PDA

View Full Version : Mt Airlee

TRBN8R
15-05-11, 08:46 PM
Mt Airlea Saturday 18.06.2011....

Hey Guys as proposed by DK the trip has found a destination. Guys with off road GPSs please log this trip as we go because we will need every track we find for Jambo.. This track is good enough for 8 Vehicles. It is a new track for the club so hope everyone will have a good time........

Trip Commander: Dave @ D.K.

When: 18/06/2011

Weather: If the weather is wet and the track is not safe the trip will be canned keeping in mind the safety of club members and "Tread Lightly" Policy of SJC.

Fees: As per the latest info the track is thru private property but the owner does not charge for it anymore......

Grade: C+ / B-

Numbers: 10 with 2 reserves

RV Point 1: Richmond Mc Donalds 0730 Hrs Depart for Lithgow by 0745 Hrs.....

RV Point 2: Lithgow Mc Donalds 0900 Hrs

Minimum Requirements: CB radio, Recovery points, Recovery gear, Kids, Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Any friend, Camera, Food/Drinks of choice.

Further info contact -Mani 0405801230

1. Mani @ TRBN8R
2. Jose @ Dieselcon
3. Eddy @ SfedeK
4. Dave @ D.K.
5. Greg @ GregD
6. Tolga
7. Jason @ JBrad
8. AJ
9. Kevin @ KiviKev
10. Skizzi

Cheers
Mani

TRBN8R
15-05-11, 08:48 PM
I missed Mount Airley..... Wanna take us there again D.K...........

Dieselcon
15-05-11, 09:29 PM
Ok twisted my arm.. Count me in ;)

sfedek
15-05-11, 09:42 PM
I would like to do this one please.

Eddy

TRBN8R
16-05-11, 10:13 AM
And Who's gonna suggest a destination.........

Bear
16-05-11, 10:30 AM
Could be interested in Lake Lyell

TRBN8R
16-05-11, 11:20 AM
If nothing else more interesting comes up then Lake Lyell it is.......

aussiejk
16-05-11, 12:44 PM
EDIT: Could you put me down I going to try get the day off work thanks

I'll be at work

D.K.
16-05-11, 12:51 PM
Hi Mani,

lets make it a Mt Airlie rematch , then. Im happy to do the honours , conditions permitting.
It is a great track, you'll wet yourself.We only got as far as the top of the first obstacle when Miraz had his drama.

If you can retitle the trip that would be cool.
As a plan 'B', If the rain comes we could do Sunny Corner which has an optional rocky hill-climb.

Cheers

Dave

Greg D
16-05-11, 01:20 PM
Please include me on this trip.
Greg

stevet
16-05-11, 02:59 PM
Yes, hopefully!!

aussiejk
16-05-11, 03:45 PM
Im going to try get the day off work could you put me down please

Bear
16-05-11, 03:48 PM
Mani you had better take me off this trip. I am in trouble for putting my name on the list without first consulting my social secretary.

Hunno
16-05-11, 04:06 PM
7. Steve @ SteveT. Shot Gun????

TRBN8R
16-05-11, 06:13 PM

If Steve drops out for any reason u can ride shotgun with me......

Dieselcon
16-05-11, 06:36 PM
If Steve drops out for any reason u can ride shotgun with me......

Two right footers..... Interesting......

Hunno
16-05-11, 08:33 PM
Two right footers..... Interesting......

Only in mud, hill climbs, water crossing.........

stevet
16-05-11, 08:57 PM
Well, I do have to past your way..:p........:)...........:)..

Tolga
16-05-11, 08:58 PM
Hi Guys,
Im fairly new to the club, and this will be my first trip! If possible I would like to attend, if there is still room?
Cheers,
Tolga

TRBN8R
16-05-11, 09:08 PM
Hi Guys,
Im fairly new to the club, and this will be my first trip! If possible I would like to attend, if there is still room?
Cheers,
Tolga

Done Mate,

U r on.....

Mani

stevet
16-05-11, 09:17 PM
Hi Tolga,
This run from what I have been told would require a 2" lift, good off-road tyres and recovery gear which you would be expected to have anyway ( please correct me D.K. if I am wrong about the track). Final decision lies with the trip organiser/leader of the run (Manni:)). It will be one interesting way to go wheeling first time if you have not been out before??.....;D............:)............Welcome, Stephen T.:).

stevet
16-05-11, 09:20 PM
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Tolga http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?p=24530)
Hi Guys,
Cheers,
Tolga

Done Mate,

U r on.....

Mani
Quicker off the mark Manni....:p.........:)...........

Tolga
16-05-11, 09:35 PM
Thanks Mani and thanks for the heads up Steve :)
I have a stock JK rubicon at the moment, but next week she is going to have the suspension replaced, with a 2" lift and new tyres :) recovery gear all sorted too...
I have been exploring a fair bit between Blackheath and Jenolan, teh last few months... compared to the tracks around that area, how would you rate it?
Cheers,
Tolga

memfis
16-05-11, 09:51 PM
can you put me down as a reserve as it sounds like fun

stevet
16-05-11, 09:58 PM
I have a stock JK rubicon at the moment, but next week she is going to have the suspension replaced, with a 2" lift and new tyres :) recovery gear all sorted too...
I have been exploring a fair bit between Blackheath and Jenolan, teh last few months... compared to the tracks around that area, how would you rate it?
Cheers,
Tolga
"Rubicon", sorry..:-[......:)..... You will enjoy/notice the lift & especially the M/T's hopefully if thats what you are getting fitted, but left hand/finger soreness gets little sympathy from one or two..;D.....:).... Have not personally been to the areas you mentioned, so really can not give you a comparo of the runs..................... But it is a good run from those who have been there previously....:)..............

jbrad
16-05-11, 10:36 PM
I'm in. I like the warning period. Heaps of time to get out of anything/everything else.

AJ
17-05-11, 06:56 AM
Can you add me as a reserve please? Normally working saturday's but will endeavour to get it off :D

D.K.
17-05-11, 09:26 AM
( please correct me D.K. if I am wrong about the track). Final decision lies with the trip organiser/leader of the run (Manni:)).

As we have found on recent trips, track conditions are changing quite rapidly usually in an upward direction. Mt Airlie has roughened up quite a bit since i first drove it back in 06.
It would be more accurate to give this track a B- rating. Generally there are no chicken tracks apart from at the first obstacle. A 2" lift with some form of traction aid will be sufficient for the terrain.
There is a rock canyon section where you lean in towards the wall, roof racks beware!

Dave

Miraz
17-05-11, 09:28 AM
Put me on the reserves...should be ready for a rematch by then...

rainman
17-05-11, 09:44 AM
Please put me down as well.

TRBN8R
17-05-11, 10:07 AM
Cheers,
Tolga

Mate with a Rubicon and lift and tyres I reckon you will be cruising up the tracks easy. It is a C/B- track and I am going there with a stock Wrangler, 2 inch lift, and a set of 33 inch muddies..... Sp with added advantage of front and rear lockers u should be fine.... And we have SteveT with us, he is one of the best teachers in the club so just take it easy. If u feel nervous at some place we will guide you thru......

Hope you enjoy ur first run with The SJC.....

Mani

TRBN8R
17-05-11, 10:25 AM
I'm in. I like the warning period. Heaps of time to get out of anything/everything else.

Yup, you r on the reserve.... I got my 4 week roster on Sunday and thats the only weekend I have off, So planned a quick trip :) ....

Cheers
Mani

PS: I will keep updating the first post almost everyday so keep looking at the first post for updated list......

TRBN8R
17-05-11, 10:36 AM
Hi Tolga,
It will be one interesting way to go wheeling first time if you have not been out before??.....;D............:)............Welcome, Stephen T.:).

I still remember my baptism of fire at Wattagans, First time serious 4wding, stock JK with no mods what so ever and we ended up on a B+ or probably A grade track....... We had to join 3 straps to snatch everyone up the hill, wrecked Scott's XJ and then had to break a tree trunk (without any cutting tools) on the windshield level with 2 Jeeps joined end to end..... Got home at 1'o clock in the morning......

Great fun

Mani

kiwi kev
17-05-11, 11:06 AM
put me on reserves , thanks Kevin

stevet
17-05-11, 12:07 PM
Missed that run:(, but really liked Scott's impromptual air flow solution to his Jeep..:o.........:D............:)............

rainman
25-05-11, 08:06 PM
Hey guys I will be at work so have to withdraw, maybe next time.

TRBN8R
30-05-11, 06:05 PM
Hi guys

The trip has been expanded to 10 vehicles. There is no fees payable anymore. Also in consultation with DK we have decided that in case of rain or other conditions that may endanger the safety of the group or chew up the track we will cancel the trip. Please check the first post for updates.

Thanks
Mani

TRBN8R
11-06-11, 07:42 AM
OnE week to go........ Cant wait......... Guys go thru the list of attendees (is that a word :)) on page 1 and if u find any discrepancy please let me know.........

aussiejk
11-06-11, 12:52 PM
I def in got next Saturday off :) can't wait

SKIZZI
12-06-11, 12:21 AM
Can I go on the reserve list to get on the reserve list.

Greg D
12-06-11, 07:14 PM
I confirm that I will be joining the trip, thanks.
Greg

aussiejk
14-06-11, 11:03 AM
I would suggest that this trip gets cancelled was up lithgow way over weekend and even the roads in and out of zigzag were very slippery and the tracks were rather hard traction was quite hard to get even with my 35"s and lockers

TRBN8R
14-06-11, 12:15 PM
I would suggest that this trip gets cancelled was up lithgow way over weekend and even the roads in and out of zigzag were very slippery and the tracks were rather hard traction was quite hard to get even with my 35"s and lockers

Cheers Dave,

I have never been to Mt Airlee before so I will leave this decision to DK who is very familiar with the track........

jbrad
14-06-11, 10:32 PM
I'm getting anxious. Long time since last outing. Last weather report said - weekend fine. Woo Hoo

stevet
14-06-11, 11:08 PM
I'm getting anxious. Long time since last outing. Last weather report said - weekend fine. Woo Hoo
Depends on the weather before the run usually...:(........:)...... Do not know the track but it don't look good at this stage..:(.....:)......

TRBN8R
15-06-11, 11:01 AM
As per communications received from our tour guide DK the exact condition will be known by late thursday. So hang tight and pay that the sun dries out the tracks in the mean time........

D.K.
15-06-11, 11:06 AM
Hi everybody,

i will call Col on thursday who has the lease on the property, to get a birds eyeview of track conditions.
At this stage it doesn't look good and its a long drive out there to get turned back. The forecast for friday onwards is a return to sunny conditions, but if the track is waterlogged it is a no go. I dont want to be a party pooper but thats just the way it is. We can always reschedule for the following weekend although some people will inevitably be unavailable.

Dave K

stevet
15-06-11, 11:10 AM
Maybe out anyway..:(....... Will definitely know by Thursday evening anyway..:)..eeerrrr......:rolleyes:......:).

Miraz
15-06-11, 11:26 AM
Drop me off the reserve list - still troubleshooting the new axle...

Hunno
15-06-11, 12:06 PM
Maybe out anyway..:(....... Will definitely know by Thursday evening anyway..:)..eeerrrr......:rolleyes:......:). ....
Steve my shift doesn't finish until 0700hrs & then I have to pick up Harmony @ 0800hrs So I wouldn't get to to Richmond unitl near 0900hrs.
So I guess I'm out anyway. So been haning to go out there.

aussiejk
15-06-11, 09:22 PM
I'm out not going to risk damage to Jeep or possible injurys, we have simply had to much rain. Spoke to brother in law who was out at mugee over LWE and he said they have had alot of rain out there and some roads are closed due flooding. I know mugee is a bit futher out but he said it's pretty bad

D.K.
16-06-11, 10:52 AM
Ive just got off the phone to Col and he tells me they have had maybe a thimble full of rain. Go Figure.

Given that the weather conditions are now improving it looks like the trip is still on:D

He did advise me to check with him on Friday evening, so everybody please check this thread on Friday evening to make sure the trip has not been canned.

*If members on the list are not coming can they let Mani know * - I know Skizzi is red hot to get out and is currently a reserve.

Cheers

kiwi kev
16-06-11, 02:28 PM
so am I , Cheers, Kev

SKIZZI
16-06-11, 03:25 PM
With David and steve out. I think you're in already ;) you'll know tonight so check again soon kev

aussiejk
16-06-11, 03:40 PM
you can have my spot I def not going, I also just took a shift for work...

stevet
16-06-11, 05:24 PM
Out..........EEERRR.............

SKIZZI
16-06-11, 06:02 PM
so i guess with aussiejk, stevet and miraz out that puts AJ and kiwikev in....

did you get saturday off work AJ?

TRBN8R
16-06-11, 06:19 PM
List updated..... Check page 1...... Also any one not coming please post up..... Also Skizzi u r the only one on the reserve list check up the list late friday night, going by the previous record there is a 90% possibility someone will drop out late Friday night...........

Cheers
Mani

kiwi kev
16-06-11, 08:58 PM
Jose and I will meet you all at Lithgow Maccas as we are coming from south Syd
cheers,Kev

memfis
16-06-11, 09:30 PM
sorry I have to bale out

one of my boys at work hade a baby so he can't work Saturday now so I will have to work

TRBN8R
16-06-11, 11:24 PM
sorry I have to bale out

one of my boys at work hade a baby so he can't work Saturday now so I will have to work

Cheers mate............ Skizzi u r on..........

SKIZZI
17-06-11, 01:22 AM
thanks ill meet you at richmond :)

TRBN8R
18-06-11, 09:35 PM
Definitely a Jambo track..... Picturesque........ Beautiful scenery.......... Great C+ track........ Thanks DK, this was one of the best trips ever........ Great fun and cheers guys, it was good to meet new members.....

SKIZZI
18-06-11, 09:46 PM
It WAS a great day wasn't it. It was good to do a technical track that was difficult in some areas, yet everyone got through without needing to be snatched or winched. Thanks to everyone involved in organizing this trip. Good to meet some more members and put a few faces to usernames

Tolga, your mate George took a video I want to see ;)

kiwi kev
18-06-11, 09:58 PM
thanks DK, fantastic day out, it was my first Jeep Club outing , alot of fun, entertainment, and good to get to know some of you guys

ick72
18-06-11, 10:39 PM
any pics guys i was keen on going but didnt know if my kj was up to it.

AJ
19-06-11, 09:42 AM
Some how I missed this trip altogether :shock: Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Sounds like a good day out was had :D

Dieselcon
19-06-11, 11:01 AM
Have heaps of vids... Just need time to sort through.
In the mean time here are some photos....;)
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-3aea-232e.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-3b33-19fe.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-3b5d-36f2.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-3b94-7f02.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-3bc0-d643.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-3c3e-89df.jpg

Dieselcon
19-06-11, 11:03 AM
One of the sections that could convert your jeep to a permanent convertible..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJjTTtTvC6k
Other vids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1kBxF9uWbk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TlVaapHFZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7REhESaCoYE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWMV-64Xbjw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlHYEeyCpyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQuViN8fZM

Cheers
Jose

SKIZZI
19-06-11, 01:03 PM
thanks Jose

great pics and vids.

sfedek
19-06-11, 03:01 PM
Sorry guys, could not make it AGAIN! Hope you had a fun day!
Eddy

Greg D
19-06-11, 11:14 PM
Very much enjoyed the day yesterday.
Thanks Mani for organizing the trip, and thanks DK for leading.
The driving was great, and the views from the end of the walk were spectacular.
Some photos & videos of the trip:

and video links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Lkyiqierw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l7fmckJhhY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwSBL74e7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rwenVCc0cg

jbrad
19-06-11, 11:38 PM
Thanks to all for an outstanding trip.

It was only an 8 km trip in (and then 8 out again of course) but it had everything that you needed to make it a great day, Dirt, Scenery and Mates! The weather held out for us, it was a great winter's day.
The way I saw the day (not getting in the way of a trip report of course).
For me it was a leisurely drive from home to Richmond where I had my first coffee of the morning. Always a great way to start off in the morning. Not too long after meeting with the new arrivals – Greg (GregD) in the TJ, Mani (TRBN8R) in his Maroon JKU, Tolga (Tolga) in his newly setup Rubi JK (with passenger George) and Greg (SKIZZI) in his monster truck. I had a go at SKIZZI for parking next to me. No one really notices my Black Betty (JKU) when you have a Green JK parked next to you sitting on 35 inch rubber feet (it’s green, but its always me that appears a little green with envy). Greg D was sporting a new Rugged Ridge winch on the front with plasma rope ready for the day ahead – of which we never needed to pay out fortunately – always good insurance though. We soon headed off travelling up Bells line Rd and toward Lithgow in order to meet up with the others. At one point I got Tolga to turn on his high beam from behind me so I could witness a Solar Flare. He has set up the Rubi with three halogen spots (I think 7 inch) on the bar, a small bar on the bonnet with three small halogen spots, a windscreen bar that had another five (I lost count it may be six even) across the top. To put more icing on the cake, he has converted his headlights to HID. At one point coming down on the return trip, he did switch on (the Sun!) and kinda looked like a Christmas tree. It was a very neat setup and really looks the part.

At the second stop (Lithgow Maccas) to pick up our next lot of Sydney Jeepers, we met with our Trip guide for the day Dave (DK) in his beautifully moddified ragtop TJ, Jose (Deiselcon) in his Black JKU and Kev (Kiwikev) also in a black JKU. Kev has only recently put out some hard earned dollars to sit his JK up on some 33 inch Mickey Thompsons on each of her four corners. I’m thinking I may have to invest in some of that action myself in the near future. The drive on from Lithgow, through Capertee and onto the air down loc was uneventful. We stopped to say thanks to the proprietor, Col, at the entrance to what was to be a fantastic trip. Incidentally, Col’s property is littered with a significant chunk of history with a variety of fixed wing aircraft, old trucks and various sorts of farming equipment from an era long gone.

After only 700 m of track a pass opened before us which proceeded to meander up an escarpment boarded by ferns, blackboys and sheer rock cliff faces. The track itself consisted of hardpack dirt and rocky outcrops and had not seen too much rain in the preceding week. Most of the track was sure footed as well with the occasional off camber corner or rock step. That is not to say that at any stage was it boring. The obstacles presented the necessary assessment of which line presented the best approach and the one that would see less undercarriage carnage. It took only the first leg before most of the crew had roof panels removed or soft tops down and doing things natural (topless) in order to take in as much of the 360 deg majestic views as was humanly possible. We stopped a few times to ensure everyone was comfortable with the speed and progress of the day’s drive, at one point SKIZZI found a near vertical resting spot whereby he managed to park his steed. To mount and dismount saw him using the rear wheel to step on in order to get into the cab.

A typical lunch of sambos, coffee and biscuits was consumed and Tolga also produced a lamington slice; after which, we then walked to the edge of the world. Spectacular views at the end of a short stroll which saw us all perched on the edge of a bluff overlooking valley floor and similar height escarpments on the horizon. The wind was a bit chill, but the walk there and back was sufficient to keep us from complaining.

The return trip saw us meet up with another group of like minded four wheelers perched on the top on one of the previously conquered precipices. In typical fashion they were more than satisfied in watching the more capable, and better looking, Jeeps do their thing scaling back up the rock steps that were earlier descended.

The final leg of the journey back toward Col’s property was short and still easily as spectacular as on the way in. Jose could not help himself, and after a short decent faced his Jeep back up the alternate to get back up and watch everyone else do the step-down. This way he not only managed to do the main track up and down, but the alternate up and down as well.

Overall I want to thank everyone for a great day out, especially those who organised and led it – Mani and Dave. This was Tolga’s first trip out and I believe that he (and his passenger George) got to experience a first class introductory trip that was well planned and executed. One of the comments I heard on the day was that once you do your first trip you need to put up some sort of trip report or your views on the day. Well this was my fifth trip and no one ever told me to do a write up. I hope this late entry is sufficient and provides some insight to those unfortunate enough to miss this truly inspirational drove to Mt Airly. Regards Jason (jbrad). Also, great pics guys and if this can be passed onto our Mag editor that would be cool.

Dieselcon
20-06-11, 12:11 AM
Well said Jas...... It was truly a Jurassic drive, one that I will remember fondly. Thanks to all for making it a great day.
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-f553-6fd9.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-f4b9-d530.jpg
http://tapatalk.com/mu/3aa4044e-f4fe-46ce.jpg

SKIZZI
20-06-11, 12:18 AM
nice write up Jason, just re-lived the day... thanks

cant wait for the next SJC trip. Yes!!! its only days away ;)

D.K.
20-06-11, 01:09 AM
Great day and great company with Sydney JK club, er sorry, i mean Sydney Jeep Club :)
By the way Jason , Skizzi is on 37's so almost everybody suffers from tyre envy.