PDA

View Full Version : Steve's wj

SteveC
02-05-11, 08:13 PM
Well I could not help my self, much to the disgust of the missus.....

Last week I ought a new Steel bar and new winch last Friday to replace my OEM alloy bar. There was only one ARB Steel Bar for my WJ that's available in Australia, though not the nicest/trendiest looking, it's strong and very heavy/solid.
Luckily it fit in the back of the Jeep and was only a 15 minute drive home with the tail gate open only a few inches. I did not realise how heavy as it was lifted into the back with a fork lift
Took me all weekend to install as I'm very particular (call it a vergo thing) in doing it right and even to having to upgrade some of the bolts which were just too short for my liking.
The winch needed to be installed in the bar first and this in it self was difficult as it was tricky to get to nuts in their special slots x 4. But after a few attempts (read 2 hours) I finally managed it, only having to do some again as I wanted to install spring washers.
After wiring up, and there is a lot of wiring and checking and checking and checking again and several trips to Bunnings to get rated high tensile bolts. I was ready to mount the whole thing.
Time for a rest, zzzzzzzzzz
Then the next day, Sunday, Then the big problem reared it's ugly head - I could not lift it! and there was no way I was going to be able to line it all up. So what was I to do. HA! The wife! well sort of. or go hire a lifting device But it's Sunday and nothing was open. So I thought that perhaps if I managed to get it balanced on two of my spares, I/we might be able to get it on top. With the help of the wife... gee she's so nice...... and plenty of groans, we were able to get it on the tyres and hypee it lined up almost exactly. I was so surprised and glad.
So the Jeep is now sporting a new bar and winch and looks good and at a great price.

now I don't have to rely so much on the generous members of the Jeep club......well a little less perhaps.

ps I'll probably need some guidance from Hunty on how to best isolate the winch to keep it more secure...

reyzor
02-05-11, 08:30 PM
awesome work mate... cant wait to see it

SteveC
05-05-11, 08:46 PM
Well the WJ is now sporting a new steel bar and warn winch. Luckily the extra weight has dropped less than half an inch of the lift. Now sits at 3" lift.

MOP44R
06-05-11, 11:13 AM
That looks great Steve

SteveC
08-05-11, 12:37 PM
Id like to install an isolator or similar between battery and winch to ensure its a little more secure
Any ideas? And how much amp rating should it be?