PDA

View Full Version : What oil for my CRD 2.8 KJ

kris
21-03-11, 04:08 PM
Can anyone recommend me a oil I can buy in bulk? Caltex recommend a 5W-40 Havoline Synthetic which I can buy by the drum.

Im going to start servicing myself

glend
21-03-11, 04:18 PM
Well good on you, servicing (at least what you can) is a great way to save some money for mods! Re that oil, which I believe is this one:

http://www.havoline.com/images/products/pdfs/europe/synthetic_5W_40.pdf

it is a CF graded oil which is suitable for use in petrol vehicles but doesn't contain the best additive package for diesels (which for a KJ CRd would be a CH or CI (but not a CJ which is depleted additive package to protect particulate filters). While the owners manuals will state that a CF was the original spec, the grades have moved on from there over the years. Get a CH or CI if you can but mainly oil suppliers have moved to CJ because all new diesels have DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters). In order to protect the DPF they cut back on Zinc (which is an important antiwear additive). There used to be a very nice diesel specific oil made by Penrite (SIN Diesel) but they discontinued that and suggested that people go backwards to their semi-synthetic product (HPR Diesel 5 for example). I am still looking for a good CI grade oil but they don't seem to exist anymore, so, as I do, using a CF is OK because you will get a good additive package but it will not contain the soot suspension additives so you will need to change it more often than an extended interval diesel oil of CH or CI grade. Hope that's not to confusing.

kris
21-03-11, 04:23 PM
Thanks Glen!

So what i should buy is CI or CH oil if i stick to 10,000kms service or a CF if I do 5,000km services?

I guess ill call sommeone and see what I can obtain in 20litre drums

EDIT:

Caltexs heavy duty Oils for Diesels lists this oil:

Delo 400 LE (sold in drums)

PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS

• API CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CF/SM
• ACEA E9-08, E7-08, E5-02, E3-96.
• Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2
• DDC 93K218
• Volvo VDS-4
• JASO DH-2

Planned Approvals