PDA

View Full Version : CB radio recommendations

Wolfe
30-10-11, 12:08 PM
Can anyone recommend a good brand of CB radio. I've seen the Omnicom and GME range but have no idea what's any good

sbadman
30-10-11, 12:26 PM
Icom. I have the IC400-Pro and it's a great unit. The ones in store now should have the 80ch upgrade already installed.

To substantiate that :D The 400 is essentially a commercial transceiver programmed for unlicensed UHF CB operation. The hardware is designed to run at 25W but the UHF programming reduces that to 5W (legal limit). It is technically possibly to reprogram it to 25W on the UHF band, but I doubt many dealers will be keen to do that.... Not to mention it's physically a very solid unit!

Dave
30-10-11, 01:35 PM
I also have an Icom - but it is a handheld 41S. I went that way because I didn't want to build one in. It is still 5 watt, and I can unscrew the antenna and attach it to an external antenna via a fly lead. It has a car charger and spare battery, so I just swap them out one day each... I have used this system on several big trips and heaps of little ones and it works fine.

Definately recommend Icom as a brand! Believe TJM stocks them as well as GME. Got mine from a CB communications company in Strathfield.

Dave

Negdriver
30-10-11, 04:43 PM
Ahh thanks for reminding me... another item to my to do/buy list :D

SteveC
30-10-11, 04:56 PM
As an idea - look at www.prestigecom.net.au.
Has most and you can compare prices etc

TRBN8R
30-10-11, 05:44 PM
Hi Guys,

If u plan too do it on a limited budget I have the following Oricom combo in my car and happy to report no troubles at all.... and the radio comes with a 3 year warranty......

Radio http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-ORICOM-UHF100-COMPACT-5-WATT-UHF-CB-RADIO-/250919023546?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item3a6bf073ba

Antenna http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLEXI-UHF-CB-FLEXIBLE-DIPOLE-ANTENNA-3dB-GAIN-/280755900816?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item415e5b1190

Antenna is ground independant so can be mounted any where and its a 3 watt so gives an excellent coverage over the hills.....

Cheers
Mani

Cpage66
30-10-11, 06:01 PM
I've got a Uniden unit where it's just the slimline head unit showing with the display with the main body tucked under the dash. Tiny and a bit discreet where it's mounted and it's out of the way but right there at the same time.

Steve F
30-10-11, 06:25 PM
I have a remote head GME, been in there for 9 years with no problems at all and good reception etc. I am looking at upgrading it to a 80 channel one shortly though and will probably go for another remote head unit just for the security of having the main body hidden and the small amount of space it takes up.

Cheers
Steve

Wolfe
30-10-11, 06:41 PM
So where to you put the Antenna?

Cpage66
30-10-11, 06:43 PM
Got mine on a model specific mount that's on the right front guard...

Steve F
30-10-11, 06:44 PM
Mines mounted on a 'Z' bracket it bolts to the drip rail under the bonnet and hangs over the guard.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc200/steveff/Jeep%20on%2035s/IMG_4311_nonum.jpg

Cheers
Steve

Cpage66
30-10-11, 06:49 PM
And that's pretty much what mine looks like...

reyzor
31-10-11, 02:58 PM
So where to you put the Antenna?

outside the car.....duh

Wolfe
31-10-11, 03:51 PM
outside the car.....duh

I'll show you where to put it

Hunty
31-10-11, 04:08 PM
Hi Mate
My 2c on CB radio

I have a permanently installed a Uniden for the following reasons;

1. Always ready to operate - no forgetting to pack it or charge it and never looking for batteries.
2. 5watt maximum power - unlike a lot of 1watt handhelds.
3. I mounted it right in front where I can see it, operate it and hear it (very important for soft top wranglers - LoL)
4. I bought a dual 27meg / UHF CB so I could listen and communicate on both bands.
5. I use a 6db gain antenna - great for long distance communication.

Heres why I think you need a good permanently installed CB with excellent quality and range.

1. One day it just maybe a vital link in rescue scenario.
2. When traveling in convoy on a dusty dirt road it is sometimes necessary to drop back a bit from the Jeep in front to allow enough dust to settle to see where you are going safely, if there are 10 or so Jeeps in the convoy and every one has dropped back 500 - 1000meters there is potentially 10km between the lead Jeep and tail end Charlie - if Charlie has an elcheapo 1watt handheld I can guarantee you he will not be able to communicate with the trip leader, this can be frustrating and time wasting. the trip leader has to stop and wait for tail end charlie to catch up close enough to communicate
3. It is very annoying on a trip when the trip leader needs to get a consensus from the group and due to the poor reception and range of cheap handhelds some of the group don't hear or understand correctly.
4. another pet grip is having to "Relay" or pass messages from Jeep to Jeep in a convoy simply because a few convoy members have elcheapos. just ask some of the "Cape trippers" how dangerous it is when driving at speed on a road wide enough for just 1 Jeep and you don't hear the message from the leader when he / she announces a change in plan or the colour and description of the on comming vehicle that you need to pull over to let past especially if it is a 3 trailer road train....... you may not be able to see it because there is so much dust in the air - Miraz came upon just such a fatality! / accident on the way to the Cape.
5. as you all know so well the trip leader will assume that everyone has heard the "New Plan" especially if everyone has been travelling close for a while and no communication problems have been evident - all it takes is hill and a brakedown near the end of the convoy and the trip leader can "Loose" part of the convoy!

I have 2 Antennas on my bonnet a 27meg and a UHF and when I go away on a trip I install another UHF high up on my Light bar - I do this to maximise my signal quality and range. I believe communication is very important on a trip and in a convoy for the following reasons;

1. If everyone can hear well, misunderstandings can be reduced, I have been on many a wild goose chase looking for a "Lost Jeeper" wasting fuel , backtracking etc only to be told "Didnt you hear me say (over my elcheapo handheld) that I was........... someone said "roger that" and it wasnt the trip leader........ D'oh D'oh D'oh LoL
2. Team building, fun, jokes, and helpful tips can be very useful things to communicate on a trip and if some can't participate they are the ones that miss out.
3. It is very frustrating and annoying for the owners of good quality communication equipment when they have to turn up the volume to almost deafening levels to hear weak, feable, distorted and crackling transmissions from crappy equipment.
4 Do yourself a favour and invest in good quality communication gear (if you can) be it handheld or installed - it just may save your LIFE one day.

Cheers Hunty

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/P1110159.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/IMG_0601.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/bd369bec.jpg
http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv217/ashunty/4wd Action Shoot/_MG_0058.jpg

Wolfe
13-06-12, 06:59 PM
Well I finally bought one

Uniden UHF UH7700NB + Uniden AT770 6db Antenna

http://www.prestigecom.net.au/images/UH7700NB_HR-Preview.jpg

Now where to install it? im trying to put it in the dash were the ash tray used to sit. Where did everyone else put theres?

redrubi
13-06-12, 08:36 PM
G-Day El Presidente,

I,d suggest you install it central where both you and the co-driver can use it with ease.(I coud have suggested a less pleasant place! But I guess you need sunlight! LOL:hororr:)

Cheers

Andy:pirate:

Wolfe
13-06-12, 10:22 PM
There's always one. Notice I said install on purpose. Besides I don't have a co pilot it's hard when your omnipresent (go ahead look it up, I'll wait)

redrubi
13-06-12, 11:46 PM
Oneness is so lonely (unless loud music is involved!!):encouragement:

Danm that education!

Wolfe
14-06-12, 12:34 AM
Oneness is so lonely (unless loud music is involved!!):encouragement:

Danm that education!
That's why my hand held never works

SteveC
14-06-12, 09:34 AM
Good one
BTW You know you can get ones with remote controls that attach a wireless adapter to steering wheel so no need to hold a mic any more and you can hide the main unit anywhere. That'll be what I'll go for next time.

Steven.Boyd
14-06-12, 09:38 AM
I use a GME TX3100 5W 80 channel as it is a nice compact unit, about the size of a cigarette packet.

As there is not a heap of room on my TJ there is a lot of places it can be tucked out of the way and have had no issues with it. Good little unit

Paralize
22-06-12, 09:41 AM
Is it hard to install a radio and antenna? I am pretty good with power tools and crayons. Not all that great at wiring stuff. I actually want to take a class in wiring stuff, cuz I think it would be fun to make a whole heap of stuff out of those little led lights..

I kinda want one of the radios that just has the little front plate, and the rest of the stuff gets hidden somewhere under the dash maybe?

Steven.Boyd
22-06-12, 12:42 PM
There is normally only a few wires to hook up.

The negative and positive power wires and some models will have an earth

The areal is easy to install as it is a single plug in its can be fun running the cable

I wired mine into the stereo cabling so i didn't have to run cables all threw the dash

Hunno
23-06-12, 11:53 PM
There is normally only a few wires to hook up.

The negative and positive power wires and some models will have an earth

I wired mine into the stereo cabling so i didn't have to run cables all threw the dash
Just the two a red & black.
the "Ground " wire in 12v DC system is also called a *ground, *Earth or *negative & is the Black wire.