PDA

View Full Version : Laredo Feedback

Narira
23-09-11, 10:40 PM
I have been looking to update my tow rig and considering Prado or Pajero until I stumbled upon a review of the GC Laredo CRD. They almost seem to be too good to be true!
I would appreciate some feedback from owners, particularly in respect to reliability and suitability as a
towing vehicle.

aussiejk
24-09-11, 09:40 AM
They are still only new on the market but if they are like previous models they will be reliable rigs

Narira
24-09-11, 03:18 PM
They are still only new on the market but if they are like previous models they will be reliable rigs

Thanks for the feedback aussiejk, I guess time will tell. My perception of previous Jeep build quality and reliability has been influenced by public perception and the inevitable rumor mill generated horror stories that often surface at the mention of the Jeep brand in Jap circles. I joined this site to get the opinion and experiences of Jeep owners so that I can get some balance into the decision making process for my next rig.

I would dearly love to drive something apart from the run of the mill boring Jap machines and the Laredo CRD seems to tick most boxes.

AussieCJ7
25-09-11, 11:02 AM
The new grand Cherokee is miles away from previous models all reports I have heard it makes the gap models sit up and look and was a stand out winner for 4x4 of the year

Quality control seems to have lifted too

SteveC
25-09-11, 12:44 PM
They look smart but have gone a bit soft. They are not as good off-road as others lesser vehicle in the same category. The restriction of tyres sizes and lift and accessories will hurt the traditional Jeep buyer. But in saying that - They would make a great tourer with some mild mods.

Narira
25-09-11, 03:46 PM
The new grand Cherokee is miles away from previous models all reports I have heard it makes the gap models sit up and look and was a stand out winner for 4x4 of the year

Thanks for the comment AussieCJ7, sounds encouraging.

stevet
25-09-11, 05:27 PM

Donn't forget to mention the price compared to anything close to it................... My physio, tried one out for a test drive very recently!....... He can not wait till his present lease on his $60,000.00+ Perjero runs out in 15 months..... he stated it did not compare to the jeep.. Mostly road driving and a little off-road to go fishing is his go......................, and his expanding family......Lol...........

Narira
25-09-11, 06:05 PM
They look smart but have gone a bit soft. They are not as good off-road as others lesser vehicle in the same category. The restriction of tyres sizes and lift and accessories will hurt the traditional Jeep buyer. But in saying that - They would make a great tourer with some mild mods.

Thanks for that SteveC, I don't think I'm looking at the the level of off road work you experience, so the limitations you mention might not be crucial for my usage. For eg. I currently use a Mazda BT50 fitted with a AHA camper conversion for remote trips after parking the 17ft off road Jayco. The ute has done the job having been to the Cape on two occasions, done the CSR, Gibbs River Road, Simpson Desert etc. Without difficulty.
What 'minor mods' did you have in mind? I currently run BFG/AT on the Mazda and they seem to do the job, are they comaptible with Cherokee?

Narira
25-09-11, 06:15 PM
Donn't forget to mention the price compared to anything close to it................... My physio, tried one out for a test drive very recently!....... He can not wait till his present lease on his $60,000.00+ Perjero runs out in 15 months..... he stated it did not compare to the jeep.. Mostly road driving and a little off-road to go fishing is his go......................, and his expanding family......Lol...........

Thanks stevet, that's the sort of info that helps since the Pajero was on my list.
If I can prize the wife out of her Subaru Liberty, I would like to just have the one set of wheels to do both jobs, tugging the van, a bit of remote off road travel, mostly on formed roads, plus our regular 400k highway trips to Sydney and Canberra. The Cherokee is sounding better and better!