PDA

View Full Version : Best Tyre size for JK Sport with 2" OME

Ash74
28-06-11, 04:41 PM
G'day

As this is the best place for advise, I am looking at changing my Original rims and tyres, I have been quoted 17x8 Steel rims and 285/70R/17 tyres. If I went with this do I have to change anything else. Or is there a better alternative, I want to keep the car within insurence and warranty standards as I have 3 years left. The car does 250klms a week on mainly feeway, and gets out in the bush at least 3 time a month. I am also open to alternatives as people will sell you anything these days.

reyzor
28-06-11, 05:31 PM
check with jeep before doing any suspension work...... unless it is their own brand (lovells) some dealers are very reluctant to carry out warranty work.

are you looking to get your car engineered? you shouldnt need with with a 2 inch lift, however the OME lift does give you closer to 3-4 inches.....which in turn could make your car "unroadworthy"

anything over a 2 inch lift id look long and hard at adjustable control arms, panhard rods and extended brake lines..... to correct your castor, and reduce the chance of the dreaded JK death wobble....

now that ive scared the crap outta ya :P ............ you havent mentioned if you have a 2 door or 4 door, petrol or deisel?

Rob&Tanya
28-06-11, 10:21 PM
Hi have ordered a set of 16x8 steel rims as these will fit the JK Wrangler, also have the OME 2" lift (it now only gives about 2" as they have changed the spring so new kit don't get the 3-4" lift)

you have a lot more choices of tires with 16's

as for tires looking at baja claws and 35's if they fit and dont rub

will keep originals rims/tires for day to day and only run the muddies for trips

cheers Rob

Ash74
29-06-11, 04:22 PM
Reyzor

4 door V6, i am ordering 2" JRS sway bar disconnects as i am sure now that the suspension has been on for a year that it has levelled out to 2" not the 3'' it looked the day I picked it up.
Any advise on the rims and tyre combo?

reyzor
29-06-11, 04:28 PM
rims and tires are a personal preferance...... i run AEV beadlocked wheel with a 37 inch procomp tire, and i love it.....

i used to run 35 inch MTZ's which are a great tire too......but again, tis personal pref......

rob, are you getting the new TTC claw?

Rob&Tanya
29-06-11, 06:27 PM
still waiting on rims and have had other expenses so will be a couple of months till i get the rubber so maybe

i heard they where releasing a new claw

cheers rob

Steve F
29-06-11, 06:31 PM
still waiting on rims and have had other expenses so will be a couple of months till i get the rubber so maybe

i heard they where releasing a new claw

cheers rob

Heidi and Brian have the new claw on thier TJ, looks good maybe have a peek at the next meeting. They told me they are very happy with them so far.

Cheers
Steve

Ash74
29-06-11, 07:45 PM
Yer, guys I was just after some advise, pretty much how big can I go without having to spend a heap on other stuff. If I go 35's is there anything that I MUST do. I'm not after brands at this stage as I can do my own reserch on that once I choose the size.

TRBN8R
29-06-11, 10:39 PM
If its a manual it has 3.21 diff ratios, and for auto 3.73.... to run 35s comfortably u need to regear to 4.56. Thats another expense on top of tyres. with 285/70/17 u r going only 0.7 inch extra in diameter so not much stress on diffs also easy to engineer....... Tallk to Hunty on this matter, he has come from running 35s to 285/70/17s......

Final choice is yours but..

reyzor
30-06-11, 09:27 AM
ratios as mani said..... 35's may also want you to beef up the front diff, (truss etc)..... rememeber that you will loose some braking efficiency to, so this may be something to look into....

MOP44R
01-07-11, 02:39 PM
35's you dont really have to strengthen anything, Ive ran them for 3 years on 17" MY Classic II, with 35X12.5 MTZ... You will need to change ratios though, I run 3.56 and there unreal.

Only really have to start strengthening if you plan on putting in a from locker, then its advisable...

reyzor
01-07-11, 03:22 PM
yeah true...... i take it you mean 4.56's.....

MOP44R
04-07-11, 02:24 PM
Yes 4.56... :)

Heidi
04-07-11, 05:48 PM
We have the Baja Claw TCC since the June long weekend previously we have had 3 sets of Cooper STTs So far they have been excellent both on road and off road. They seem to be a bit quieter than the Coopers and also are much more stable on the dirt.

We also recently put the new OME 200kg constant rated springs in the back and that made a huge difference with the back of the jeep sagging - even when fully loaded on the long weekend it did not sag to much..have not put the camper on yet but should tow better again to.

When I first lifted the TJ it was 6 months old and the dealer commented how much more stable it drove since the lift. I had some major warranty work done when the jeep was 2 years old and it was at a different dealer as Jeep assist just towed the jeep to the nearest dealer. They had no problems with completing the work under warranty - although it took 2 months for some parts to arrive. I think we worked out it would have cost them around $5-$6 thousand to complete all the damage from the rear uni breaking.