PDA

View Full Version : Rear Axle seal -TJ

driftdave
12-02-11, 07:43 PM
Guys

Anyone know where around Paramatta I can get the rear seal changed on the TJ.
Im going wheeling next weekend and really want it done.

How much does this usually cost?

Cheers
Dave

stevet
12-02-11, 08:35 PM
You could try John at J-Mac Diff & Gear in Arndell Park (Blacktown), Ph. No. - 9671-5800 -, if it's not to far out of your way. Cost?, Ask him but he is pretty good at both his work and prices and you can supply the parts if you have them already.............. Stephen T.

85cj7
13-02-11, 12:25 AM
By rear seal do you mean rear pinion seal or rear axle seal?

The pinion should be substantially cheaper b/c you just have to unbolt the drivehshaft, bust off the pinion yoke, remove the yolk, and pull the pinion seal, then replace.

The rear axle seal is a bit more in depth. If you have leaking fluid coming from your wheel (or drum backing plate) it is most likely the inner seal and not the outer. In a semi-floating axle (such as d-35s and d-44s found in the rear of TJs) the inner seal keeps the diff fluid in because the wheel bearing is a 'dry bearing'. The outer seal simply keeps contaminates out. Now if you have gear lube leaking from your backing plate, then replacing the outer seal could fix your problem. Is this ideally the right way to do it? Well, no, but we all do what we have to. Now in a full floating axle the the wheel bearing is in fact lubricated by the gear lube in the pumpkin so there is in fact no inner seal. Well, in you case, the axle shaft will need to be pulled on that side and the wheel bearing pressed off along with the axle seal, both will need to be replaced. Even if the bearing is not bad to begin with by pressing it off it will be now be damaged. If the shop tells you otherwise then they are lying. So in short good luck on your repair, hope it is a cheap one.

Steve F
13-02-11, 12:26 AM
Axel seal or pinion seal? You can do the outer axle seal in your driveway in a couple of hours tops, I'm pretty sure the TJ D44 has no inner seal and the diff oil lubes the outer bearing as well. The hardest bit is smacking on the new bearing and bearing retainer, you need a good thick piece of pipe that slips over the axle and you can smak the end of that to push the bearing on and then the retainer. To get the retainer off you can drill it and they will typically split before you drill all the way through, you need to take care to make sure you dont drill all the way through to the axle though, the bearing can be removed by cutting with a dremel and then splitting it when you are most of the way through.

Oh, you have to replace the bearing and retainer as they need to come off to get the new seal on.

Cheers
Steve

Looks like we posted at the same time :)

Steve F
13-02-11, 12:35 AM
I think both the TJ D44 and XJ D35 have no inner seal only an outer, one of the reasons they both commonly pump oil out of the breather tube in the axle if the breather goes to far into the axle tube.

Cheers
Steve

85cj7
13-02-11, 12:48 AM
Correction. You are right with the TJs. However, Amc-20 rear ends in the cj series used a dry bearing with both inner and outer seals as well as dana 35 in the yj series 87-95 as well as XJ from 84-01. Also, all front axles of course came with inner seals to prevent the gear lube from leaking out the axle flange, then the knuckles were equipped with seals to prevent debris. My fault, it's late, brain fart.

Steve F
13-02-11, 01:12 AM
I'm still pretty sure the XJ D35 doesn't have an inner axle seal, at least not the ones we got here. I'm going to have to go and look some more now though but I'm pretty positive. No idea on the YJ's but I think your right and they did have an inner and outer seal.

Cheers
Steve

85cj7
13-02-11, 10:44 AM
XJ dana 35 part number 23 is the inner seal

Steve F
13-02-11, 10:53 AM
Ok, now I know the confusion, that pic is a non C-Clip axle, you can see the bearing retainer plate, we didn't get the non c-clip D35 here only the C-clip one, no inn3er axle seal on a c-clip D35. 23 in the pic is the axle seal for the bearing retainer kit, it's an inner. 21 is the only seal for a c-clip D35, the outer.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-axle-differential-parts/images/xj-dana-35-rear-axle.gif

Cheers
Steve

driftdave
13-02-11, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the replies Guys

Yeah Steve thats my understanding for changing the axle seal.
I was going to do it myself, I intended to buy a hydraulic press to push the bearing on.
But I have run out of time and just want it done now.

Know anyone around parramatta?

Cheers
Dave