PDA

View Full Version : ZJ Diff Upgrading

Hunno
17-04-11, 08:39 PM
After the weekend's trip the final decision was made to upgrade the diff's on the ZJ.
So Wooders consider those diff's sold. Will call you Monday sometime.

Now this decision has been made I need to find someone that is very capable to do the work. Suggestions?
Also this would be a good time to make changes to the suspension. Currently I have RE 3.5" Superflex Kit with 4.5" springs. Ideas/ suggestions welcome.

Hunno

Steve F
17-04-11, 08:40 PM
What work do you need done, welding on brackets etc?

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
17-04-11, 08:55 PM
Got a range if ideas already for you.
Lucky - I was just beginning to think other evil thoughts for that vehicle....

Hunno
17-04-11, 09:00 PM
What work do you need done, welding on brackets etc?

Cheers
Steve

Yer thats the basics of it.
Since I'm going this far it's time for 35's also.

Steve F
17-04-11, 09:14 PM
I can help with the welding, or at least tack it together if you want to get a certified welder to do it for you. I just want to see it on 35's :)

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
17-04-11, 09:35 PM
I hope you are thinking cutting not lifting more?
Trusses & diff mounts don't really need ticketted welding - just a little care.
And the usual measure 3 times - no make that 4 - before burning it home.

Really the bit you want skilled welding for is if you are thinking longarms or bracing that requires welding to the body - getting thick stuff to stick to thin stuff thats not easily replaced is something you don't wanna screw up.

Hunno
17-04-11, 09:37 PM
Stock mounts are not going to do everything HD!!!

Steve F
17-04-11, 09:43 PM
Yep, agree with Wooders, I like welding diff mounts etc, thick stuff is easy and always looks good. Now if you want mounts welded to the body then you dont want me doing it ;) for a start my upside down welding is rubbish and the body will end up lighter and with lots of speed holes :)

Cheers
Steve

Wooders
17-04-11, 09:44 PM
Diffs are easy(ish) - nice Truss and incorporate HD Mounts.
Although for the rear it's worth considering triangulating and ditching the rear panhard.
For body end if you are keeping it short/mid arm, I was thinking of suggesting a set of chassis stiffeners then new HD mounts. etc....
Anyhow need to get back to work (gotta get back to fitting a SYE that needs to be finished tonight) so guess we'll chat tomorrow (call early I know it's going to be a busy day).

Hunno
17-04-11, 09:45 PM
I hope you are thinking cutting not lifting more?
Trusses & diff mounts don't really need ticketted welding - just a little care.
And the usual measure 3 times - no make that 4 - before burning it home.

Really the bit you want skilled welding for is if you are thinking longarms or bracing that requires welding to the body - getting thick stuff to stick to thin stuff thats not easily replaced is something you don't wanna screw up.

Yer, time to cut. There will be enough extra height with 35 's. After yesterday's trip height was not the issue.
Really had a blast, surprised myself & I Wolfe how easily I did it.
The real damage was done in 2wd coming out.
Which I've only just found this afternoon while disconnecting the front drive shaft.
As much concerned about excessive corrugations like it will see on the cape trip as rock crawling.

AussieCJ7
18-04-11, 07:31 AM
What diff's have you decided to go for ?

Hunno
18-04-11, 08:59 AM
Dana 44 Front & 60 Rear.