PDA

View Full Version : time for a ratio change? (auto JK CRD)

Adrian
31-10-11, 01:45 PM
JK currently has the 4.10 (4.11?) 2007 ratio. should i be going as high as 5.13's or stick with 4.88's? 4.56 i don't feel will be enough improvement to warrant doing front and rear

Miraz - is urs auto? what do you run?

thanks!

Miraz
31-10-11, 01:50 PM
You must do front and rear together if you change ratios!

I thought 4.1 was spot on for 35's for the CRD/Auto, but it struggled a little with 37's so I've gone to 4.88 now.

How badly has your rear diff let go?

Adrian
31-10-11, 02:24 PM
yes, sorry what i meant was if it's worth doing i will do both front & rear, if not I will leave ratio as is

haven't opened it up yet to see what the cost will be, something let go, loud cracking under load so i believe it's the pinion gear.

i just spoke with my mechanic and he said approx $2500 each end to change ratios (including gears)! apparently the front is a PITA to remove ? you mentioned the rear you can get out by tapping the housing, is the front D30 any different? would he be referring to TJ diffs? (they have one sitting there being rebuilt)

Miraz
31-10-11, 03:49 PM
I'd just leave it as it is.....$2500 is a bit steep for a gear swap, and there are much better ways to spend $5k!

The rear is just as easy to drop out, which mechanic are you using?

Hunno
31-10-11, 04:34 PM
Langs (opp Wooders) is pretty well priced & cost me about that for the Dana 44 & 60. Your's should be a cheaper.

stevet
31-10-11, 05:42 PM
Try John at J-Mac Diff & Gear(Arndell Park) .......Does a Lot of the 4x4 masters rig's and a few of the club member's Jeeps...... Great work, could be suprised with his price's......... Knows Danas' very well...( long story...). Maybe worth a try if you can not do it yourself....-9671-5800......Just got to get booked-in now.......Lol....

sbadman
31-10-11, 05:49 PM
I bought a whole new rear diff assembly and had the front D30 rebuilt with new ratios to match for $4000, parts from Wooders, labour by J Mac. So $5000 just to change ratios? That is a rip....

SteveC
31-10-11, 05:53 PM
Earlier this year Langs at Hornsby did my front Dana 30 for around $1200 supplied and fitted though I can not recall what make of parts he uses?? but I think I have 3.73

stevet
31-10-11, 06:28 PM
I bought a whole new rear diff assembly and had the front D30 rebuilt with new ratios to match for $4000, parts from Wooders, labour by J Mac. So $5000 just to change ratios? That is a rip....
Never heard off John being called a rip before by anyone else or by you previously for the work he had to do & he would have shown you any issue's or worked out what would be cheaper to do if possible before you had agreed to any work being done... Know him to well............ Something changed??

Hunno
31-10-11, 06:32 PM
Never heard off John being called a rip before by anyone else or by you previously for the work he had to do & he would have shown you any issue's or worked out what would be cheaper to do if possible before you had agreed to any work being done... Know him to well............ Something changed??

Stephen,

I think you miss read what Scott has written.

sbadman
31-10-11, 06:32 PM

No no no you misunderstand me Mr Taylor!!! I'm saying the quote of $2500 per axle is a rip, I have no complaints at all with John and his work!

stevet
31-10-11, 06:56 PM
No no no you misunderstand me Mr Taylor!!! I'm saying the quote of $2500 per axle is a rip, I have no complaints at all with John and his work!
Sorry Scott,
That is what I initially thought, even without the pill's kicking in....Lol... But, you are still a "Badman"....Lol... But warning please -- Do Not use Pedders as you end up paying their ridiculous prices just to start with....$407.85 for x4 Neo type bushes for standard control arms = $808.70 for either end to start.... Be warned....................