PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a Scanguage at Wooders toninght - ESP dash lights

jbrad
06-04-11, 12:15 PM
Hey guys, during the last trip I did at Wattagans my ESP light (car with skid) and ESP/BAS light came on. After stopping at the Servo on the Freeway to air up fully it went off. A week later it came on again and has not gone off since - each start up both lights are on again. I can disable the ESP (car with skid) by pressing the on/off button near the Hazard light button but the ESP/BAS light stays on.

My question is: is there something that I need to check? And is it a "Scanguage" that is needed to check it. If so, does anyone have one who is coming to the meeting tonight at Wooders. Much appreciated if someone can help. See you all tonight. Jas

stevet
06-04-11, 01:08 PM
Wooder's may have a demo one there. There should be a few there though................................

Hunno
06-04-11, 01:24 PM
Yer no prob

Bear
06-04-11, 02:13 PM
When I had a similar problem the solution was a wheel alignment and resetting the steering sensor.

reyzor
06-04-11, 02:26 PM
ill be there with one if need be

jbrad
06-04-11, 03:34 PM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. Will see you all there tonight. Jas

jbrad
18-04-11, 11:09 PM
Update on the lights. After reading some other posts, I figured I could fix this problem. ESP light on as a result of a trail hit after wheeling and alignment is out. Recentre steering wheel, realign wheels, reset computer and no more ESP/BAS lights or skidding car picture in dash.
The tools I used were
1. 2 strips of angle aluminium
2. a tape measure
3. some string
4. 15 mm socket
5. jack and stands
Procedure - Jacked up front of jeep and supported on stands, tied strips of ali to both wheels (all pressures were at 40 psi). With the Ali extending past both edges of the wheels it gives an accurate (resonably so) place to take a measurement from. After this, it is just a case of adjust and then remeasure until front is the same as the rear of the tyres. I hope this is correct, as it used to work on R Series Mack trucks when I was driving them back in the early 90s. The end result is - no light on in the dash. Happy days again.

reyzor
19-04-11, 05:04 PM
is this for toe in or for centering your steering? im trying to piture it in my head as to how youve done it.... keep in mind once you jack the car up then you take all load off the suspension and steering components... but if its worked for you then go for it :)

i personally would still be getting a proper alignment done on it (just for my own piece of mind)

jbrad
19-04-11, 10:13 PM
Hi Reyzor, this really is just a quick fix. Jack stands went under the axle so that all weight was across the suspension as normal. The first part of what I did was centre the steering wheel this was the adjustable shaft attached to the bottom of the steering box and heads over to the passenger side front wheel assembly. This did little more than put the steering wheel at center when I am driving dead straight instead of slightly off to the right (since about the 20K mark). Then there is the next adjustable bar which attaches both wheel assemblies (and also has the steering damper clamp on it). This one adjusts the angle of the left wheel in relation to the right. I just lined them both up so that they were both pointing straight ahead. On the old trucks, we used to measure the tread blocks at the front of the tyre (at 3oclock on driver's side) against the measurement regestered on the rear of the tyre (at 9oclock on driver's side). If you had no tyres on you could do from rim to rim, but with tyres on I used some 90 deg angle aliminium strip. The position of the wheels when measured was more 8:30-2:30 because from the rear of the wheel you are using a tape measure under the vehicle and the transmission plate gets inthe way. If I could get pictures on here easily it would explain things better than I can articulate. I will be keeping a close eye on any excessive wear now that I have done this. It should present fairly quickly as I do 52 km a day in city traffic along Victoria Rd.

Almost forgot the accolades - Bear & Maggie suggested this may be a possible solution to my problem. So thanks guys it seems to be working a treat so far.

reyzor
20-04-11, 10:36 AM
happy days mate!

Wooders
21-04-11, 07:49 AM
BTW anytime you've like to plug in a ScanGauge you'd always be welcome to use the shop "Test" unit. ;D
Good to hear you've got it sorted.

SteveC
22-04-11, 08:23 AM
There is a free version of scantool 1.13 software which will connect nicely to your Jeep. Combined with a bluetooth (or hard wired) elm scan tool (about $20 fr ebay) , will allow you to monitor your jeep & other vehicles you may have and read/reset codes very easily.
The easiest and cost effective way