PDA

View Full Version : Auto Transmission internal swap/rebuild

Hunno
18-03-11, 01:47 PM
Has any body pulled apart an auto transmission before?
I have 2 transmissions one has slugged up from being submerged last bog hole, the other is good but has damage the housing(thought about just having the damaged one tig welded but that will still leave stress damage in the cast)
Just wondering how hard would it be to do at home?

85cj7
18-03-11, 07:49 PM
To have that housing properly tigged you would still have to disassemble the case. There is NO way that you could get the housing clean enough to get a weld free of contaminants with all the internals still assembled. Not to mention that both sides of the material being welded needs to be cleaned and it would be impossible to clean the inside of the housing with all the internals installed. If you are talking about an ear broken off of the bellhousing or something like that, then yes, I guess it could be tigged up well enough with it assembled. Just ensure that it is crazy clean and properly prepped.

With that said, I helped a buddy swap all the internals from a turbo 400 with a cracked case into another case with bad internal (just like you are describing). It was not hard and took about 3 hrs. Just make sure to buy a good rebuilding guide with plenty of diagrams and do it one case at a time. Disassemble the busted trans (good case, bad internals) first to get a feeling for it. At that point if you think you are over your head then just stop and take it to a professional. You haven't done any damage and have prob. made it a bit cheaper for yourself because now you have a nice clean empty case for the mechanic to work with. If you feel good about it then disassemble the bad case, good internals and follow all the re-install directions. Pretty simple, just a series of clutches and ball specific fluid passages. The parts are not complicated but can be kinda tricky for placement, just be methodical and you should be alright. Good luck.

Steve F
18-03-11, 08:38 PM
I think the housing that is cracked is just the bellhousing, although it is all one piece so cant be swapped. Might not be so bad getting it tigged. Also, Hunno, I'll be around most of the time on Sunday if you want to come pick it up, or all week next week except Tuesday morning.

Cheers
Steve

Hunno
21-03-11, 09:25 PM
Drove the Jeep on Saturday as the beater won't start. In the pouring rain(so much it filled my 20,000L tank from dead empty in only 2.5hrs) for about 10kms. Got Back in the Jeep Sunday to get to work & it shocked the hell out of me as it changed in to Drive & O/D.

I'm thinking it must have been an Electrical fault & all that water has dissolved the crap out of where it was causing the problem.

Heidi
22-03-11, 10:50 PM
if you ever need parts we have a zj sitting in the drive way that is starting to annoy me LOL

Hunno
22-03-11, 11:11 PM
what wrong with it?

Hunno
23-03-11, 12:03 AM
.................................................. . Sorry doubled up on the post