PDA

View Full Version : Overheating on 98 XJ JEEP CHEROKEE 4.0lt

Gordo
23-06-11, 08:48 PM
Have replaced the radiater, water pump, thermostat and fan clutch.
All fans are working but it's still running hot.
Should i put more thermo fans on? Any suggestions - type and size??
Cheers
Gordo

Steve F
23-06-11, 10:46 PM
any bubbling in the radiator with the engine running? could be head gasket leak. Get a radiator place to put a sniffer in it to check for exhaust gases. Does it run hot at idle or on the freeway or all the time. What do you consider hot on the gauge.

Cheers
Steve

Gordo
24-06-11, 12:07 AM
Hey Steve,
It runs hot all the time - 100 on the gauge. Down the beach gets hotter very quickly.
Will check the bubbling.
Gordo

Steve F
24-06-11, 12:13 AM
100c on the gauge isn't hot for an XJ, the thermostat doesn't even open until around 90c, in fact 95-100 is normal :) Do you airdown on the beach and run in low range?

Cheers
Steve

85cj7
24-06-11, 10:11 AM
Does it boil over? That is when you know it truly is running 'hot'.

Do you have a winch or big bull bar blocking air flow in front of the grill? Any additional mods we need to know about? Is your gauge working correctly?

Gordo
24-06-11, 12:51 PM
Not bubbling in the radiater, do airdown on the beach but dont normally use low range unless really soft - should I use low range all the time on the beach?? When on the beach last time it did overheat - gauge at it's hottest and boiling over. Spotties ( 8-10" ) and standard roo bar on front - doesn't seem to be blocking airflow. No other additions. Thermo fan is always kicking in even when car is first started. Pretty sure gauge is working ok. Gauge goes to 100 and sits on that once car is warm - highway driving and around town. Should I put a oil cooler on auto transmission - will that help?

Steve F
24-06-11, 01:01 PM
It should have an oil cooler already but it's pretty small, a larger one would certainly help. As an aside I'm running 35's with 4.56 ratios, bar, winch spotties etc and no overheating problems. I run in low on the beach if it's soft (stockton) occasionally in high but no real need to get those sort of speeds most of the time. If you have the aircon on or the demister on the thermo fan will kick in and out all the time. With the Aircon off it should only kick in at 105c and back off around 100c.

What size tyres are you running, any other mods or pretty much stock?

Cheers
Steve

Gordo
24-06-11, 02:30 PM
Hey Steve,

It's all stock at the moment - have put a 2inch lift kit on, aircon does run all the time - which explains the fan kicking in and out.
Tyres are on standard rims - havent long had the jeep so just starting work on it.
Will look at a bigger oil cooler. Will a snorkel make it run cooler?

Gordo

Steve F
24-06-11, 02:37 PM
The snorkel wont make it run cooler but I find mine ran better when I put it on, the intake was cooler and the engine would not 'ping' on hot days or under heavy load. Previously to stop this I had to run on premium. Not an issue after the snorkel was added. Does it still boil on the beach after you're changes to the cooling system?

Cheers
Steve

Gordo
24-06-11, 06:27 PM
Heading to the beach this weekend to check it out - thanks for your advise, will let you know how I go.
Cheers
Gordo