PDA

View Full Version : Damage to stock Stearing, stabaliser

Ash74
20-06-11, 05:32 PM
G'day

Just need some help / advise. After a great day or 4X4ing yesterday, and on the homeward stretch I have come over a crest and into a hole with a bit of a bang I have lost left hand stear. When pulled over I discoved that (as per photo) a bar has come off its support. This in turn droped the larger cross bar it was supporting on the left side and it had jamed itself on the bottom stabilser (i think thats what it is). Anyway after some frantic bush mechanics we got enough play to steer it to the closest main bitumen rd some five klms away. Once I hit the rd it had corrected itself even though the shorter bar is still disconected on the right hand side. I would just like to know what is the easiest way to get this back on and is it dangerous to drive disconected if I have to take it to the shop. Also would this be covered by warranty.

Steve F
20-06-11, 06:12 PM
That is your sway bar link, a very temporary fix is to disconnect the otherside and lift the swaybar up and out of the way and use some cable ties to support it. The jeep wont handle so well on the road as the front end will sway a lot more and it'll feel quite tippy into corners but it's not that big a deal if you drive to the conditions. Looks like the perfect oppertunity to get some sway bar disconnects. As an aside is that a JK? didn't realise they had such short links, my guess is you dont normally disconnect them and then taking it offroad and flexing it up more than most has caused the rubber bush in the center to fail.

Cheers
Steve

Dieselcon
20-06-11, 06:17 PM
I'm no expert but it looks like your swaybar has some how disconnected. I don't think it's a big deal but if you can't get it backon, strap it with cable ties so that you can't do more damage. Drive carefully to the repairer and don't go around corners fast as it will want to roll.

TRBN8R
20-06-11, 06:18 PM
Hi Ash,

The bar that is hanging loose is a sway bar link. It connects the swaybar (the steel rod thingy joining the chassis to the link) to the live axles. Its role is to prevent excessive body roll and provide stability while changing directions on the blacktop. The car can be driven but will handle like a boat and u will have to be very careful on the road. The link that has slipped off the bush and should be removed completely from its top mount (19mm spanner I think) to prevent it from swinging into your tire and making a hole in it while u drive. It is not advisable to try to fix the detached one as the body has slipped off the bush and it will most probably come off again.

Take this oppertunity to buy a set of JKS Quick disconnects from Wooders Garage (assuming ur Jeep is not already a Rubicon). Take them off when u r 4WDing and u will notice a lot more flex from ur suspension. If u want to stay stock u can have my swaybar links for free as I have gone JKS way and have the old links sitting in the garage gathering dust. I will even put them on ur Jeep.

Come over to the club meet next month and have a chat to some crazy Jeepers, I bet u will love it.

The next club meeting will be 7:30pm Wednesday the 6th of July at Dooleys Sports Club Regents Park. Entrance off Regent St. Regents Park

As usual visitors are very welcome.

Hope this helps.

Mani

stevet
20-06-11, 08:35 PM
Secure the sway bar link or even better, remove it completely until replaced as they can puncture your tyre or get caught up in the springs. If you do both sides, do the same and secure the swaybar itself out of the way Ever driven and old Ford, Holden etc before? Just a lot softer in the front so turn slower, brake sooner/lighter etc. Disconnects seem the way to go............. Have not seen that occur before on a JK?.......... Replace unit definitly but from pic No.2 you may be able to unbolt and re-insert if feasible. Larger steel washer's, then re-bolt on and drive real carefully till a permanent fix made.....................

Ash74
21-06-11, 11:05 AM
Thanks Heaps to all
Your prompt responses have helped heaps, in understanding the dynamics of the set up for future issues.
Thank you to Mani for your generous offer as the word Free does not occur to much these days. I have the truck in at Jeep today and will push for a warranty job as this should not have happened.
Should I be pushing for two brand new sway bar links as the rubber seals on both were ripped up?
I will be there on the 6th.

Ash74
21-06-11, 04:39 PM
Hi Ash,

The bar that is hanging loose is a sway bar link. It connects the swaybar (the steel rod thingy joining the chassis to the link) to the live axles. Its role is to prevent excessive body roll and provide stability while changing directions on the blacktop. The car can be driven but will handle like a boat and u will have to be very careful on the road. The link that has slipped off the bush and should be removed completely from its top mount (19mm spanner I think) to prevent it from swinging into your tire and making a hole in it while u drive. It is not advisable to try to fix the detached one as the body has slipped off the bush and it will most probably come off again.

Take this oppertunity to buy a set of JKS Quick disconnects from Wooders Garage (assuming ur Jeep is not already a Rubicon). Take them off when u r 4WDing and u will notice a lot more flex from ur suspension. If u want to stay stock u can have my swaybar links for free as I have gone JKS way and have the old links sitting in the garage gathering dust. I will even put them on ur Jeep.

Come over to the club meet next month and have a chat to some crazy Jeepers, I bet u will love it.

The next club meeting will be 7:30pm Wednesday the 6th of July at Dooleys Sports Club Regents Park. Entrance off Regent St. Regents Park

As usual visitors are very welcome.

Hope this helps.

Mani

Mani

Mate I have just heard back from the shop and because the truck has been modified they wont cover it under waranty. So can I please take you up on your spare pair and the help to put on. I cannot accept this for nothing so just let me know what you drink?. If I can save some cash in the meantime and get a pair of JKS disconnects will you be able to assist in helping me put on?

Once again thanks heaps.

TRBN8R
21-06-11, 08:18 PM
Mani

Mate I have just heard back from the shop and because the truck has been modified they wont cover it under waranty. So can I please take you up on your spare pair and the help to put on. I cannot accept this for nothing so just let me know what you drink?. If I can save some cash in the meantime and get a pair of JKS disconnects will you be able to assist in helping me put on?

Once again thanks heaps.

Just sent u a PM......

Regarding the JKS disconnects will be more than happy to help with that as well.......