PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Grand Cherokee Cheapest Large SUV to run - Hooray a Jeep first place at last!

glend
20-05-11, 09:44 AM
There was an article in the SMH today about the running costs of various vehicle classes, and for the first time I can remember a Jeep came in at the top of class (lowest cost of ownership) for the Large SUV category. Now if they can just get a diesel into that vehicle they should have a one-two win.

Here's the link:

http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/revealed-the-cheapest-cars-to-run-20110519-1etyu.html

Cheers

TRBN8R
20-05-11, 09:56 AM
WOW That's great. Hope Jeep use it for publicity...............

SteveC
20-05-11, 11:15 AM
Last weekend I was on a training session and there was a 2 week old new Grand Cherokee Laredo. The basic basic version with road tyres. We came across a very steep hill , perhaps 100metres which was attempted by several vehicles with differing results. The 100 did it but really was spraying rock everywhere but to its credit it did get up in one go. The Hilux with twin lockers made it look so easy. shows how lockers make a huge difference
When it came to the Jeep. (which has a dial system to select differing terrain) which I suspect will be the norm soon fo r all Jeeps. I suggested he try "rock". It made it about a 3rd of the way after several attempts . I then suggested he try (auto) and surprisingly it crawled up with no problems. Amazing for stock vehicle. No lift , no lockers just traction control.

reyzor
20-05-11, 03:24 PM
traction control these days is becoming so far advanced its not even funny..... makes you think twice about forking out for lockers........ but im still glad ive got em

TRBN8R
20-05-11, 04:48 PM
Hi All

I am just curious and not being a smartarse. The big companies spend a lot of money on developing these electronic traction aids for 4wds, which eat the brakes and are expensive to fix if they go wrong as all electronics are susceptible to moisture and mud. Why dont they just make diff locks standard. They would not cost more than $500 a pop to them due to bulk purchase... and to stop people from engaging them on road just hook them thru 4 lo switch same way we do to driving lights thru hi beam......

Steve F
20-05-11, 05:30 PM
Traction control can provide an infinitely adjustable range of traction to one wheel or another and will work just as well on road as offroad. The locker, as you know, is off or on. Great for offroad useless on the road in most circumstances. Since most Jeeps these days just see road use or limited offroad use the traction control works just fine. For offroad and more hardcore use the locker is preferred for its simple guaranteed traction and for the fact you can have the diffs fully locked all day with no adverse affects like traction control would have :)

As an aside even my Mazda 6 has traction control, its not just limited to 4WD and is more road than offroad biased, its probably not as offroad orientated as the Jeeps but it's there.

Cheers
Steve

stevet
20-05-11, 05:43 PM
Hardest thing for JK owners is learning how to use their traction control first before engaging their lockers if fitted eg Rubicons. Love just watching it work/kickin off road when needed and allowed to work before the lockers are engaged....................................

SteveC
20-05-11, 05:52 PM
Hi All

I am just curious and not being a smartarse. The big companies spend a lot of money on developing these electronic traction aids for 4wds, which eat the brakes and are expensive to fix if they go wrong as all electronics are susceptible to moisture and mud. Why dont they just make diff locks standard. They would not cost more than $500 a pop to them due to bulk purchase... and to stop people from engaging them on road just hook them thru 4 lo switch same way we do to driving lights thru hi beam......

They do! Lockers are available as OEM from most manufacturers. It depends on if you want that option or not and some times they come with lockers standard any way. The rubicon has lockers so has the Toyotas such as 78 series and even the new FJ cruiser has only one model and it comes with lockers , Even the new Prado just to name a few. Not only that, I'm sure they mostly have traction control too. One of the new model Grands has lockers I believe.
Not all traction controls work the same way either I believe

D.K.
25-05-11, 01:07 PM
I guess the fundamental difference comparing TC systems to lockers is that TC is a REACTIVE system which kicks in when the computer detects wheel slippage. Maybe not what you want when easing over a big step.
Engagable Lockers on the otherhand are PRE-EMPTIVE in that you see the obstacle, activate the lockers so that they are engaged before you reach the obstacle.

Having said all that i think TC works very well on loose shaly terrain where the tyres are scrabbling for traction. I used first generation TC in a defender 90 and that worked very well.