PDA

View Full Version : NAVRUNs can SJC do something like this?

glend
07-05-11, 02:05 PM
I followed a link posted up on AJOR about the NAVRUN events. These 4WD competitions are different in that they are aimed at family and groups that want to test their skills (Navigation, recovery, 4wheeling, etc). They seem to have events for all sorts of vehicles from stock soft roaders right up to comp standard.

Of course NAVRUN is a business, so I guess you could think of these events as tagalongs with a difference.

Not suggesting we get involved with them but this sort of event might be a big hit with club members.

Here is the link:

http://www.navrun.com.au/Default.htm

Cheers

Dave
21-05-11, 11:55 AM
Hi Glen,

The answer is, sort of! Jenko with me as nav and Brian W and his wife went on a NavRun a few years ago up in Sunny Corner State Forest. An organised event, we sort of went representing the club - I think the club was invited to send a team. You can imagine it, two KJ's up against lots of "monster" trucks covered in stickers from sponsors etc who all took it very seriously. We did okay the first day, about halfway down the list of competitors, and the fact that we got up some hills that stopped some of the big trucks cold... So the second day we did rubbish and got the wooden spoon! Our main problem was navigation. The GPS we were using was mis callibrated - and I don't really know how that works. We found all the points on the second day, but when we had to give the gps locations, every single one of our reported points was out by 150 metres or some such.

So, it was fun, but quite hard work. I think you need serious GPS gear - which it sounded like you are getting! We also sustained some panel damage. In short, not a relaxing weekend, but well worth trying.

Dave