PDA

View Full Version : Tyre choice opinion

D.K.
26-04-11, 10:58 AM
I want to get some new tyres for the heep and would be grateful of opinions. Bear in mind the car is set up as a weekend warrior and it is a TJ, so noise levels are not an issue:D.
I guess i will need to stick with a radial construction as a bias tyre are not legal for road use (?), not to mention the tyre wear issue.

Im currently running 35" Cooper STT's which are a good general purpose muddy but more suited for touring duties. I usually have to deflate down to 12 psi or less to get a good tread length.

I have three tyres shortlisted:

1. BFG KM2's
2. Maxxis radial trepadores
3. Baja Claws (directional)

I would include MTZ's but im running these on the Pootrol and want something different.
I cant figure out Claws, the magazines seem to love them, and on the forums they seem to polarise opinions - I have heard they have poor lateral grip, which could be a worry on off-camber descents, but the self cleaning action is enticing.

Cheers

Dave K

stevet
26-04-11, 03:26 PM
Procomp MT's Extreme MT's or MT extremes (claw like construction)...............(have 3 MT style of tyres)
P.S. John is also the local distributer for Procomp's, A little more expensive but a great tyre................

AJ
26-04-11, 05:04 PM
I've been running Baja Claws on my TJ for ages now and they have worked really great in the stuff we get to wheel in around Sydney. The new Baja Claws should be even better considering the improvements they have made. They are noisy but mine is like yours and only used for wheeling so not really an issue ;)

As far as lateral grip, they've been sweet offroad BUT I have had it kick out sideways on roundabouts twice while driving on the road in heavy rain so would take care in that department allthough the new Claws do have more siping so should perform better in that department.

Cheers
AJ

Cpage66
26-04-11, 05:23 PM
This month's Four Wheeler magazine just tested 10 muddies in the 37" size and the Trepadors came in 10th out of 10. ProComps were 9th, KM2s were 8th...I look at these myself very subjectively and as part of my overall research, but good article nonetheless...

I WAS surprised to see who the winner was though.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/index.html

SteveC
27-04-11, 10:46 AM
This month's Four Wheeler magazine just tested 10 muddies in the 37" size and the Trepadors came in 10th out of 10. ProComps were 9th, KM2s were 8th...I look at these myself very subjectively and as part of my overall research, but good article nonetheless...

I WAS surprised to see who the winner was though.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/index.html

That's a good write up - thanks for that link..

D.K.
28-04-11, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Hey, Chris, I read that tyre comparo - unbelievable, they must have different mud out there in California. Although they did say they were surprised given that the accepted theory is a greater void ratio gives greater cleaning ability.

reyzor
28-04-11, 11:26 AM
keep in mind that these tire reviews are done by companies who have intrests in certain other companies.... ie, if 4wd action is running a tire comparo and cooper tires is paying tonnes for advertising, 4wd action would be mad to give them a bad wrap..... eveyone has their own agenda when it comes to these things......

Hunty
29-04-11, 02:26 AM
Absolute and total BS - who ever wrote the article got paid to - there is no way in hell that a Hankook Dynapro MT beat the industries 9 best tyres - come on USA Morons!
just look at the pathetic tread pattern on the Hancook - do you think the readers of your magazine are totally stupid!

Seriously ????????? Hancook is - better than Mickey Thompson claws and KM2's - in your dreams! moron Mag

Take a look at the tyre they have chosen first and last - its laughable = its an insult to our intelligence! - heres what I say to 4wheeler.com;
Hang your head in shame for such a blatant piece of cash for comment journalism I have ever seen in my life!

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/hanfuck.jpg
Look at the stupid thing - it is barely an all terain!
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/km2.jpg

The first tyre is the Hancook and the other is a KM2
The Fat Aussie bastard in training Cheers Hunty

Maggie
29-04-11, 09:55 AM
Now tell us what you really think Hunty.

Maggie.

Hunty
29-04-11, 10:39 AM
Now tell us what you really think Hunty.

Maggie.

Stil LMAO
I guess I should keep off my low range keyboard after midnight! lol

You crack me up Maggie!

have a great weekend
cheers Hunty

Hunno
29-04-11, 10:44 AM
Stil LMAO
I guess I should keep off my low range keyboard after midnight! lol

You crack me up Maggie!

have a great weekend
cheers Hunty

Keyboard Crawler!!!!

Hunty
29-04-11, 11:03 AM
Keyboard Crawler!!!!

I Dunno Hunno what that means but it has the word crawler in it - so I like it! lol - seriously am I all alone in my rant or does anyone else see the insanity?
FAB Hunty

reyzor
29-04-11, 11:28 AM
did you not read my post?

Hunno
29-04-11, 12:37 PM
I Dunno Hunno what that means but it has the word crawler in it - so I like it! lol - seriously am I all alone in my rant or does anyone else see the insanity?
FAB Hunty

Something that you are really not.
Keyboard Crawler - someone who talks & knows all about 4wding, has something to say on everything subject but only goes 4wding from behind their Keyboard.

reyzor
29-04-11, 01:31 PM
*sits back with popcorn*

D.K.
29-04-11, 04:45 PM
Take a look at the tyre they have chosen first and last - its laughable = its an insult to our intelligence! - heres what I say to 4wheeler.com;
Hang your head in shame for such a blatant piece of cash for comment journalism I have ever seen in my life!

The Fat Aussie bastard in training Cheers Hunty

GoodOnya Hunty, stick it to 'em;D

Cpage66
29-04-11, 06:53 PM
Need some gasket sealer now? LMFAO!
As stated, take those as PART of your research...but they also stick those tyres on a Jeep and not on a mega ton Pootrol like done here...
Since I got the actual mag and yes, there's a little ad for Hankook, there are MUCH larger ads for MT.
I trusty 4Wheeler way more than alot of other mags. They even state their confusion over why the Hankook did so much better in the actual mud than the others. But according to them, they clearly were better.
Personally, I'll try to stick Federal Couragias on my HEEPS the next time around...

Hunno
29-04-11, 07:19 PM
Need some gasket sealer now? LMFAO!
As stated, take those as PART of your research...but they also stick those tyres on a Jeep and not on a mega ton Pootrol like done here...
Since I got the actual mag and yes, there's a little ad for Hankook, there are MUCH larger ads for MT.
I trusty 4Wheeler way more than alot of other mags. They even state their confusion over why the Hankook did so much better in the actual mud than the others. But according to them, they clearly were better.
Personally, I'll try to stick Federal Couragias on my HEEPS the next time around...

I've been looking at the Federal Couragias since coming home from Jambo

Wooders
29-04-11, 07:46 PM
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/km2.jpg

Yeah get a real tyre:
;)

Cpage66
29-04-11, 09:51 PM
Lol!!!!!!!!!

Hunty
30-04-11, 12:24 AM
Hey Wooders - wrong pick - see below for correct matching of pics and insults LoL

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/hanfuck.jpg

Wooders
30-04-11, 07:58 AM
I just picked on one of the all terrans in your post ;).
I would have suggested these to Dave, but he said he wants lateral traction:
But I guess if you don't cut the little lugs out then they'd probably be ok ;)
I was also thinking these, but on a little Jeep you could probably remove the cores and still not air down enough to get the sidewalls to flex:
But seriously Dave, if it's not a DD, and you don't care about a bit of extra road noise then I'd suggest looking at the Swamper TSL or TSL SX. Jumbo even ran a set on your rig when he had it and he was a convert ;)

reyzor
30-04-11, 05:34 PM
swampers are the shiz...... although when its timme for my next set of tires (hopefully it will be a trailer rig by then) i think id go sticky treps....

Hunty
30-04-11, 10:21 PM
swampers are the shiz...... although when its timme for my next set of tires (hopefully it will be a trailer rig by then) i think id go sticky treps....

Hey Rey
"a Trailer rig" sounds pretty awesome, have you recently won the lottery and not planning on telling us! LoL - have you tried the KM2's, I am really pleased / surprised just how much more grip they have over my MTZ's
cheers Hunty

D.K.
01-05-11, 11:44 AM
Its OK Wooders (playing devils advocate admittedly:o:)), saying get some interco TSL's or whatever, and i think alot of us would like to run tyres at the more extreme end of the spectrum but the reality is even if its not a DD, these tyres are not legal for road use. Only recently, I was on my way back from Walleroo SF and i got pulled over by a zealous and quite aggressive Highway cop just after the Hexham Bridge. We spent about 10 minutes discussing my engineering certificate, mainly the wording of the tyre and wheel combo. His main concern was whether my speedo was accurate with the tyres i am running. I explained about the transfer case speedometer recalibration pinion gear doohickey that i have and that my GPS (which was luckily switched on) confirmed my speedo was accurate. He "let me off" as he put it as i am an older responsible looking person:).

Mitch
01-05-11, 11:09 PM
Get up to the Classic in June and see how many blokes run Federals.Heaps of the Army boys use em and swear by em,as i do. I,ve had em for app 2yrs i think and will buy em again.

Wooders
02-05-11, 09:40 AM
Its OK Wooders (playing devils advocate admittedly:o:)), saying get some interco TSL's or whatever, and i think alot of us would like to run tyres at the more extreme end of the spectrum but the reality is even if its not a DD, these tyres are not legal for road use. Only recently, I was on my way back from Walleroo SF and i got pulled over by a zealous and quite aggressive Highway cop just after the Hexham Bridge. We spent about 10 minutes discussing my engineering certificate, mainly the wording of the tyre and wheel combo. His main concern was whether my speedo was accurate with the tyres i am running. I explained about the transfer case speedometer recalibration pinion gear doohickey that i have and that my GPS (which was luckily switched on) confirmed my speedo was accurate. He "let me off" as he put it as i am an older responsible looking person:).
Ahh the ever zealous hwy cop - sorry no matter what tyres you put on you aren't protected from that menace ;)
ONLY problem with the swampers is they are not speed rated - but unless your engineering cert mentions anything about it - I think you'd most likely be ok.
Otherwise look at the Maxxis which are (as I understand).