PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading GPS to PC based navigation system - help?

glend
25-04-11, 02:21 PM
Before the Cape Trip I am planning to upgrade my current GPS system: A Navman (Win CE) GPS hacked to run Oziexplorer as well as the standard Navman app.

I want to go to a tablet or larger (7 -10") format touch screen PC Win (or WinCE 6) based system with GPS onboard and Oziexplorer. I already have Oziexplorer on my home laptop and most of the Australian maps (thanks to SteveF).

What are the latest hardware platforms that will mount on a windscreen bracket?

SteveC
27-04-11, 10:14 AM
Funny you should ask.
I just purchased a 7" GPS unit which runs CE5. I wanted the larger screen as it gets harder to see as you get older like me... haha
It came with Igo Myway and Australia Street Maps. I also run Garmin topo (a bit flaky but does do autorouting which the other do not) and Polnav but looking for a good topo map thats reliable
As you can see, you can expand this to run any Windows CE5 compatible GPS program like Ozi. It comes with a mini SD cardslot 4GB or 8GB, so you can add heaps...
Cost me around $108 delivered but I've seen them cheaper....I also created a menu, that allows me to run the GPS program of my choice else you can jump straight o you preferred one
Naturally it's Chinese but for $100, it's not too bad. My only complaint is it's poor performance in bright light....

Steve F
27-04-11, 10:17 AM
What sort of money are you looking at spending, personally I'd stay away from CE for a PC or tablet based system as it's really just the standalone units that run those. My PC also downloads the pics off my camera to the hard drive and is used for a lot more than just navigation, once you go PC or Tablet based you'll find a lot more uses for it.

Cheers
Steve

glend
28-04-11, 12:49 PM
Thanks to the two Steves! The pricing differential between the full Win system and a CE unit were too big to ignore (for me). As I already run an older version of Win CE and have expereince with it, I have decided to go with a solution similiar to SteveC's. I bought a Chinese WinCE 6 system with an 8gb card and Aussie maps off ebay, and its on its way.

Specs: Music Player + Video Player + FM Transmitter + USB Drive + Text File Reader + Electronic Album + 8GB Card (With NEW Map) Ÿ 6.0" HD LCD Touch Screen (800x480 resolution) + Built-in Speaker + Built-in 1400MA Rechargeable Battery + SiRF Star IV GPS.

It runs an ARM compatible processor so I can still use my present version of OziexplorerCE. It was $110 with free shipping.

This one:

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/4/6/2/9/6/webimg/424585024_o.jpg?nc=27

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/2/4/6/2/9/6/webimg/424585064_o.jpg?nc=582

Thanks guys.

Cpage66
28-04-11, 04:54 PM
I'd like to see that thing when you get everything running Glenn. It looks pretty decent!