PDA

View Full Version : My 96 XJ

Negdriver
21-10-11, 08:09 PM
Hi all,

My current jeep is a 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport.

I'm going to keep most of it stock since I'm only going out on B ish C trips.

ECB Bullbar
Rear bar - looking at getting the wooders one
Already has a 2" lift - I think
31's
Looking for a snorkel as well.

Just need to get my hands on some recovery hooks and recovery gear.
So much for the "bug" :P

If anyone thinks I need to change something that may go wrong feel free to let me know :D
This is a 1st for me

Steve F
21-10-11, 08:36 PM
Some simple things you could do are make some homemade swaybar disconnects for the front (google will turn some instructions up for that) and upgrade the tyre to something a bit more agressive, those two things will make a huge difference to it's performance offroad :)

Cheers
Steve

stevet
21-10-11, 09:08 PM
Yes disconnects, tyres & sliders (just in case..Lol.)

Look' nice anyway Tam. You were warned about the "Jeep bug" thing.............. Stephen

Negdriver
21-10-11, 09:45 PM
Yeah I'm looking around for bits and pieces. Misses wants nothing to do with it lol

Wolfe
22-10-11, 12:34 PM
Hi Negdriver and welcome, My Xj is a 96 model also, good reliable workhorse. Drive it as is for a while before deciding what you need. No good building a rock monster to go touring. Id start decent set of rubber and recovery points (looks like your half way there) definitely disconnects
Enjoy!!

Negdriver
22-10-11, 03:33 PM
Hi Negdriver and welcome, My Xj is a 96 model also, good reliable workhorse. Drive it as is for a while before deciding what you need. No good building a rock monster to go touring. Id start decent set of rubber and recovery points (looks like your half way there) definitely disconnects
Enjoy!!

Recovery points :D top of my to do list.

And thanks for the welcomes.

Negdriver
08-12-11, 10:36 PM
Thanks to work giving me a promotion to get back out into the field (Gas Technician) I can start to make some plans towards an XJ that will get me out of trouble if I'm stuck anywhere.
My main goal is to make it into a road tripper. So having a work vehicle will help to get everything fitted without trying to take the old girl home when it's not finished.

I've now gotten the basics down which includes the CB, snorkel, deflator, air pump, basic tools and basic recovery gear.
Rock sliders still haven't had time to put them on...

Mechanically... Had the diff noise "fixed" and getting the LPG balancing pipe work done today.

Thanks to wooders for taking the time to fill out a quote for me.
Going to start moving towards getting a 3.5" lift with D comp rims and 35's
Chrysler 8.25 LSD diff as well.
Already have a winch bar planned and waiting on the rear bar to come in.

Made some small plans to fit out the rear which includes taking out the rear seats for more space.
Thinking of either a barrier net or cargo barrier.
Also trying to get a quote for a rhino rack to carry the larger equipment on the roof eg, jerry cans, hi lift, lights etc..

As I like playing with computers at home, I'm planning on getting a pre-built PC system with a touch screen.
The reason I'm heading this way is because I want to use the following while road tripping.
GPS with trip planning, Video recording and photo snapshots, Music, Movies, Scan gauge, Internet with the proper use of USB ports.
Not many pads out there that can do all that in 1 hit.

My plan so far...:emmersed:

Another 2-3 months before I get started but will be fun getting it all together.

Steve F
09-12-11, 12:39 AM
My Android tablet does all those things, although it does depend on what you want to do with the USB ports but with so much built into a tablet ou dont really need any USB ports. I do have a USB OTG cable which lets me connect a 32GB USB key if I want or an USB SD card reader or even the camera to transfer pics. I had a Car PC (for about 4 years and only took it out yesterday) but prefer the much better screen and portability of the Android tablet, the typical liliput touch screen cannot compete with a tablet for quality and price.

Have a look at Torque (On Android) to replace the scan gauge stuff, my scan gauge sits in the tool box and hasn't been used for months.

For the camera recording, webcams are pretty average, I plan to put in a couple of Wifi wireless cameras, one for reversing and possibly more. I'll sort that out over the christmas break. I can also record straight out of the front with the built in 5MP camera built into the tablet.

Here's the Android tablet.

Running street mapping

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/IMG_2844.jpg

Running Bluetooth ODBII connection for the live gauges. Tons more gauges to pic from

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/IMG_2841.jpg

And the Car PC I took out, street mapping is limited on a PC, tons of options on Android, this is Garmin Mobile PC, no longer available :(

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/CarPC/IMG_0321.jpg

Gauges

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/CarPC/IMG_0317.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Negdriver
09-12-11, 06:22 AM
My Android tablet does all those things, although it does depend on what you want to do with the USB ports but with so much built into a tablet ou dont really need any USB ports. I do have a USB OTG cable which lets me connect a 32GB USB key if I want or an USB SD card reader or even the camera to transfer pics. I had a Car PC (for about 4 years and only took it out yesterday) but prefer the much better screen and portability of the Android tablet, the typical liliput touch screen cannot compete with a tablet for quality and price.

Have a look at Torque (On Android) to replace the scan gauge stuff, my scan gauge sits in the tool box and hasn't been used for months.

For the camera recording, webcams are pretty average, I plan to put in a couple of Wifi wireless cameras, one for reversing and possibly more. I'll sort that out over the christmas break. I can also record straight out of the front with the built in 5MP camera built into the tablet.

Cheers
Steve

Yeah I saw your post on AJOR and it looked good. But I didn't know you could add wireless cameras to the xoom. Only problem I'm having now is a 5MP camera. I prefer something a little higher.
What's the vid recording like on the 5mp cam Steve?

Negdriver
12-01-12, 11:17 PM
Well, looks like the plans have changed yet again. But this time it's staying.
Decided on a 4.5" lift and have gone the way of Steve F's setup with the Android.

It's a Jeep thing I suppose :smile-new: