego' forms.

I have booked everything I can, and paid deposits where needed.

I hope everyone has sorted out accommodation in Cairns and the TI / Horn Island tours. We also need to do individual tour bookings and payments at Undara. Sorry, but these three all insist on payment up front. All details on the email.

I hope I haven't been too 'over-the-top', just want to get everything sorted before I get back to work on Monday. Hopefully all we need to do now is get there and enjoy ourselves :)!

Any problems or questions, please let me know.

Thanks, Dave.

Steve F
16-07-11, 07:03 PM
You've done a great job Dave, actually it's going to be a little easier doing the trip and having a few things paid for up front. Keep the emails coming as you see fit :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
17-07-11, 12:08 AM
Thanks Steve! It has been good touching base with all the operators up there. Even though they had a big wet earlier this year, they are still having a really busy season, and most are looking forward to things slowing down a bit once the school hols are over. I just hope that everyone has got the emails and done the bookings they need to, not everyone has emailed or posted... I guess a last reminder at the next club meeting shouldn't (I hope) be too late, although both tour operators stressed the 'get in soon or miss out' message. The ferry to TI only takes 40 or so people, and the Undara tours, well I don't know exactly.

We get to Undara just after the Opera in the Outback finishes on the 8th, and even though it is still 2 months off, they are already booked solid for that - no vacancies at all, so by fluke the dates have worked out well!

I agree that it is good to have a few hundred dollars of spending done already, have a chance to save up a bit now without quite so many expenses when we get there... And I still need to buy a new camera!

Dave

kiwi kev
17-07-11, 11:14 AM
Dave, my car has winch, snorkel,lft and 33 in MTZ's, the jks might be bit light to pull heavier cars in some situations, unless secured from behind
thanks for all the emails and arrangements,well done

Dave
17-07-11, 11:32 AM
Thanks Kev! I had a feeling that you had a pretty much "access all areas" Jeep! Just couldn't remember exactly. Steve has a 'vehicles and kit' post in the Club matters section...

After Hunty dragged me up a hill with his JK at Lake Lyall, I have lots of confidence in their abilities. We will work out who needs to lead etc when we get to the creeks in question and have a look first hand. With the crew and gear we are taking, We should not have much trouble. (If all those camper trailers made it through the mud...)

Dave

kiwi kev
17-07-11, 11:40 AM
will do, will also huury up and book ferry

Ash74
21-07-11, 03:59 PM
Dave

G'day

Unfortunately I cannot make this trip, but I am doing the birdsville in Septemeber round trip from Sydney to Birdsville broken hill and back to sydney. I know you have done this trip so can I please ask some questions.
How much spare fuel should I take?
Could a on road camper do the track?

Dave
21-07-11, 08:31 PM
Dave

G'day

Unfortunately I cannot make this trip, but I am doing the birdsville in Septemeber round trip from Sydney to Birdsville broken hill and back to sydney. I know you have done this trip so can I please ask some questions.
How much spare fuel should I take?
Could a on road camper do the track?

Hi Ash,

That's a shame, but you had said it was likely.

On the other question, if you PM me your email address again, I'll send you a copy of the itinerary I used for the Birdsville trip we did last year. One question, what is an on road camper? Are you talking about a camper trailer or a camper van? If you stick to the main tracks, eg Birdsville, Strzelecki etc then you definatelly CAN take a camper trailer although it will impact on fuel. Last year I suggested all cars carry 100 litres of fuel (main tank plus jerrys), especially petrols. With a trailer, more, but you will know your milage better than me. Itinerary from last year has all our road distances etc, as well as places we went, and I would recommend!

The ferry over the Cooper Creek on the Birdsville Track is running again, don't know for how long. Last year that meant NO trailers, this year it has been lengthened, and the website says "maximum length of vehicles is 9.8m (extended from 7.8m) - trailers are permitted providing that the total length of towing vehicle and trailer does not exceed 9.8m." So now that is up to you (unless you were talking about a camper van, I'm not sure if there are height restrictions).

Check out http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/quicklinks/northern_roads/northern.asp it is the road conditions Bible for that part of Aust! I'd also recommend the HEMA Great Desert Tracks SE Sheet for track distances, fuel availability and GPS points.

Hope that will help.

Dave

kiwi kev
21-07-11, 09:07 PM
Jk's ( TG recovery team) will look after you blokes, I cant make Aug club meeting will be overseas , need to minimise my time away from office so looking to head to cairns 20th sept ,anyone else going that date ?

Dave
21-07-11, 09:16 PM
I think Steve might be heading out of Syd on the 20th. I'm going on the 19th with Ed and John in convoy, but taking 4 days and going a longer hopefully more scenic route than the inland road. If you go anywhere near the coast north of Bundaberg, you may well catch us up! Are you going to be around for the Sept club meet? We will probably finalise who is travelling when etc then...

Dave

Steve F
21-07-11, 10:26 PM
Yep, I'm heading off on the 20th but not until later in the day, hopefully around 4:30pm and only going to Harrington (Taree)

Cheers
Steve

glend
21-07-11, 11:04 PM
I am leaving early on the 20th and heading up via Narrabri, Moree, Roma and Emerald, etc to Charter Towers and then east to Townsville. I'll be stopping first night (20th) at Moree or Roma depending on how tired I am and then again at Dysart on the 21st (staying at my son's place). On the 22nd I should be in Charter Towers, or maybe Townsville depending on how much time it takes me to service the Jeep in Dysart and swap on the muddies. Arrive in Cairns on the 23rd in early afternoon.

For those taking the coast road (Bruce Highway) from experience I would suggest avoiding trying to cross (Brisbane megopolous) ie the section from the Tweed River to Sunshine Coast in the early morning or after 3pm because it's one giant F3 (or M5) type commuter road during those times (easiest times are 10am to 2pm). And from Rocky to Mackay there is pretty much nothing (including no where to stop overnight unless your camping at a rest area - somewhere like Clairview, there is also a small caravan park there and great views of the ocean) so fuel up at Rocky. Plenty of motels and such up to Rocky (and Yepoon) but then nothing of that ilk until Sarina/Mackay. Happy Trails.

Cheers Glen

Dieselcon
21-07-11, 11:37 PM
Im excited for all you lucky people...
I wish, I wish, I wish I could come.........

Dave
22-07-11, 06:50 PM
Thanks Glen, I will try to avoid Brisbane and head through Toowoomba inland of there!

I (and Google Maps) am working on a 4 day, 2629 km plan that may go sort of like this;

Mon 19th Sydney to Glen Innes
570km – about 7 hours 27 mins Via F3, Bucketts Way, Thunderbolts Way, New England Hwy
Tues 20th Glen Innes to Bundaberg
699km – about 8 hours 39 mins Via New England Hwy, Bruce Hwy
Wed 21st Bundaberg to Mackay
623km – about 7 hours 50 mins Via Bruce Hwy
Thurs 22nd Mackay to Cairns
737 km – about 9 hours 7 mins Via Bruce Hwy

Unless of course anyone knows that this is a bad plan - please let me know.

Intend to come back south via your inland route. From Undara its a 350 km straight run southeast to Charters Towers.

Dave

kiwi kev
22-07-11, 08:30 PM
Dave, will be at sept meeting
I would like to drive up with someone , only know coastal hwy or new england hwy, happy to tag along with someone on another route .

Dave
22-07-11, 09:23 PM
Dave, will be at sept meeting
I would like to drive up with someone , only know coastal hwy or new england hwy, happy to tag along with someone on another route .

That's fine Kev, we can discuss next two meetings. All depends on who is leaving when, sounds like a few will leave on the 20th...

I've never driven to Cairns so it will be a new experience for me - why I wanted to go up one way and back another.

Dave

glend
22-07-11, 11:21 PM
I was doing some more reading over on Myswag and it sounds like they have about six more member vehicles and camper trailers heading up to the Cape in the September School Holiday period, and doing sections of the OTL. Obviously we won't have the place to ourselves.

Glen

Steve F
22-07-11, 11:58 PM
Looks like the CREB is off and on at the moment. Closed again for a while and reopened today.

Following initial assessments undertaken by Cairns Regional Council officers, the CREB track will be re-opened tomorrow – Friday, 22 July.
The CREB track is a very steep, rough track linking Daintree to Wujal Wujal. Before attempting to use the track, motorists are advised to check local weather conditions and ensure that they have self-recovery equipment.
The track crosses through the Burungu Aboriginal community. Motorists are asked to be mindful of this when accessing the track.
Improvement works will be undertaken during the next few weeks. Motorists are asked to observe the signs and drive with caution.
Council appreciates your patience and cooperation during this time. For further information, contact Council on 4044 3044.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
23-07-11, 12:04 AM
still plenty of time until we leave for this & other tracks to be sorted. * says with fingers crossed*

Dave
23-07-11, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean Steve, closed and opened twice each this month so far, something about the Daintree River - that you have to ford at the start of the track - being too high. I did spot on one of the posts this link to a fairly good map of the CREB http://www.cairns.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/28598/CREB_Map.pdf.

Glen, I haven't looked at Myswag since two weeks ago. Do the Sept group have an itinerary? Would be good to see if we are going to be 'fighting' over camp spots on the OTT.

Dave

glend
23-07-11, 12:28 PM
No Dave, they haven't published one, it's not as organised as the annual Cape Trip they run, this seems to be the people that could not go at the earlier time and only four of them seem to be travelling together. I'll watch to see if I can find out where and when they will be at the various places. I know that some of them are staying at the Cairns Coconuts Caravan Park (whatever that is).

Here is one of the threads put up by people heading up in Sept School Hols: http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=746.0

On another subject, in addition to the Wallaby Creek Music Festival, there is a big cycle ride happening from Cairns to Cooktown starting at 8am on on the 24th of Sept through the afternoon of the 26th. They had 255 cyclists in this last year:
http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com:8080/cook/events/cardiacchallenge

It doesn't look like they are going via the Bloomfield track but will rejoin the road into Cooktown around Lions Den junction I think. They will have a police escort.

Here are the calendar entries:

http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com:8080/cook/events

Glen

Dave
23-07-11, 06:52 PM
Thanks again Glen. The cycle ride is an interesting one, looks like we might be sharing the road with them on the way into Cooktown. You are right, we are going the same way but only on their last day past Black Mountain. They rejoin our route north of Lions Den, lucky its only 33kms to Cooktown, so we wont be contending with them for long. They are heading inland to Lakeland on Sat, before we follow the coast north on Sun, so we won't see them until Monday. Also glad I have booked Cooktown Caravan Park, as I guess it could fill up with cyclists families... 255 cyclists last year is a big event.

Dave

Steve F
23-07-11, 07:06 PM
Bought some more stuff for the trip today :) We used it as an excuse to get a DSLR camera with a couple of lenses, after all we cant go all that way and not get some good pics :)

Cheers
Steve

glend
23-07-11, 07:20 PM
Re the cyclists, I am reminded of the large group of school kids camping at Wilpena last year (and their antics). Hoping they are staying elsewhere.

Dave
23-07-11, 07:27 PM
Re the cyclists, I am reminded of the large group of school kids camping at Wilpena last year (and their antics). Hoping they are staying elsewhere.

The itinerary suggests that they are staying in school grounds - but on that last night in Cooktown if joined by family...

What did you get Steve? I'm looking very hard at a Fujifilm HS20. I've been really happy with my old Fuji, but they no longer make XD memory cards, so time to upgrade. Saving is the hard thing right now!

Dave

Steve F
23-07-11, 07:35 PM
I bought a Canon EOS1100D with a 18-55mm IS (Image Stabilized) lense and a 55-250mm IS lense for the longer stuff. It's classed as an entry level DSLR but still has plenty of functions and does more than I know how to :) I'll also be taking my Canon SX200IS which is a point and shoot camera but takes great pics and is at the upper end of the compact cameras :) Also have a couple of 16GB Class 10 cards.

That HS20 has a massive zoom!!! Get a tripod as well if you dont have one ;)

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
23-07-11, 07:44 PM
I just bought a Canon EOS 7D for the Cape Trip of course LOL. Only the one lens thou, 15-85mm.

On an other note the ZJ at least drives now.
From here its a waiting game on the parts.............................................

Dave
23-07-11, 07:54 PM
I bought a Canon EOS1100D with a 18-55mm IS (Image Stabilized) lense and a 55-250mm IS lense for the longer stuff. It's classed as an entry level DSLR but still has plenty of functions and does more than I know how to :) I'll also be taking my Canon SX200IS which is a point and shoot camera but takes great pics and is at the upper end of the compact cameras :) Also have a couple of 16GB Class 10 cards.

That HS20 has a massive zoom!!! Get a tripod as well if you dont have one ;)

Cheers
Steve

Got a tripod already but hate using it! I have tried the camera in a shop on max zoom, and it has one heck of a good image stabilizer and a pretty quick exposure. The 30x zoom is roughly a 28 to 720mm lens all in one, my old one was about equivalent to 300mm, so am looking forward to playing - just as soon as I can pay for it!

Sounds like you are getting there Hunno, great to hear!

Guess I should also ask, has everyone booked the trips to TI / Horn islands, and camping and tours at Undara that they want?

Dave

glend
23-07-11, 08:58 PM
Just for ease of use and small size, I'll stick with my trusty Nikon point and shoot pocket digitial, mainly because I find that for uploading to Photobucket or posting images setting it for PC screen size format is plenty of pixels for me (even though the camera can do much more). I am sure all the new maximegapixel cameras can capture at lower resolution as well. My son took his Canon EOS system on the Desert Trip and the size of the photo images became a real problem when trying to exchange photos, post etc, simply because he wanted the highest quality images. Yes, I know resizing applications are available but I like the ease of just uploading from the camera in the correct web format.

The technology is certainly changing fast, but I admit to hanging on to the old stuff: I have a great late 1970's vintage Pentax KX 35mm film (match needle) SLR with assorted lens which I have used all over the world, but its a collectors item now and its not easy to find film or a good processing facility anymore. Others in the collection include an Argus Range Finder 35mm from the 1950s (my dad's camera), and my grand fathers Box Brownie.

Dave, I haven't booked for TI/Horn tours because I am not going on those (will instead use it as a lay day to site see around the tip, check out the old aircraft wrecks, and relax and maybe do some laundry). I haven't booked at Undara yet, waiting to hear back from my son on when he will be coming down the Savanah Way from his trip to the NT, I might be heading west to Normanton to meet up with him.

Cheers
Glen

Dave
23-07-11, 09:27 PM
That's fine Glen, knew about TI/Horn from your rego form, but haven't heard from a few others. I hope Undara will work out for you, heck if the timing is right, it would be great to see James - Ed also asked if he was coming on the trip - perhaps he can drop in for the day...

I'd like to do the full Savannah Way! When we do that 'Lap of Australia' trip (one day)!

Dave

glend
24-07-11, 11:12 AM
Here is a link to some photos of the fish that the Myswag people caught on their Cape Trip, and some location info: (Note you will need a MYSWAG user ID logon to see the photos - I think)

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14826.0

Anyone planning on fishing up there? As I'm not going to TI might use that day to do some beach fishing somewhere.

Also, Cape Trippers might want to consider getting their tents, swags, etc out and checking out the insect screens before departure. When I was up at Cape Tribulation in 2008 I found out the hard way that the insect screens in the camper windows were not 'midge proof', the mesh was large enough to allow in the little critters that lurked around the beach there.

Cheers
Glen

Dave
24-07-11, 08:02 PM
If anyone is looking to spend some money, $10 will get you Edition #1 of 4WD Action Magazines Iconic Destination Series - which this month is Cape York (next month is Simpson Desert - just a year too late). Even comes with a DVD. The mag is a good read, I'll check out the DVD tonight.

Some time later...

The DVD was great! Just half an hour, but Roothy hammered in having a WELL prepared vehicle - that doesn't have to be a tough truck, but everything in good repair and logical recovery, repair and spare gear. A good chat about many of the places we are going - and some we aren't, but then some needed a tough truck, or a helicopter!

I'll bring it to the next club meet if anyone wants to borrow it.

Dave

Hunno
24-07-11, 09:03 PM
Anyone planning on fishing up there?
Cheers
Glen

Hell Yer. September/ October is the build to the wet season (in normal years anyway) which means it Barra spwaning Season!!!!!

glend
27-07-11, 10:43 PM
Well in only 8 more weeks I will be in Qld. Hope everyone is getting organised. I watched that Ruthy DVD on the Cape and found it good value, he goes through each of the OTL crossings in some detail, talking about where the holes are, which side to use, etc it's one of the best things I have seen him do - just him sitting at a table in front of a fireplace with a Hema map and a beer.

As big Kev used to say - I'm excited!

For people that want to follow the road conditions, here is a website that lists the various roads on the Cape and their status:
http://www.cooktownandcapeyork.com/cook/roads

Cheers
Glen

Dave
28-07-11, 09:09 PM
Yep, after another 'hell' week at work (and it's only Thursday) I'm counting it down too. Unfortunately we have had one drop out - Eddy's passenger. Hopefully everyone else is still coming, and has done their bookings (still haven't heard from everyone). Ed called Peddells to organise his TI trip, and they are filling up fast!

Dave

kiwi kev
28-07-11, 10:35 PM
Ive booked Island ferry ,this Kev's ecited too ! sounds like we have enough cameras

Dave
28-07-11, 10:40 PM
Thanks Kev, I've heard from everyone except Hunty about the Island trips, but the only people that I know have booked and paid at Undara are JC, Ed and me. I know that you and Hunty are not planning on going to Undara, but everyone else?

Dave

Steve F
28-07-11, 11:26 PM
I called with no luck but will call again in business hours tomorrow to confirm the booking and pay :)

Cheers
Steve

glend
29-07-11, 10:33 AM
I ran across this video of some of the Myswag people on the CREB track just recently. It looks fairly dry and because of this it doesn't look to bad at all (abit like some of the Coffs hinterland tracks), but the bush is overhanging the track in many places (scratches). Some steeps, a few fairly tame creek crossings. The crossing of the Daintree River provides good info because it seems there is hole directly in the path if you drive straight across - they did a diversion to the right and came back to the exit. Might be some good info for the guys doing the CREB. Lions Den Hotel at the end.

Notice there is a list of other CREB videos posted in Utube on the right hand side of the screen next to the Utube window.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hdgtm-CeU8&feature=youtu.be

Cheers
Glen

Steve F
29-07-11, 10:51 AM
Yep, that first crossing was handy to know about. Looking at it if it stays dry like that I dont see any of our guys having problems with it :)

Cheers
Steve

Dave
29-07-11, 06:51 PM
That first crossing is the Daintree River! CREB was closed a couple of weeks ago - Steve posted - as the river was up, so we will take it as it comes! OTT is a bit like that, creeks generally not quite as large as the Daintree, similar size to other creeks on the vid, but the track will not be so good! Most of CREB looked recently graded!

Dave

Dave
29-07-11, 09:32 PM
We have had another change. James M is now going to travel with Eddy, so we are down to 8 vehicles and 12 people (one person less than Birdsville last year). I will ring around in a few weeks and make sure camp bookings are still okay with the slightly smaller number, in particular Seisia and Undara where we have camp shelters that may be number dependant. I really hope that there won't be any other drop outs!

I also spoke to Steven, Maggie and Reg's son, who is just back from the Cape. He had a great trip towing a camper trailer up with his family. No significant problems apart from damaged suspension to his trailer. He did say he saw a lot of other vehicles damage themselves, mainly by taking things too fast, and he emphasised "walk the creeks first" as there were some dings and even rollovers (everyone has seen the Nissan video in Gunshot) where people dropped off into holes etc... The roads were in pretty good condition, although some areas of bad corrugations right up North. He reckoned that on the main road there were some areas where they were limited to about 40kph, but many hundreds of kms were - well lets leave it at faster than allowed in NSW!

Darn I'm looking forward to getting going!!!

Dave

Hunty
30-07-11, 01:13 AM
Thanks Kev, I've heard from everyone except Hunty about the Island trips, but the only person that I know has booked and paid at Undara is um, well, me. I know that you and Hunty are not planning on going to Undara, but everyone else?

Dave

Hi Mate
Im on a remote shoot with virtually no phone access and limited internet + im shooting from sunrise til 9pm and don't have the ability to get back to civilisation during business hours - I sadly won't be back in Sydney until Aug 13Sat - so I don't think Ill be able to book Jax & I until monday 15th - - I hope I don't miss out? - Thanx heaps again Dave for all your awesome prep work! - cheers Hunty

Dave
30-07-11, 11:08 AM
Hi Mate
Im on a remote shoot with virtually no phone access and limited internet + im shooting from sunrise til 9pm and don't have the ability to get back to civilisation during business hours - I sadly won't be back in Sydney until Aug 13Sat - so I don't think Ill be able to book Jax & I until monday 15th - - I hope I don't miss out? - Thanx heaps again Dave for all your awesome prep work! - cheers Hunty

Hi Hunty,

I called Peddells this morning. They recommended that I pay at least the Ferry cost for the two of you as it is filling up. I have done this (reeeally not looking forward to my next credit card bill) so they now have 7 of the expected 10 bookings, we are getting there. I have forwarded the receipt to you by email. When you are back in range you will need to contact them and just pay for the tours, which are not filling up as fast. Now you will have to laugh at my bad jokes round the campfire!

I also spoke to Undara, they have now had bookings from 7 of us, out of the 8 (possibly 9) people that said they were going... Remember to quote GRI 10 10 so that they know you are part of the group.

Am I nagging too much?

Dave

Steve F
31-07-11, 01:32 PM
Undara called me back today and I've paid for the accomodation and booked for one of the tours, just went with the twilight tour as the 4 hour one is a bit long with Emmy.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
31-07-11, 01:43 PM
Hi Steve, thanks for that. I told them that you may have been interested in the shorter morning tour but that I was not making group decisions. I hope the sunset wildlife should be something spectacular! Then dinner at the restaurant.

Have you managed to contact Peddells? They were wondering how big our group was going to be, with the ferry filling up already - which is why I half sorted Hunty's trip.

Hope you are not just spending the weekend 'working' (I'm also procrastinating a lot)...

Dave

Steve F
31-07-11, 01:53 PM
I think we maybe skipping the Ferry trip, I think I mentioned before we might be giving it a miss, I'll book tomorrow if we do go ahead and let you know either way, at most we'll just go to TI.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
31-07-11, 02:15 PM
No worries Steve, I was only going off the numbers on the 'rego' forms from last month. I'm told that the shopping is better in TI than in Seisia, so that might influence the decision. If you do Horn Is as well there isn't really time to look at the TI shops.

Dave

jeepney
06-08-11, 11:37 AM
Dave, as I mentioned, I'm now confirmed at Undara but will not take the TI and HI tour. Like Glenn's idea, I might just go fishing and tour around Seisia. There must be a lot of photo enthusiasts in our group. With me as passenger of Eddy, I will have more time to take shots and enjoy the views. I'm ordering the Panasonic Lumix FZ40 camera instead of the TI and HI tour. Getting excited. 7 more weeks before take off!

glend
06-08-11, 12:53 PM
Right James, as we found out on last year's trip on the lay day in Bridsville, it's nice to have a day off to do the laundry - just get to the machines early and have plenty of change ($).

Dave
06-08-11, 03:31 PM
All good James, I think everything is coming together well now, I think everyone has booked everything that they plan to, and I bought my new camera today! (I think I might have some very disappointed relatives come Christmas when I can't afford pressies for them).

One thing that works better up North re laundry, is that it is hot! Don't need tumble driers (long wait at Birdsville last year). Got a good setup at Seisia and Weipa where we will have time, and it only takes an hour to dry stuff on the line.

Yep, six weeks until heading to Qld! Am really starting to get restless at work!

Dave

Steve F
07-08-11, 10:51 PM
Where did you guys get a water blind from and do they come in different sizes? I was thinking of just using a tarp but if the water blind isn;t too expensive then I might just go with that for the convenience.

Cheers
Steve

glend
07-08-11, 11:11 PM
I think Dave has the MSA Water bra. I have a Poly tarp, but with the junk on my front bar (particularly the UHF antenna) it doesn't fit around too well so I'm not to sure how much help its going to be. I prefer the tarp as it can be used for other things. With your height Steve, if you need one, then the rest of us will be swimming!

I ran across a discussion on the explorOz forum on the debate about water bras:

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/46343/Water_Crossing_Bra.aspx

I think another important question is does everyone have a snorkel?

Cheers
Glen

Dave
08-08-11, 12:16 PM
Where did you guys get a water blind from and do they come in different sizes? I was thinking of just using a tarp but if the water blind isn;t too expensive then I might just go with that for the convenience.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Guys,

Yes, I have the Michelles Sacks (MSA) water bra. It is fully elasticised to fit around the front of your vehicle with straps to the wing mirrors to hold it in place. They are one size fits all. The elastic does allow it to stretch around the UHF antenna, but that does leave a 'hole' where it doesn't meet the bonnet. I got it from ARB a year or two ago - before I got my snork - at a club meet at Wenty (discount). I think it cost about $100, but it may have been more. ($149 on their website http://www.msa4x4.com.au/Products/WaterBra.asp)

I guess they are really for 'extra' insurance when crossing deep water. If anyone does not have a snorkel (and I think only JC may not) they are the last resort. Hopefully we won't find anything too deep in late Sept!

The other thing they are good for is reducing the chance of a plastic fan bending forward and scouring the back of the radiator - if you over rev / speed in deep water obviously the fan 'pulls' forwards... I have seen it happen.

Note, I have never had to use mine, but will have it with me. If not everyone has one, and we need to use, then it can be lent around. The beauty of the 'fitted' ones over tarps is they are fast to fit and remove.

Dave

Dave
10-08-11, 12:04 PM
One (possible) positive from all the economic turmoil of the last week or so. Oil is down, the $Aus is still stronger than the $US, and this morning the news predicted fuel prices to fall. Here's hoping!

Six weeks from now we'll be half way to Cairns!

Dave

glend
10-08-11, 04:31 PM
Folks I have to drop out of the Cape Trip for personal reasons. I wish all of you a fantastic time up there and will be looking forward to the photos/videos and trip report. I hope that I can go on whatever big trip is planned for 2012.

Cheers
Glen

Dave
10-08-11, 08:25 PM
Very sorry to hear that Glen :(.

With Jambo on next October, I hadn't put much thought to a tour / trip in 2012. Any ideas for maybe a shorter one, maybe a week or so Easter-ish? Western NSW / Mungo / Menindee / Corner Country? Or perhaps Western Vic - Big and Little Deserts? Or I guess if anyone knows the area, Vic Highlands for a week in January? You might have a chance to get others thinking in Oct.

After that bad news, there were a couple of people who asked about the Cape Trip at last weeks club meeting. As I have definately 'overbooked' is there any other interest?

Dave

Hunno
10-08-11, 09:12 PM
Very sorry to hear that Glen :(.

With Jambo on next October, I hadn't put much thought to a tour / trip in 2012. Any ideas for maybe a shorter one, maybe a week or so Easter-ish? Western NSW / Mungo / Menindee / Corner Country? Or perhaps Western Vic - Big and Little Deserts? Or I guess if anyone knows the area, Vic Highlands for a week in January? You might have a chance to get others thinking in Oct.

After that bad news, there were a couple of people who asked about the Cape Trip at last weeks club meeting. As I have definately 'overbooked' is there any other interest?

Dave

Sorry to hear as well, maybe next time Glen.
I haven't overlooked it just decided for me anyway, Jambo would take preference for 2012.
However, 2013 I was thinking about Tassie. Since I made friends with a couple Tassie Jeepers last Jambo & who are coming up for ours. I would get them involved with running the tour.

Steve F
10-08-11, 09:33 PM
Folks I have to drop out of the Cape Trip for personal reasons. I wish all of you a fantastic time up there and will be looking forward to the photos/videos and trip report. I hope that I can go on whatever big trip is planned for 2012.

Cheers
Glen

Sorry you cant make it Glen, hopefully you get everything sorted out and can get back on with treking around the country side :)

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
15-08-11, 07:25 PM
Hi Fellow Jeepers Capers

Just a couple of planning questions;

Is anyone taking a bottle Jack?
&
Who is NOT planning on bringing a fire extinguisher? (and do you have good 4x4 insurance? LoL) I just need to know what to do in case of fire - I will be packing the marshmellows LoL

Dave
15-08-11, 08:09 PM
Hi Hunty,

I have a bottle jack and a plastic plate for a Hi Lift that goes under it. They both come with me, as do my marshmellows and Fire Extinguisher in case the marshmellows start to burn!

Another question I asked a while back, would anyone mind if I ran off copies of all attendees mobile numbers and Emergency Contacts, for all attendees, in case of...?

Thanks,
Dave

Hunty
15-08-11, 08:24 PM
Hi Hunty,

I have a bottle jack and a plastic plate for a Hi Lift that goes under it. They both come with me, as do my marshmellows and Fire Extinguisher in case the marshmellows start to burn!

Another question I asked a while back, would anyone mind if I ran off copies of all attendees mobile numbers and Emergency Contacts, for all attendees, in case of...?

Thanks,
Dave

Excellent Dave - it would be good for us all to carry this info especially if there are any extraordinary events.

I'm glad and grateful that you carry a bottle jack, I leant mine to a mate who is now in England -D'oh - I like to have a bottle jack around on a big trip for many Mcguiver reasons.

I raised the Fire extinguisher issue to hopefully inspire everyone to pack one. I was on a trip where one of the 4by's caught fire..... started out as a small electrical fire, and by the time I doubled back around to try and help with the situation the cruiser was already totally burnt out! and to my amazement one of the other guys (a close friend at the time) who was first on the scene, apparently when it was just smoke coming out from under the bonnet was just standing there watching the inferno, I took him to one side and said "Maaaaate I thought you carried a fire extinguisher in your 4x4?" he replied "yep I do" - I looked puzzled ........... he said "If used it to put this fire out and then my pootrol caught fire ............. you get the gist of the conversation. he wasnt planning to use his extinguisher on any other vehicle! - "Can of Worms" LoL
cheers Hunty

Dave
15-08-11, 08:30 PM
I can't believe that I left Fire Extinguisher off the spares list on the itinerary - but I did! I really can't believe that Glen left it off his much more comprehensive list on page 6, but...

Thanks for the reminder Hunty! Especially for petrol JK's heading near beaches LOL.

Dave

jeepney
15-08-11, 09:37 PM
I'm culpable too that I didn't bring this item out considering I'm in this business - sales, service, installation of fire extinguishers with Chubb Fire & Security.

Steve F
15-08-11, 10:08 PM
Funny I've been thinking about this for a week or two now, trying to decide if I should get two 1kg extinguishers or one 2.5kg. I'm thinking two smaller ones and mount one at the base of the drivers seat, bolted down so it wont get near the pedals in an emergency stop, and one at the passengers feet or possibly in the back somewhere accessible. My reasoning being I can grab one straight away and get started while the second is grabbed. A 2.5lt would have to be mounted in the back somewhere due to its size. I'll also be taking a fire blanket as an additional precaution.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
16-08-11, 01:29 PM
How close is everyone to being ready? I know Hunno has a bit to do ;)

I've just booked my XJ in for a rear pinion seal replacement and I need to do the rear main seal (probably, need to confirm if the rocker cover gasket replacement fixed the leak or not) as well as weld some brackets on to the roofrack for the awning, then there is all the usual maintenance, I also have a slow leak in my spare so need to take that off the rim and clean the beads etc. Slowly getting there should just be done in time :)

Cheers
Steve

AJ
16-08-11, 02:40 PM
Funny I've been thinking about this for a week or two now, trying to decide if I should get two 1kg extinguishers or one 2.5kg. I'm thinking two smaller ones and mount one at the base of the drivers seat, bolted down so it wont get near the pedals in an emergency stop, and one at the passengers feet or possibly in the back somewhere accessible. My reasoning being I can grab one straight away and get started while the second is grabbed. A 2.5lt would have to be mounted in the back somewhere due to its size. I'll also be taking a fire blanket as an additional precaution.

Cheers
Steve

Plus if one fails or loses pressure you will still have a backup ;)

Hunty
16-08-11, 08:08 PM
Just got my new uhf arial $13 of ebay - which I will mount as high as possible for the cape trip - probably put it on my top Halelujah lights bracket - I love being able to talk to the entire convoy especially when we all space out 500meters or so - to keep dust at a minimum.

Still need to figure out what to do with spare fuel and water
time to reinstall my 1500w inverter - gotta power the cappuccino machine and microwave somehow.
gotta refit the rooftop tent and bar work
got some great new led camping lighting (off ebay) to install
need to figure out how to carry 1 or 2 spare tyres - skins only - in addition to my regular spare.

heres a laugh for you guyz
I just went to Wooders Garage and Colin talked me into buying another spare serp / drive belt - which means I will be carrying 2 spare drive belts - this brings my smugness levels to a new high LoL - actually Colin then said just after I bought it that with my luck I will have 2 spare drive belts and Ill probably end up needing a spare pully or tensioner / idler LoL
I am trying to find a supplier to sell me windscreen stone guard - or I may just stretch a piece of chicken wire across the front of my heap.
I am going to install an intercom system with aviation headsets & wire it up to my CB so I can here the rest of you over the noise of the corrugations and my soft top.
lastly - i need to make 10,000km's worth of mix tapes

Dave
16-08-11, 10:37 PM
Mix tapes!!!??? 16 Gig of music on a thumbdrive in the glove box does for me!

How many tyres are you looking at Hunty? Sounds like 7? 6 total should be plenty, and for Steve (like Ivan last year on 37's) it is really only possible to carry 1 spare. Hopefully any flats can be dealt with using plugs, and hopefully we won't need any of those... With your tyrepliers and a spare innertube or two you could probably get away with the one spare too?

Good radio comms is essential, haven't decided if I'll bring the 6 dB antenna or just go with the standard 4 dB. Used the 6 last year and got good range, easily over 5km when we spread out, although my 5 watt hand held plugged into the fixed antenna can't out punch a built in radio. Made it a bit harder to call out approaching traffic (so people could slow and pull left) when there was a lot of chat... No broken windscreens though! Make sure your aerial is good and flexi if mounted that high, we will be driving under plenty of trees, and probably the odd shopping centre and servo roof!

Are you pulling out your rear seats? Rear footwells are great low down spots for storing fuel and water, and without your seats you should have plenty of space. I believe JK seats are 4 or 5 bolts and out. Ed is removing his and building a false floor for storage above and below.

All I need is a good service in a couple of weeks, otherwise (fingers crossed) I'm ready to go. Going to buy the perishables and heavy supplies eg water, in Cairns. Less to contribute to fuel waste on the 2500kms or so from here to there.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!

Dave

Hunno
16-08-11, 10:58 PM
Still got my A swinging in the breeze. LOL
I'm going either in a Jeep on the BMW.

Hunty
17-08-11, 12:45 AM
Maaaaaaaaaate (Dave)
im happy to report my rear seats come out with the touch of lever - i have rear draws that i will put back in for touring, that utilize all my rear seat space.
Ive been to the cape a couple of times in my pootrol days and have seen mates shred many tyres on the trip - thats why im thinking about taking a couple of skins in addition to my rear spare.
my reference to mix tapes was an old skool joke - i guess I mean that I will have to create a few cape road trip Playlists LoL , still scratching my noodle on where to house the spare water an fuel - will probably mount a water tank in the form of some white poly pipe up under my Roof top tent....
I think I will take your advice tomorrow and relocate my new antenna from my light bar back down to my roo bar - thanx mate for the reality check LoL

Im booked into Langs diff's next Monday to have my diff oil inspected and replaced and then closer to departure Ill get a factory service - i need to do this to keep my extended warranty - thankfully I am on a fixed price service deal with Jeep artarmon.
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-5.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-4.jpg

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-1.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-11.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-10.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-9.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-8.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/Huntys%20Jeep%20JK/file-7.jpg

Hunno
17-08-11, 08:58 AM
will probably mount a water tank in the form of some white poly pipe up under my Roof top tent....

More weight Up that High??? make sure you baffel it then. Thats a slide hammer

Dave
17-08-11, 03:02 PM
Hi Hunty,

Might just be a photo illusion, but it still looks like your rear footwells are empty, or do the front seats totally fill them? The subby might be filling one side, but it looks like you ought to be able to slot a couple of shorter jerries - couple of 10 litres? - down there, either water or fuel? Would be a good spot for them if they fit... A bladder for water or fuel is another (more expensive) option for cramped spaces.

Oh and "im happy to report my rear seats come out with the touch of lever". Now I'm really jealous! Earlier I made Star Trek references, now you have "Bond" style ejector seats in the rear!! Aaaawesome!!!

Dave

Hunty
17-08-11, 10:22 PM
My Fuel filter funnel just arrived - got it delivered for $25 (Ebay) - thanx heaps Dave for the great idea / initiative - I know I will be very grateful when we start filling up with dodgy fuel way up north!

Did I mention that "IM EXCITED"

Steve F
17-08-11, 10:30 PM
I got my front brake pads yesterday (running BA Falcon/Territory disks and calipers up front as they are 300mm and twin spot calipers), bought some shoes for the rear drums from Wooders today and am waiting on my pair of 1kg fire extinguishers and fire blanket to show up :) I'm excited too :) Shoould have a few jobs to do on the weekend.

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
17-08-11, 11:14 PM
I got my front brake pads yesterday (running BA Falcon/Territory disks and calipers up front as they are 300mm and twin spot calipers), bought some shoes for the rear drums from Wooders today and am waiting on my pair of 1kg fire extinguishers and fire blanket to show up :) I'm excited too :) Shoould have a few jobs to do on the weekend.

Cheers
Steve

Good stuff Steve - im Luvin the 2 spot cals - and I was smug with my fire extinguisher and fire blanket - but if you are running 2 FE's and a blanket i will need to down grade from smug to boy scout ! LoL

kiwi kev
22-08-11, 03:24 PM
Guys, I regret to advise, I will have to pull out.I will have to be around the business due to the current volitile market conditions , timing is now not right and I cant afford to not be around here.
Things have changed very quickly and it would be bad form for me to take a month off now. Things were going so smoothly .
Sorry, Im very disapponted and fustrated, but not much I can do.Dave, if I owe you any $$ for any bookings, let me know by email and I will pay you immediately so you are not out of pocket.
Can I shout anyone my Thursday Island booking ? , apologies, Kev

Steve F
22-08-11, 03:34 PM
Guys, I regret to advise, I will have to pull out.I will have to be around the business due to the current volitile market conditions , timing is now not right and I cant afford to not be around here.
Things have changed very quickly and it would be bad form for me to take a month off now. Things were going so smoothly .
Sorry, Im very disapponted and fustrated, but not much I can do.Dave, if I owe you any $$ for any bookings, let me know by email and I will pay you immediately so you are not out of pocket.

Its a shame you cant make it, maybe the next big trip?

I've sent you a PM about the island tour as we still haven't booked it yet but need to decide in the next day or so.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
22-08-11, 04:12 PM

Yes, I'm very sorry to hear this too. Our group has shrunk considerably...

James M had decided not to do the Island tour, but he may like to as I'm not sure how many people are going to 'hang' on the mainland now, without Glen etc. I'll give him a bell this evening just in case he hasn't seen your post.

No money owing, I hope you are able to 'recoup' any other payments that you have already made.

Dave

kiwi kev
22-08-11, 05:51 PM
Dave, Im disapponted and you have put in so much work also , I run a small/medium size business so need to support the team during this time, me going off for the month now is not a good message . Thanks Julia !!!

Dave
22-08-11, 08:19 PM
It is a real disappointment. Big trips like this are hard to organise for most. I'm really lucky getting a school teachers salary and being able to take time off! I totally understand where you are coming from. A few of us originally planned a Simpson Desert Trip for 2009, but we put it off to 2010 because of the GFC. Now we have the sequal.

I fully intend to continue organising / participating in longer tours, hopefully with the club. As I suggested earlier when Glen had to pull out, maybe a week away next year Easterish before Jambo, definately something in 2013... I may have to get a new Jeep by then! Any suggestions - to be thought about later!

Best wishes in these 'shaky' times.

Dave

Steve F
22-08-11, 08:32 PM
Yep, the cost can be tough as well as the time, Its costing us $600 just to put the cats in a cattery for a month. I'm just glad the trip is after tax time :) Easter next year I'll be at Coffs doing some final pimping of the Jambo :)

Cheers
Steve

Hunty
23-08-11, 12:45 AM
Sorry to hear your out mate!

Hey Dave - any chance you could post up a current list of Capers?
cheers Hunty

Dave
23-08-11, 09:42 AM
List of Cape Trippers moved to page 25.

Dave

Steve F
23-08-11, 02:21 PM
Hmmmm, maybe we can all do the CREB with just 6 vehicles. Cant wait for the trip now :)

Can we get an equipment list together of what we have/plan to take and maybe each bring our lists to the next club meeting. With 3 in my XJ I'd like to cull as much of the duplicate stuff as possible and I'm guessing Hunty with a shorty and 2 people is probably the same :)

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
23-08-11, 03:03 PM
Have been looking at options as I didn't think I'd finish in time & Still not sure I will.LOL. Decided today that it's make or break finishing the ZJ.

reyzor
23-08-11, 03:51 PM
hunno do you need a hand doing anything? im nto sure where you live, but im sure i could spare a night or 2 this week to help you prep, swing spanners, and drink your beer?

Steve F
23-08-11, 03:59 PM
Have been looking at options as I didn't think I'd finish in time & Still not sure I will.LOL. Decided today that it's make or break finishing the ZJ.

Chuck up a list of what's left, no doubt it's long but hey we may be able to get a few guys together to help?

Cheers
Steve

Dave
23-08-11, 05:11 PM
Hmmmm, maybe we can all do the CREB with just 6 vehicles. Cant wait for the trip now :)

Can we get an equipment list together of what we have/plan to take and maybe each bring our lists to the next club meeting. With 3 in my XJ I'd like to cull as much of the duplicate stuff as possible and I'm guessing Hunty with a shorty and 2 people is probably the same :)

Cheers
Steve

CREB for all might depend on how adventurous John and I are feeling. Hopefully Hunno will be in a Jeep, otherwise a bike??? Could be interesting on ruts and greasy clay...

I'd still recommend that people carry own tools, spares, basic recovery etc as appropriate for own cars in own cars. We might consider not duplicating 'optional' gear eg maxtracs, tyre pliers, car bra... We should discuss this in two weeks. Extra fuel etc sounds like it may be an issue for some, we may be able to find a bit of room in (I can't believe I'm saying this) the larger Jeeps like mine ha ha! (Anyone with an extended tank - ie 100 litres or more - should not need extra fuel)
Dave

Hunno
23-08-11, 11:10 PM
Thanks All for the offer. Heading to Wooders to get a list happening in the morning. Will let you all know then.

khalak
24-08-11, 11:42 AM
2 things...

1. Steve, you can pay me $600 and I will look after your cats for a month :)

2. Hunno, lemme know if you need a hand, I am sure I can make some spare time to come and help do something.

Garry Winter
24-08-11, 12:33 PM
Hi
I still think 3 days to Cairns is good going
Garry

Steve F
24-08-11, 12:42 PM
Hi
I still think 3 days to Cairns is good going
Garry

3 days is pretty easy now, I did it in 2.5 days (daylight driving only) around 7 years ago and there's lots more freeway today.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
26-08-11, 07:54 PM
I may have picked up another taker to 'tag along' with us to the Cape. A friend of mine from work and his wife, driving a Disco 4. He is working out some logistics as his wife may have to fly home early from Horn Island, so its a strong maybe at the moment. They are right into distance touring at the moment having been out to Broome across the Tanami, and up the Gibb earlier this year. They are great people, and we will have a nice shiny new Landy to practice on :D

As I said, only a maybe at the moment, but I hope no one minds.

Dave

Dave
29-08-11, 10:08 AM
My friend Renato from work is a definite! He is booking flights - a tricky one as they do not perfectly match the ferry timetable between Seisia and Horn, he may have to stay an extra day in Seisia and catch us in Weipa on the way back South. I believe that his brother John will 'co drive' on the way North, and his wife - another Maggie - on the way South, so not quite what I said above, but I may have it backwards.

He is very keen to do CREB! And he will be bringing his camper trailer - but it is a full-on off road trailer which has apparently seen a lot of action, and he is dragging it with his Disco and his fuel so...

Three weeks TODAY and I'm heading North!

Dave

Steve F
01-09-11, 11:01 AM
If anyone is after an inverter I dropped in to ALDI today as they have them on the Thursday special, $59.99. Its 600W with 1200W peak, two plugs on it and a USB charging connection. I saw Wooders at our daycare drop off and was telling him about them and then who do I see at ALDI heading for the inverters ;)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
01-09-11, 11:05 AM
My friend Renato from work is a definite! He is booking flights - a tricky one as they do not perfectly match the ferry timetable between Seisia and Horn, he may have to stay an extra day in Seisia and catch us in Weipa on the way back South. I believe that his brother John will 'co drive' on the way North, and his wife - another Maggie - on the way South, so not quite what I said above, but I may have it backwards.

He is very keen to do CREB! And he will be bringing his camper trailer - but it is a full-on off road trailer which has apparently seen a lot of action, and he is dragging it with his Disco and his fuel so...

I have updated the attendees list on Pages 1 and 22.

Three weeks TODAY and I'm heading North!

Dave

Does he run a winch? No problem with him coming along, or dragging a trailer, as long as he has the recovery gear he needs to get himself and the trailer out of trouble if need be :) Just hopeing if we do the creb we wont be winching the disco with trailer too much, big difference to recovering a vehicle by itself :) In saying that he'll probably get through with no issues at all now :)

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
01-09-11, 11:24 AM
Finally got some cash aside and booked the finally booking, 1 more ticket for the TI/Horn island tour, that's 7 of us according to the lady on the phone.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
01-09-11, 12:33 PM
Finally got some cash aside and booked the finally booking, 1 more ticket for the TI/Horn island tour, that's 7 of us according to the lady on the phone.

Cheers
Steve

That's great Steve, I will go and check if Renato has a winch, and ask if he has booked his tickets, 7 does not sound like the full complement yet!

If CREB is even slightly 'dodgy' I'm more likely to take Bloomfield. And to suggest anyone without MT's to do the same. A friend who has done it before has made it clear that any moisture will stop cars that don't have serious grip! A number of slopes are pure clay...

Checked, he does have a winch, but has also been warned by a friend that just got back from the Cape about CREB and trailers, ie don't do it - so it will be an easy call as we get there. He is booking ferry tickets this afternoon!

Come to think of it, 7 really isn't enough, has Hunty booked his tours yet? We should have 10 adults one child???

Thanks for the heads up!!

Dave

Steve F
01-09-11, 04:20 PM
She said 7 was Ok but was hopeing there would be some more on the tour as the guys on Horn Island dont normally do thier talk/show in the off season but are doing it especially for us. She did seem OK with it, actually it is 8 including Emily.

Cheers
Steve

Dave
01-09-11, 06:00 PM
Thanks Steve. Texted Hunty the number (who would be a trip organiser?) and he is phoning them right now. So we should be up to 10 adults and Em, which was what the lady was hoping for way back in July when I first enquired.

Can we go now?

Dave

Hunno
01-09-11, 09:50 PM
Can we go now?

Dave

NO, not yet. Need every second to make it.

stevet
02-09-11, 01:02 AM
Very soon allowed, go please....:)...... Getting "greener" every day for some reason..:'(.....:)...... Hope it's all goes cool along the way..........:)....
Hurry up Hunno, I want to see your ZJ before you leave......:p..........:)....

SteveC
03-09-11, 09:38 AM
Im very jealous guys. Please "don't" send pictures!!!

Hunty
03-09-11, 10:35 AM
Thanks Steve. Texted Hunty the number (who would be a trip organiser?) and he is phoning them right now. So we should be up to 10 adults and Em, which was what the lady was hoping for way back in July when I first enquired.

Can we go now?

Dave

Thankyou sooooooo much Dave for making it too easy! - I called em up yesterday and said "I want what he's (Dave) having - gave her my credit card number & Jax and I are now good to go!
thanx again Dave for all the awesome prep work you have done for us Capers.
cheers Hunty

Dave
03-09-11, 12:37 PM
Excellent news Hunty! Glad everything has worked. As long as Hunno has the car back in one piece and running, it sounds like we are all just about ready! Got the KJ serviced on Tuesday, plus all chassis bolts, suspension bolts, hoses and belts inspected and /or tightened and eveything that can be - lubed. Now off to the shops to pick up some supplies. Last thing to do is re-work out my packing system with spare wheel in the car instead of on the roof.

TWO WEEKS!!!!

Dave

Miraz
03-09-11, 10:34 PM
Just crunching the logistics to work out if we can make it along also..

Steve F
04-09-11, 04:37 PM
Cool, sounds like we still have room for more :) Wife and daughter coming? Em (my daughter) would enjoy the company of another kid

Cheers
Steve

Steve F
04-09-11, 05:04 PM
I'm almost ready, two weeks of work (12 days until I pack) and then we are off :) Leaving on the Monday evening now so should easily get to Cairns by Friday lunchtime :)

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/Jeep%20on%2035s/IMG_0789_nonum.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Miraz
04-09-11, 05:29 PM
Cool, sounds like we still have room for more :) Wife and daughter coming? Em (my daughter) would enjoy the company of another kid

Likely to be just myself and Beth (3 year old) - it's a bit of a stretch for a 3 month old, although they may fly up to Cairns for some of it.

Suspect I'll be using the wife's car though...it's reasonably well setup as a touring vehicle, shouldn't take more than a couple of days to set it up for the run north.

Steve F
04-09-11, 05:33 PM
Emily is three in a couple of months so it might be easier on them both to have someone to play with or watch DVD's with, yep, it's a stretch for a 3 yrd old let alone a 3 month old ;)

Cheers
Steve

Miraz
04-09-11, 05:57 PM
On the verge of ordering a 10" drop down screen for the back seat - initial plan has us leaving on Wednesday, making it into Cairns on Fri evening....but there are a few logistical hassles to work through...

Dave
04-09-11, 06:17 PM
Okay - wow things have changed since yesterday! Miraz if you and daughter Beth? are definitely coming, could you email back the Rego Form I sent you and I will add your details to my lists. I don't think I need to organise more camping (yet) but we are just about back up to the 'definite' numbers we had in July...

I also emailed you the details of the Caravan Park we are all staying / meeting at in Cairns, the details of the Peddells Ferry Tours that you need to book and pay for in adavance (if you want to go you need to do this ASAP as the Ferry does get booked out) and the details of Undara National Park Camping and Tours that we also need to book and pay for in advance.

Whew, last minute stuff! Will be at the AGM on Wednesday to discuss any other last minute stuff. Do you realise that three weeks from right about now we should be enjoyong a cold one at the Lions Den Hotel? (that's if the CREB track doesn't stop us :))

Dave

Miraz
04-09-11, 09:29 PM
I'll sort out the confirmation and paperwork tomorrow....

Most likely is that I'll be in the Pajero which has a few useful touring mods:-
- 120 liters of water storage under the floor
- 150 liters of diesel storage (1500km range)
- Dual battery setup
- Twin Wheel Carrier
- 60 liter fridge
- Winch/lockers

I'll throw a roof top tent on the top, upgrade the entertainment system, give it a service and it should be good to go.

Dave
04-09-11, 09:37 PM
Hooley Dooley you weren't kidding, what a touring machine! You won't need any extra fuel or water, and there might be a couple of people asking you if you have a spare corner for some of their gear!

Dave

Steve F
04-09-11, 09:40 PM
I'll sort out the confirmation and paperwork tomorrow....

Most likely is that I'll be in the Pajero which has a few useful touring mods:-
- 120 liters of water storage under the floor
- 150 liters of diesel storage (1500km range)
- Dual battery setup
- Twin Wheel Carrier
- 60 liter fridge
- Winch/lockers

I'll throw a roof top tent on the top, upgrade the entertainment system, give it a service and it should be good to go.

37's and a 10 bolt ;)

Cheers
Steve

Miraz
04-09-11, 10:27 PM
Lol - independent suspension at both ends..33" muddies. :-)

Steve F
05-09-11, 08:11 PM
Quick question Dave, how many days straight do we need to be self sufficient for food wise. Just dont want to take too much when we can top up with fresh fruit and veg etc instead of tinned :)

Cheers
Steve

glend
05-09-11, 11:14 PM
Steve, I am sure Dave will have lots of info but this might help, I did some research on this earlier this year and ran across this rather old run down of the shopping and what's available on the Cape from the ExploreOz website:

http://www.exploroz.com/Forum/Topic/47425/Buying_Food_in_Cape_York.aspx

Dave
05-09-11, 11:28 PM
Good post Glen, thanks, pretty much agrees with my info - The answer is, not many! Can buy meals most places. I will focus mainly on dinners below;

Northbound; dinner available at Lions Den Hotel (if you want), Fish n Chips in Cooktown. Own cooking in Lakefield NP, must have an Archer burger at Archer River Roadhouse. Own cooking on the OTT and at Jardine River - so that's 3 nights with no resupply and no other options between Cairns and Seisia - Lakefield, OTT and Jardine. If you do not want to eat out its six nights with no resupply.

Can resupply at Seisia, and will probably make most meals (4 nights) there (was not a lot of other available in '08 anyway).

Southbound; can buy a burger or pie for dinner at Bramwell Junction. Not sure about Weipa, can resupply there and there are clubs etc... Repeat the Archer burger at Archer River. Can eat at the pub in Lakeland. There is a restaurant (I have booked) for the second night at Undara. May want to cook own meal there on arrival - up to you.

So, dinners for at least three days with no resupply, and honestly I would double that in case of... I will make most of my own breakfasts and some lunches (we will stop at some roadhouses at lunch times).

That means I will carry at least six nights of dinners, with ability to resupply at Seisia and Weipa. I will carry plenty of 'snack' lunches, and a big box of Weetbix for brekkies! Lots of drinks and other 'on the road' snacks (ie lollies but not chocolate which will melt)! We will stop for morning tea breaks, and most days should be 'in camp' for arvo tea.

Water seems to have been a topic lately. In the Itinerary I suggested 20 litres - and probably should have said per vehicle not per person (we can share if necessary). I will carry that, and resupply to that level when possible.

I am only taking powdered milk, and will only make it at need, so am not carrying UHT or other milk. A note on cardboard cartons (milk, juice etc) small ones are fine eg 250 ml Juice Poppers. Anything larger eg 1 litre UHT milk, the cartons do break down on rough roads, especially when in wire frames in fridges. The mass of the fluid bouncing around 'blows out' the seams over time.

A note on Fruit and Veg. We will go through the Quarantine Station at Coen, 60km South of Archer River. It was abandoned both times I went through there in '08, but... I did a quick Google. Apparently it is fine to take fruit and veg North, but they may check your alcohol supplies (limits previously discussed). Coming South, no fruit or veg. We will stop at Coen and pick up info packs, and it is also a good fuel stop.

I hope that all makes sense:confused:

Dave

Dieselcon
06-09-11, 06:32 AM
I'm really excited for all you guys going on this trip. I wish my circumstances were different....I would have loved joining you guys on this epic trip! Please, where possible keep us posted with photos, vids and commentary. Will certainly be joining you on the next big SJC trip ;).

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-34.388446,150.876105

Dave
06-09-11, 09:24 AM
Updated list of Cape Trippers

Coming to the Cape in 2 weeks we have:

Eddy G and James M
Hunty and Jax
Steve F and family
Hunno
John C
Miraz and Beth
Glen D
Dave (me)

And a friend of mine from work Renato and his brother John from Cairns to Seisia, and swapping with his wife Maggie to return South, in a Disco 4!

So that’s now 9 vehicles and 15 people! We have had a couple of number juggles...

It's going to be an awesome trip! 9 vehicles is a great number, not too many in a convoy, and we will have a good number of people around the campsites to have a great time!

Thanks,
Dave