PDA

View Full Version : JKS blowing tyres......

TRBN8R
15-09-11, 07:57 AM
Hi guys,

Went 4wdig yesterday with some friends yesterday...... One JK unltd with 2inch spring lift, JKS discos blew two front passenger side tyres in a matter of 10 minutes. Both blowouts happened on full flex, trying to turn hard right. We were too busy to take any pics of the thingy but we realised that if we try to turn right at full flex with sway bar disconnected and pushed to the highest spot the passenger side JK tyre will make contact with the upper swaybar pin. He was running factory tyres with paperthin sidewalls, that made the things worse.

I tried to simulate the same on my Jeep and the sway bar pin almost came in contact wih my tyre as well. I am thinking on extending the bumpstops by 2 inches to stop the tyre going up that high. Has it happened to anyone else here...... Any suggestions??????

Also can some one guide me how to make cheap bumpstop extensions......

In the mean time guys running similiar setup be careful if u encounter a similiar situation........

Cheers

Mani

Hunno
15-09-11, 08:24 AM
I remember it happening to a young guy out on his first run with us at Zig Zag 5 minutes into the trip, he gave up & went home. Never remembered seeing him again. You were there as you had the 12v rattle gun.

TRBN8R
15-09-11, 09:10 AM
I remember it happening to a young guy out on his first run with us at Zig Zag 5 minutes into the trip, he gave up & went home. Never remembered seeing him again. You were there as you had the 12v rattle gun.

I remember him... MAT85.... I think. He just undid the bottom of the factory swaybar link and tied it up with a cable tie..... the link got loose somewhere and swung into his tyre........ but this is a JKS swaybar disconnect and is supposed to be disconnected........

stevet
15-09-11, 03:28 PM
On the ZJ the "suggested mounting points for the upper retaining bullet bolts where vulnerable ++(lost x2) when raised/larger tyres added. Solved this by getting the upper retaining bolt tack welded a little further from the spot that they were recommending and then just screwed the bullet bit back on.. Also about x2 washers added to the steering block bolt will help so the wheel will not hit the upper retaining pin/s on full lock -- slightly larger turning circle is the only trade off.......
Cheap bump stop -- Small rubber mallet (or 2), cut to size (in half roughly), drill bolt hole in mallet rubber, remove existing B/stop, add extra bit of mallet rubber and re-bolt with correct sized H/T bolt................ Or get longer bump stops anyway......Lol...............
The young guy left the link itself still attached to the swaybar (I think?), which will easily puncture a side wall or two in no time if left on as seen on the odd occassion............

TRBN8R
18-09-11, 05:39 PM
Hi Guys,

Been pointed at AJOR that as per the latest JKS manual the swaybar has to be left parallel to the chassis and secured there not moved up...... where as the swaybar in question was moved up high.... wasn't JKS fault at all.............

SKIZZI
20-09-11, 12:06 AM
yep if lifted too high the pins make contact. mine did. lucky i got no blowouts

i found the best solution was to leave the passenger side connected and only disconect the drivers side. solved all my problems. what i did is i disconected drivers side and flexed it on a local "ramp" and turned full lock. then while flexed i got under and adjusted the passenger link until i got it as high as possible without it making contact with the tire. now when im offroad i leave the passenger side connected