PDA

View Full Version : Hanging out for weekend o'niters.....!!!

chrispy
16-03-05, 07:13 PM
Hey all - apart from the Jeep jamborees, we don't seem to be doing any "family-oriented" weekender trips with a stay-over on Saturday night.

I'd like to propose a nice D-C grade trip like Newnes (camping at the old township after a day in the normal places), Yeranderrie (camp at the public or private camping areas) or Bendethra so that us "tourers" can break out the camping gear and enjoy the outdoors around a fire - cook a nice dinner and have a few beers and a laugh without having to drive a million miles to a Jamboree or hop rocks just for the day.

Any other suggestions?

BenC
17-03-05, 12:19 PM
Yalwal?
Gloucester (sp)?

It would be good to have a few weekender club trips.

Dorzun
17-03-05, 03:34 PM
come on the classic not plastic weekend then.

chrispy
17-03-05, 04:26 PM
Thanks Brad...but then it wouldn't be "not plastic". :wink:

I was just speaking in general terms. The only reason I'm with a club at all is the social aspect of it...and I mean sharing the outdoors with good people with all sorts of machinery - not just competition trucks. That's the main reason I left the Bong Bong club - all they seemed to want to do were comps and rock crawling.

Been there, done that - and I got it out of my system a long time ago. These days I'm more interested in the scenery.

Cpage66
17-03-05, 06:31 PM
I'm trying my darndest to get Pela to go camping and she's SLOWLY coming around to the idea, just not fast enough for me. :D She has been camping once in her life and it was a horrid experience...whereas I've lived weeks out in the woods...You and Jenny need to help with her. :wink:

chrispy
17-03-05, 06:34 PM
We'd be more than glad to Chris - that's what we like to do :)

Antz
17-03-05, 07:16 PM
I'd be pleased to run a few two or three day trips.

Mentioned earlier about a possible caves to caves run or a Bendethra valley trip? Any suggestions as to when to go?

Antz
17-03-05, 07:19 PM
How about the long weekend in April? 23/24/25

or the weekend after?

Hunter
17-03-05, 09:13 PM
I will be more than happy to go, I got a brand new tent that has never been used yet :wink:
Just decide a date & let me know.

chrispy
17-03-05, 10:03 PM
I'd be pleased to run a few two or three day trips.

Mentioned earlier about a possible caves to caves run or a Bendethra valley trip? Any suggestions as to when to go?

Caves to caves is a nice trip Antz. First night camp just after the Kowmung crossing or on Limeburners. Second night at Yerranderie. Return the next day via Mittagong.

Bendethra is a really beautiful spot too. Been there before a couple of times, and there is plenty of camping available. Can't remember my way around though - as I wasn't leading the trip.

I was thinking about the long weekend too. We were booked to go the Cooma for it, but I'm up for anywhere else too :)

chrispy
17-03-05, 10:37 PM
Actually - what about this little suggestion? We go down Friday night (22nd) and camp at our place in Cooma. Use that as our base for the first day or two and do any of a dozen tracks (as described in the Boiling Billy "4WD Tracks of the High Country) all within an hour or so of our place.

There's the Broken Cart Trail near Tantangara Reservoir, There's also the Long Plain Road trail there too.The Ravine Road and Lobbs Hole Powerline Road near Kiandra (pretty close to our place). There are literally DOZENS of trails all quite near.

Anyone?

Dorzun
18-03-05, 01:44 PM
Thanks Brad...but then it wouldn't be "not plastic". :wink:

I was just speaking in general terms. The only reason I'm with a club at all is the social aspect of it...and I mean sharing the outdoors with good people with all sorts of machinery - not just competition trucks. That's the main reason I left the Bong Bong club - all they seemed to want to do were comps and rock crawling.

Been there, done that - and I got it out of my system a long time ago. These days I'm more interested in the scenery.

Now what you mean, here was I thinking this summer was going to be full of weekends away but then went and bought a house and started renovating.

That's cost me weekends away and no $$$$ to fix the broken jeep.

xj95
19-03-05, 05:09 PM
Do you have to be a sydney jeep club member to participate in these organised trips ?
I have a jeep

chrispy
19-03-05, 07:38 PM
xj95 - no, not technically. Visitors are welcome on trips away. You never know... you may like us and decide to join :P

xj95
20-03-05, 08:28 PM

thats exactly what im after and why i have resisted joining some clubs :wink:

xj95
21-03-05, 01:06 AM
I was down at Lake Eucumbene a few weeks back.. a great part of the world, and would like to do more "exploring" around that area. old gold fields of the Kiandra (Giandara) district.

chrispy
21-03-05, 07:40 AM
I was down at Lake Eucumbene a few weeks back.. a great part of the world, and would like to do more "exploring" around that area. old gold fields of the Kiandra (Giandara) district.

We love it down that way - that's why we bought a property there. We'll retire there over the next few years.

We are about a half hour drive from Eucumbene. There are so many tracks and places to go - most with historical significance of some sort. A truly great part of the country :)

BenC
21-03-05, 09:36 AM
I guess that's why we have 2 trip co-ordinators. So everyone gets catered for

An A-B trip coordinator who does hardcore rock crawling and competition events, and a C-D trip coordinator who does easier day trips for those who are interested in that or who want to do camping trips etc.

Antz
21-03-05, 09:52 AM
Actually - what about this little suggestion? We go down Friday night (22nd) and camp at our place in Cooma. Use that as our base for the first day or two and do any of a dozen tracks (as described in the Boiling Billy "4WD Tracks of the High Country) all within an hour or so of our place.

There's the Broken Cart Trail near Tantangara Reservoir, There's also the Long Plain Road trail there too.The Ravine Road and Lobbs Hole Powerline Road near Kiandra (pretty close to our place). There are literally DOZENS of trails all quite near.

Anyone?

OK Chris, if you want to make up some sort of itinerary we'll see who is interested. I have done Broken Cart trail and Long Plain trail, I think broken cart is closed over the winter months?

chrispy
21-03-05, 10:22 AM
No worries Antz

I'll put together a sample itinerary.

Dorzun
21-03-05, 11:06 AM
that's correct Antz, it is closed during winter.

The ACT boy's can always help with advice for trails down that way.

chrispy
21-03-05, 11:08 AM
I'm also asking the local Cooma club.

xj95
30-03-05, 01:38 AM
anything coming up :wink:

Dorzun
31-03-05, 09:36 AM
only the classic not plastic weekend. But you're welcome to join us.

wiz
02-04-05, 01:16 AM
one of the guys i work with always does heaps of w/ends away ...
has heaps of knowledge , with a tonne of maps and trip notes etc for all different areas,
most trails he drives aren't too difficult , but very scenic and knows of all the good camp-spots :D

although i don't how the rest of the jeepers would feel with a trip leader in a 60series :lol: ...
suppose i could borrow his maps/notes/advice and get us lost for a few days :roll:

Jaffas
02-04-05, 07:08 PM
You could probably get us lost without his maps Wiz!! :wink:

chrispy
07-04-05, 10:47 AM
OK - just got confirmation from the NPWS that the Broken Cart Trail, and others in the area - including the track THROUGH Tantangara Reservoir are all OPEN - and will be (as far as they can see) for the weekend of the 22,23 & 24th.

We're ON!!

There are a couple of locked gates, but ways around them, so we can go from Tantangara right up to Brindabella Road.

If we go down there on the Friday after work (23rd) we van camp at our place for the night. We'll head out and do the first couple of trails (about an hour and a bit drive) on the Saturday and return to our place that evening. Sunday we can do the Broken Cart trail and maybe camp up there somewhere for the evening. Monday we do another trail or two and then go north through the Brindabellas on Brindabella Road to Canberra and home.

Sound good?

chrispy
11-04-05, 07:28 AM
Bump

Anyone?

We're going down there anyway, so you're all welcome.

Hunter - you still coming?

Hunter
11-04-05, 10:42 AM
Yes I am.

xj95
12-04-05, 12:54 AM
I would really like to join in on this one....I gotta check the slave roster first.
:oops:

chrispy
19-04-05, 09:56 AM
Trip to Cooma/Broken Cart Trail/Tantangara cancelled due to lack of interest.