PDA

View Full Version : JK CRD turbo hoses - how long will they last?

glend
02-06-11, 09:59 PM
My son is taking his JK U CRD across the Simpson from west to east (in September). He has close to 60,000kms on his original hoses and they are starting to weep abit of oil (especially the intake side).

He carries rescue tape but the Simpson is no place to have a hose fail because limp mode will not get you over a dune. Does anyone know how long these original hoses will last? Are there Samco silicon replacements? Where can we source these hoses at a reasonable cost (he was quoted over $1000 by his QLd Jeep dealer)?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Cheers
Glen

Dave
02-06-11, 10:58 PM
Glen,

My original lower turbo hose blew at about 50,000km - mainly because it was rubbing on something in the engine bay when it expanded under boost.

That said, when I was researching silicone hoses a couple of years ago, people in the USA were having hoses fail from anything over about 35,000 miles - or roughly 50k kms.

Samco's website only has silicone hoses listed for Cherokees and Libertys nothing on JK's - and a Google search came up blank too! Hyperflow Tech in Unanderra only lists the KJ hoses - where we got ours.

My only suggestion is a trip to Supercheap Auto. Depending on space and complexity of the hoses, Supercheap sell a variety of shapes and sizes of silicone and stainless hose/pipe sections to 'build' your own complete hoses with. Other similar options;
http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=40 or http://www.aseturbo.com/silicone-hoses/cat_31.html

Either that or back to Jeep Spares...

Sorry,
Dave

glend
02-06-11, 11:40 PM
Thanks Dave, there aren't any Samco hoses for the JK as far as I can find out. There is a place in Rockhampton that makes aluminium ones (with Silicon sleeve joiners to the intercooler) and that looks like his cheapest option but I am waiting to here from a parts guy on the Jeep OE hose replacements which I understand now have silicon liners.

Dave
03-06-11, 01:20 PM
That's good to hear, although I wonder if a liner is enough. In the KJ's, the OE rubber hoses expanded significantly under boost. The Samco silicone ones do not expand. I wonder if a silicone liner in a rubber hose will be strong enough to resist expansion - or if not, whether the silicone will develop cracks while the rubber expands...

I'd be tempted to cost out how much silicone and stainless or aluminium parts would cost - or if it would even be possible to 'build' your own - anyway, might be cheaper & better than replacement OE...

Cpage66
03-06-11, 05:26 PM
Glen, one of my mechanics responded a couple of months ago to my question of the silicons for the WJ and he said he could get 'em done for anything on the road. Want me to find out what those do your own kits are??

glend
03-06-11, 06:19 PM
Sure Chris it would be great to have an option. I know that we can buy silicon sections and piece together (using joiners) something that resembles the stock JK CRD hoses, and there is also this outfit (Kaos) in Rockhampton that do them in aluminium (with silicon joiners to the intercooler and turbo etc). I think we would prefer a single section solution as every joint is an opportunity for a leak.

Cheers
Glen

WillRace
22-06-11, 12:05 PM
Hi All,
A quick note to let JK owners now that we are having Samco make a Hose Kit to suit the JK Wrangler, Samco only make Kits for the Liberty at present, i have sent hoses to them to make the mandrels from, hoping they will be ready and arriving in the next month, i will contact the Admin and advertise them when they arrive.
Thanks
Mike

Miraz
22-06-11, 04:06 PM
Excellent - very interested in a Samco hose kit for the JK CRD