PDA

View Full Version : Any you thought Jeep Parts are expensive

SteveC
19-05-11, 12:01 PM
Just took my wifes' Mercedes A190 for service and was shocked what they said needed immediate attention
And this is supply prices only - Brakes all round $1400! fair enough they need doing but I was able to source them at $300 and 1 hour of my time fitting
But the killer was
wait for it..... Wiper blades $167! and one led light behind instrument panel $207 and drive belt $249!

but I won't bore you with the others stuff.

Think your selves lucky....

glend
19-05-11, 12:24 PM
Totally agree, Jeep stuff is pretty easy to find once you know to avoid the stealerships, and reasonable with the AUD being so high at the moment. My daughters VW Polo has had two ignition coils go in the past three months. Each sparkplug has an individual coil (how is that progress?). The service guys just say "Yep, they get a few years old and they start to fail". Ok so they are only costing about $150 a pop but there are two more to replace in the near future. The local garage tells me that Ford V8s also use these individual ignition lead coils and that they cost $400 each, and they only last about two years. We also had the special German wiper blade thrown at us, bought them on ebay for 20% of the original equipment price. Love my diesel.

TRBN8R
19-05-11, 01:55 PM
Boy..... I thought rear brakes at $350 including fitting were expensive.... Dont know why but I am leaning more and more towards a Mahindra Thar (www.mahindrathar.com (http://www.mahindrathar.com)) for my second Jeep, it will only be about $18000 if launched in Australia ..... and I can always get my dad to courier parts from India.... ;)......

stevet
19-05-11, 03:09 PM
My daughter's 2008 Mazda3-- Electronic power steering unit--$2700.00,:o ( designed for bearing to fail and are not able to replace same without destroying the unit) - power steering hose's-- $1400.00-- Got them FREE but not from the stealership.....:).............. Seems like they are mostly the same.Rip you off with a smile...:(.........:)...

TRBN8R
19-05-11, 04:02 PM
My daughter's 2008 Mazda3-- Electronic power steering unit--$2700.00,:o ( designed for bearing to fail and are not able to replace same without destroying the unit) - power steering hose's-- $1400.00-- Got them FREE but not from the stealership.....:).............. Seems like they are mostly the same.Rip you off with a smile...:(.........:)...

2700+1400=4100...... Suzuki Alto is 12000 drive away..........

stevet
19-05-11, 04:59 PM
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by stevet http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?p=24609)

2700+1400=4100...... Suzuki Alto is 12000 drive away..........
Forgot to mention "Labour" as well. My mechanic did it all for under a grand:o:) (long story), but was worth every $$$$$$ we saved and he went out of his way no end to get the job done right. Saved over $6000.00 by Not going via Mazda as the previous owner did not follow the warrenty terms in regards to servicing the car. Later copped $400.00 rear brake part's replacement bill as he also failed to respond to a recall for the rear brake componants to be replaced in 08...:(.........

benjo
19-05-11, 10:42 PM
Boy..... I thought rear brakes at $350 including fitting were expensive.... Dont know why but I am leaning more and more towards a Mahindra Thar (www.mahindrathar.com (http://www.mahindrathar.com)) for my second Jeep, it will only be about $18000 if launched in Australia ..... and I can always get my dad to courier parts from India.... ;)......

I wish that I hadnt seen that.

Steve F
20-05-11, 12:51 AM

Hmmm, I know where they didn't spend any of that $18000 ;)

http://www.mahindrathar.com/images/gallery_imgs/lg_dashboard.jpg

Cheers
Steve

reyzor
20-05-11, 08:32 AM
hahahahaahahahahaha.............that looks even worse then the old troop carrier land cruisers....

TRBN8R
20-05-11, 08:48 AM
That is the point, I dont want luxuries.... First thing is a vehicle doesnt breakdown... and if it does I shouldnt have to sell my kidneys to fix it.......

Hunno
20-05-11, 09:54 AM
not to mention you can just hose it out at the end of the day.

reyzor
20-05-11, 10:17 AM
we can hose the jeeps (real ones) out too... jsut ask hunty.........this is off topic, but i want to be comfortable too..... no use driving around in a tractor jsut cos its realiable.....although is it really? my jeep (real one) hasnt missed a beat, and with serving and repairs it hasnt been to bad at all..... plus when something gives up on it, its a good excuse to upgrade?

Steve F
20-05-11, 10:26 AM
That is the point, I dont want luxuries.... First thing is a vehicle doesnt breakdown... and if it does I shouldnt have to sell my kidneys to fix it.......

A bit if carpet and some airbags is hardly a luxury these days ;) and my Jeep has never stopped because it has them :) The center console and stereo have never been an issue either. I do like a stripped down vehicle but there has to be some concession to comfort for me if it was going to be used for anything other than a toy, and not a touring toy at that.

Actually, for the $18000 I'd get a real Willys, just as stripped down and without the comforts of a modern vehicle but will appreciate in value as well :)

Cheers
Steve

reyzor
20-05-11, 10:46 AM
comfort isnt a luxury... nor is safety (air bags)........how much would the seatbelts package set you back in one of these lol

sbadman
20-05-11, 05:28 PM
I like it, reminds me of my Valiant :D

Steve F
20-05-11, 05:32 PM
I like it, reminds me of my Valiant :D

Geez, even my '62 Beetle had carpet!!

Cheers
Steve

sbadman
20-05-11, 05:44 PM
Geez, even my '62 Beetle had carpet!!

Cheers
Steve

So does my Valiant :P Although when I got it it had nothing at all! Also being a commercial vehicle (it's a Wayfarer) it probably would have had vinyl back in 1971.

TRBN8R
20-05-11, 06:13 PM
how much would the seatbelts package set you back in one of these lol

A set of 2500 Kg ratchet straps tied to the seat frame should do;D, It wouldnt go fast enough to use them anyway :D;D;D.....

reyzor
21-05-11, 09:54 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i dont know what more funny out of this thread... mani's last comment, or the image of steve hooning around in a bettle......

Wooders
21-05-11, 11:46 AM
.... Dont know why but I am leaning more and more towards a Mahindra Thar (www.mahindrathar.com (http://www.mahindrathar.com)) for my second Jeep...
Should I point out the glaringly obvious insult in what you've just said? ;)

TRBN8R
21-05-11, 02:17 PM
OK guys I think I have upset too many people here ;D...... I didnt mean to challenge the superiority of Jeeps or upset diehard Jeepers. I am one of them too but cant afford to have two $40,000 Jeeps in my garage. I was looking forward to getting rid of my wife's car and get a cheap weekend toy in a couple of years time. It should look good and be cheap to buy, modify and fix in case it broke something. I came across this Mahindra while doing nothing on the net and thought might as well have a look at it. Thats the reason behind it, as you can see I posted my thoughts on a thread that was regarding expensive spares.....

I apologize if I have upset someone:):):)...

Mani;D;D;D

PS: Parramatta Jeep quoted $107/Ltr for synthetic diff oil..... That would make $642 in oil + Labour for changing both diffs.......

Steve F
21-05-11, 03:06 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA i dont know what more funny out of this thread... mani's last comment, or the image of steve hooning around in a bettle......

It wasn't stock ;)

Cheers
Steve

benjo
22-05-11, 09:14 PM
[QUOTE=TRBN8R;24636]That is the point, I dont want luxuries....QUOTE]

Yeah, I can agree with that. The only thing left in my new JK is the seats, dash and sunvisors ;)

Wooders
23-05-11, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=TRBN8R;24677...... but cant afford to have two $40,000 Jeeps in my garage...

Mani;D;D;D
[/QUOTE]
LOL doubt anyone is actually offended - Just shyt stirring.
$40k? who can....And if I did I'd still buy an old one and spend the rest doing it up.

SteveC
24-05-11, 12:25 PM
Of course while price is probably the most important aspect when deciding to buy a part, Service and the ability for sellers to provide the "right" items and "quickly" can influence the buyer to pay a premium. Unfortunately that seems not to be a priority for may sellers these days. Sellers need to go out their way to make a sale rather than rely on their name alone.
I'd be prepared to pay a little extra if I got good service.

Wooders
25-05-11, 01:19 PM
Ahh but always remember Steve there is almost always 2 sides to every story - a little more time in Artarmon & you will see this more & more ;)

SteveC
25-05-11, 01:33 PM
Agree wooders but whats in Artarmon??? im not in artarmon!

Wooders
25-05-11, 02:12 PM
I thought you were at ***. Sorry my mistake.

SteveC
25-05-11, 02:23 PM
No worries dave I'm not in Artarmon,