PDA

View Full Version : Watagans Saturday 16th July

D.K.
22-06-11, 09:21 AM
Sorry guys - Trip cancelled due to ill health. See my last post on this thread.

Where -- Watagans State Forest
When -- Saturday 16th July
Meet -- Old weigh station, just north of Berowra by the F3.

map details: http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?2331-Stockton-Saturday-5th-March-2011

Time -- 8.30
Grade -- B/B+

Tracks that are in the crosshairs are:

Skull & Crossbones, Whitemans Ln, Cut Rock, possibly Zigzag and ?Tunks (seems to be wet and greasy during the winter months). These are more technical driving tracks for experienced drivers and a 3" lift and body armour is advisable.

Track update 29/6 : Skull & Crossbones is currently in bad nick due to debris washing onto the rock slabs from heavy rainfall. We MAY give that particular track a miss till conditions improve. Zigzag and Whitemans should be good to drive.

Requirements -- recovery points Front/Rear, recovery gear, radio, food/drink of choice, camera.
This run is limited to 8 vehicles including leader.............
Further info contact D.K. 0434 848 482

This is the next 28 day forecast hence the timing.
The trip will be cancelled or postponed if there is significant rainfall before the trip.
http://www.weatherzone.com.au/long-range-forecast/28-day-rain/nsw/hunter

Attending:

1. Dave @ D.K.
2. Andy & Charl @ Redrubi
3. Greg @ Greg D
4. Jason @ jbrad
5. HybridXJ ?
6. Kev @ kiwi kev
7. David @ aussiejk

Reserves

SKIZZI
22-06-11, 10:06 AM
Quick!!! Put my name down

Greg D
22-06-11, 10:06 AM
Dave,
I am interested in joining this trip, but maybe my TJ is not up to specifications. You saw it on Saturday - are you OK if I join you?
Greg

D.K.
22-06-11, 01:12 PM
Dave,
I am interested in joining this trip, but maybe my TJ is not up to specifications. You saw it on Saturday - are you OK if I join you?
Greg

Hi Greg,
take a look at this vid which covers some of the tracks we have in mind (but probably not Farrells):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhXmd8W9L9I

At 2:13 and elsewhere there is a white TJ on 32's with at least one locker which did very well and is similar spec to yours.
You will probably incur some scrapes and dints to your sill steps but if you are OK with that and i know you can drive a good line you should be good.
The top of Skull & Crossbones has got quite dug out and you MAY need a snatch at this point but thats no drama. Hope that helps.

jbrad
22-06-11, 02:03 PM
Yes please!

Greg D
22-06-11, 03:19 PM
Dave,

Thanks very much for the advice, and the link to the video. Very helpful. I'd like to give it a go, so please count me in for the trip.

Greg

Dieselcon
22-06-11, 05:52 PM
Okay. Slide my name in.....

Maybe by then might be running on 34" if bank account allows it

kiwi kev
22-06-11, 06:30 PM
count me in, thanks,kev

SKIZZI
22-06-11, 07:01 PM
Just watched the YouTube vid. Looks good Dave, can't wait.

aussiejk
22-06-11, 07:36 PM
put me down.. please

Mitch
22-06-11, 08:45 PM
I,ll put me hand up for this trip,not sure if the Mrs has other plans or we have a club trip on that w/end.I,ll find out and let you know.

D.K.
22-06-11, 09:18 PM
I,ll put me hand up for this trip,not sure if the Mrs has other plans or we have a club trip on that w/end.I,ll find out and let you know.

I'll put you down on the reserve list as financial club members get preference :p

stevet
22-06-11, 10:34 PM
Yes please, but depends on situation at time, but will let you know well before hand.................

jbrad
23-06-11, 07:25 PM
Okay. Slide my name in.....

Maybe by then might be running on 34" if bank account allows it

What brand of rubber you looking at Jose?

Dieselcon
23-06-11, 10:52 PM
Not sure... I guess whatever fits on the standard wheels.... Any suggestion would be appreciated?
35 " Would be nice!

tonysrich
24-06-11, 01:46 AM
Not sure... I guess whatever fits on the standard wheels.... Any suggestion would be appreciated?
35 " Would be nice!

Could I please get put down for this trip?

BTW I run a set of BFG KM2 Mud Terrains and I'm pretty happy with them. They have a three ply side wall so you can run them at very low pressures. I've had them as low as 8psi on a gnarly steep technical climb and traction was never an issue (unfortunately my driving was). You will need bead locks though if you want to explore the traction possibilities that the tyres are capable of at very low pressures. I have pneumatic bead locks and they work a treat but they also cost a bomb. They should last forever though and I discovered that they also work well as a run flat device both on and of road when I didn't screw in a valve properly.

redrubi
28-06-11, 08:39 PM
Yes PLEASE as an extremely willing reserve!!!
Cheers
Andy & Charl

SKIZZI
29-06-11, 12:53 PM
Really looking forward to Attempting scull & crossbones *now that Im gonna have 35 spline chromo axles in the rear :)

*that's if we attempt it :-/

reyzor
29-06-11, 02:12 PM
Could I please get put down for this trip?

BTW I run a set of BFG KM2 Mud Terrains and I'm pretty happy with them. They have a three ply side wall so you can run them at very low pressures. I've had them as low as 8psi on a gnarly steep technical climb and traction was never an issue (unfortunately my driving was). You will need bead locks though if you want to explore the traction possibilities that the tyres are capable of at very low pressures. I have pneumatic bead locks and they work a treat but they also cost a bomb. They should last forever though and I discovered that they also work well as a run flat device both on and of road when I didn't screw in a valve properly.

im not sure they will fit on a standard wheel though.......

reyzor
29-06-11, 02:13 PM
35 " Would be nice!

i think you may be hard pressed to find a 34 inch tire to fit onto a standard wheel....

aussiejk
29-06-11, 04:12 PM
I run 35x12.5 cooper sst on stock rim have them down low as 12psi no problem what so ever

aussiejk
29-06-11, 04:15 PM
Track update 29/6 : Skull & Crossbones is currently in bad nick due to debris washing onto the rock slabs from heavy rainfall. We MAY give this one a miss till conditions improve

So is the trip cancelled or just going on this track

D.K.
29-06-11, 04:18 PM
So is the trip cancelled or just going on this track

No, just that particular track, will re-edit to remove the ambiguity.

reyzor
29-06-11, 04:21 PM
I run 35x12.5 cooper sst on stock rim have them down low as 12psi no problem what so ever

does it rub anywhere?

Aaron
29-06-11, 06:40 PM
shame these is only 8 spots. seems like alot of interest for this trip.
being only B trails. Should be able to get a fair few more jeeps through quickly.

Mitch
29-06-11, 06:59 PM
being only B trails. Should be able to get a fair few more jeeps through quickly.
These b grade trails snapped Dana 44 axles on the w/end and several long winch recoveries were required.We left the Watagans at app 8.30 pm.
More vehicles would have meant more reco,s and time.It don,t take much for it all to go pear shaped.I want to go to but i think 8 is enough.

Aaron
29-06-11, 07:14 PM
can always split it up into a couple of groups if things go wrong.
i guess braking an axel could happen at anytime. (stressed from a previous trip for example)

stevet
29-06-11, 08:38 PM
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Aaron http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?p=25576)

These b grade trails snapped Dana 44 axles on the w/end and several long winch recoveries were required.We left the Watagans at app 8.30 pm.
More vehicles would have meant more reco,s and time.It don,t take much for it all to go pear shaped.I want to go to but i think 8 is enough.
The trip vehicle limits are set by the trip leader/organiser for that run and they will set number limits to which they feel comfortable with getting through the run depending on the grading for the run usually through post experience's on runs there/elsewhere.......... Stephen T.

aussiejk
30-06-11, 03:50 PM
does it rub anywhere?

No rubbing at all... but i do run 1.5' wheel spacers and they just fit uner the stock flares too

reyzor
30-06-11, 04:16 PM
AHHHH thats where your trick is.... lol

if you didnt run the spacers would it rub with normal driving? (not off orad)......trying to figure out how to engineer 37's on a car without increasing track width

SKIZZI
30-06-11, 05:41 PM
Any reserves on the list keep an eye out a few days before the trip as I'm waiting for axles to come from the states and if they are not here by the 13/14th I'll pull out.

aussiejk
05-07-11, 04:00 PM
AHHHH thats where your trick is.... lol

if you didnt run the spacers would it rub with normal driving? (not off orad)......trying to figure out how to engineer 37's on a car without increasing track width

don't know havent tried i know someone who ran 33x12.5mtz on stock rim they there was a slight rub on the swaybar. you can always adjust the steering stops...

aussiejk
05-07-11, 05:22 PM
the meeting point for this trip is that the bit on the side of the F3 just after the mooney mooney bridge?

D.K.
05-07-11, 07:23 PM
the meeting point for this trip is that the bit on the side of the F3 just after the mooney mooney bridge?

No, take the F3 to the Berowra exit, then up the Pacific Highway for a couple of K's to the meeting point

Theres a map on this link:
(pasted on page 1 as well)
http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?2331-Stockton-Saturday-5th-March-2011

Hybridxj
06-07-11, 12:39 PM
Can I be put on the list as tentative? If there are spaces available I wouldn't mind going for the run, but still have some adjustments to make before hand so may not be ready in time!

aussiejk
06-07-11, 05:34 PM
aaarrrrhhhhh whoops didn't mean to post this in this thread

Dieselcon
09-07-11, 08:59 AM
Take me off the list please... Maybe next time
Cheers

tonysrich
13-07-11, 05:18 PM
I have to drop out, mechanical woes

stevet
13-07-11, 08:24 PM
Drop me from the list unfortunately.:(....Limited driving presently eeerrr....:o.......:)...

SKIZZI
14-07-11, 08:18 AM
Really sorry DK. You know how much I was looking forward to this trip but the truck won't be ready. F#*k!! Gotta pull out.

Ps please do another watagans trip soon ;)

D.K.
14-07-11, 09:16 AM
Really sorry DK. You know how much I was looking forward to this trip but the truck won't be ready. F#*k!! Gotta pull out.

Ps please do another watagans trip soon ;)

No worries, mate. Another trip soon for sure.
Yikes, people are dropping off the list like flies!
Will do a rain check on Friday and take it from there.

aussiejk
14-07-11, 04:35 PM
I'm still in.... Can't wait....

Mitch
14-07-11, 09:21 PM
I,ve fitted a trans case drop kit to me XJ to stop vibes from last trip out there while i await the arival of my new SYE kit.This has cost me some clearance and means i prolly won,t climb these trails with as much success.After all the recoverys and breakages of last trip i don,t wanna tempt fate by going out under prepaired.Scratch me from the list,have a good trip.

D.K.
14-07-11, 10:39 PM
I,ve fitted a trans case drop kit to me XJ to stop vibes from last trip out there while i await the arival of my new SYE kit.This has cost me some clearance and means i prolly won,t climb these trails with as much success.After all the recoverys and breakages of last trip i don,t wanna tempt fate by going out under prepaired.Scratch me from the list,have a good trip.

Mitch, No worries, hope to see you on a trip with the usual suspects (XJ Jorg, Kizzo and TJ Ragtop), sometime.

aussiejk
15-07-11, 11:42 AM
is there anyone going to be stopping in at the Macca at thornliegh? As I am unfamilar the he area and can't put the meeting point in the nav man? If so what time do you think you will be there? so i can follow you there?

Greg D
15-07-11, 12:32 PM
is there anyone going to be stopping in at the Macca at thornliegh? As I am unfamilar the he area and can't put the meeting point in the nav man? If so what time do you think you will be there? so i can follow you there?

Normally I could, but tomorrow I'm picking up a friend. Maybe someone else can meet at Thornleigh, but just in case you don't get any takers...

If you get onto the F3, take the second exit - Berowra , turn left at the top of the off ramp, right onto Pacific Highway, for 3 km, then keep on the Pacific Highway (veer left) at the sign that says LEFT: Pacific Highway, Cowan, Brooklyn, or RIGHT Freeway, Gosford, Newcastle. About 300 metres after the sign/intersection, turn right off the highway into the old weigh station. I think there is also access off the Freeway on-road, but going in from the highway is safer in case you miss the turn in.

aussiejk
15-07-11, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the directions

SKIZZI
15-07-11, 01:59 PM
Hey DK if the trip is postponed because of youknowwhat make sure to put me on the new list for the next date my axles arrived in customs today. Probably get delivered on Monday.

aussiejk
15-07-11, 02:08 PM
Hey DK if the trip is postponed because of youknowwhat make sure to put me on the new list for the next date my axles arrived in customs today. Probably get delivered on Monday.

Put me on the new list too if it comes down to cancelling the trip. due to weather...

D.K.
15-07-11, 02:35 PM
Hi Guys,
I know this is late in the day but in the last 24 hours ive developed pretty unpleasant flu symptoms, feeling weak, blah, blah. Given the average weather conditions and the fact im not really up to leading a trip i am going to cancel this trip. Apologies to people that have locked in the saturday for a days wheelin'.

If anybody wishes to step up to lead an alternative please be my guest:)

Dave K

aussiejk
15-07-11, 04:09 PM
I don't know the watagans area but would anyone be interested going to zig zag or wheeny creek.... I would be happy to do run to these places if anyone is interested or if someone is happy to take over from dk would also be fine

aussiejk
15-07-11, 04:42 PM
if anyone is intrested in attending I'll run a trip to wheeny creek tomorrow details here http://www.sydneyjeepclub.com/showthread.php?2561-Wheeny-Creek-Tomorrow-15-07-11 SMS me if you wanna come will try and visit site as much as can for updates on people attending my number is 0414820586

kiwi kev
15-07-11, 04:59 PM
I did wheeny creek last Sundays trip, fantastic track , enjoy

aussiejk
15-07-11, 05:13 PM
I did wheeny creek last Sundays trip, fantastic track , enjoy

Yeah I know one of my fav spots come join in if you like

Hunno
15-07-11, 06:32 PM
one of mine too, but the grand is still off the road. hoping to be ready 3-4 weeks

jbrad
15-07-11, 07:31 PM
Too bad about the weather, I'll see you all next time. Be safe if any of you still get out. Jas

redrubi
15-07-11, 08:12 PM
Sorry to hear about the Flu D.K, Charlene has it too!

Next time sounds good!

Get better mate

Cheers

Andy & Charl

Greg D
15-07-11, 10:09 PM
DK, Sorry to hear that you are not well.

David,
I'll join you for Wheeny Creek, thanks. I'll be at Richmond Maccas by 8 am. I'll SMS you.
See you in the morning.
Greg

D.K.
16-07-11, 12:14 AM
Thanks guys, yeah i feel like crap>:(.
Have a good day tomorrow