PDA

View Full Version : My Cherokee needs a new engine

Bennett77
10-07-11, 02:03 PM
Hi there, i have come here for some help... last year i bought a second hand Jeep - 2002 Cherokee Limited KJ and have just been told that i need a complete new engine (devastating) as the engine has seized.... I am needless to say devastated and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to do and where may be able to help me decide what the best plan of action is.

Thanks so much in advance.

glend
10-07-11, 03:25 PM
I assume it's a V6 and not the CRD. Probably not worth the labour charges to get it rebuilt, and you won't know what is damaged. You can find crate engines for the V6 replacement. You could try Jeep Parts Recyclers, based in QLd I think, maybe Poly 4x4 and there is a place in Nowra as well. Keep a watch on ebay because I see V6s on there all the time. Use " Jeep Cherokee KJ" in your ebay search. There was one on there a few days ago but its gone today, watch over the next week.

Steve F
10-07-11, 03:31 PM
I'm assuming it was an oil issue and lost oil/over heated to seize? or did it drop a valve and have a physical condition to seize. Either way that would mean a rebore of the cylinders etc and over size pistons as well as some work on the heads. When it comes down to it I dont think you'll find a cheap way out unless you can pick up a second hand engine from a wreck and do the work yourself. I see Jeep Engine Australia are selling KJ engine for around $5200 but that's a long block so needs all the ancillarys swapped over etc and a fair bit of work to fit it.

Cheers
Steve

Bennett77
10-07-11, 04:32 PM
Thanks so much for your reply - yes it was the V6 ...i'll keep my eyes out on ebay! It's looking like i'll have to get rid of it sadly as I'm just not sure i can justify the money on it that i don't really have!

In your opinion would it be best to try and get rid of it to a wrecker or on ebay? I'm pretty novice to all this stuff...

Thanks again for taking the time out to reply!

I assume it's a V6 and not the CRD. Probably not worth the labour charges to get it rebuilt, and you won't know what is damaged. You can find crate engines for the V6 replacement. You could try Jeep Parts Recyclers, based in QLd I think, maybe Poly 4x4 and there is a place in Nowra as well. Keep a watch on ebay because I see V6s on there all the time. Use " Jeep Cherokee KJ" in your ebay search. There was one on there a few days ago but its gone today, watch over the next week.

Bennett77
10-07-11, 04:35 PM
Thanks for replying to me Steve - It was an oil issue by the previous owner apparently... Not enough grease and oil changes. I think i'm going to have to cut my losses and sell it for parts sadly... I'd love to hear any advice you have in the best way/place to go about that....!! What a nightmare!!!!!

Thanks again for replying - much appreciated!!
JB

I'm assuming it was an oil issue and lost oil/over heated to seize? or did it drop a valve and have a physical condition to seize. Either way that would mean a rebore of the cylinders etc and over size pistons as well as some work on the heads. When it comes down to it I dont think you'll find a cheap way out unless you can pick up a second hand engine from a wreck and do the work yourself. I see Jeep Engine Australia are selling KJ engine for around $5200 but that's a long block so needs all the ancillarys swapped over etc and a fair bit of work to fit it.

Cheers
Steve

Jaffas
10-07-11, 07:52 PM
If you are after a 2nd hand engine, can try mascot motors, they often have them

Bennett77
11-07-11, 12:36 AM
Thanks! i'll give them a call :)