View Full Version : TRIP: Cabbage Tree Lane - 4th December

BenC
10-09-04, 02:40 PM
Trip: Cabbage Tree Lane
Leader: Ben
Meeting Point: Richmond Maccas
Meeting Time: 10.00AM
Grade: C+ with B options

Please register your interest here or with me directly (0438 125000) so I knows who's going.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking of running a cabbage tree lane trip towards the end of November. Is there any interest in such a trip?

It would be C+/B with B+ options.

Jeepa
16-09-04, 12:08 PM
Put it into the calender and see what happens. I know I would, but is the place still open???

BenC
16-09-04, 01:07 PM
I'll need to check it out before we go there to make sure it's still open. I'm pretty sure it's still open.

Can you put a trip in the club mag for Saturday 4th December, with me as the Contact. Meeting point Richmond Maccas at 10am.

Was going to do it in November, but we've already got 1 Menai cleanup, a Menai night drive and 2 competitions that month, so it might be a bit busy.

Antz
16-09-04, 03:27 PM
I will be driving right past Cabbage Tree Lane tomorrow, will check it out and report back.

Jeepa
16-09-04, 03:58 PM
Yeh but email me these also as I won't always be online on the board and if I miss it it won't go in.

Dorzun
22-09-04, 12:30 PM
I will be driving right past Cabbage Tree Lane tomorrow, will check it out and report back.

did you discover anything?

wiz
22-09-04, 01:16 PM
put me down as starter for this :D

Antz
22-09-04, 03:33 PM
Everything is as it was when I was last there about 12 months ago. The track to the lookout at the end of the main track still has a gate on it, but everywhere else is open.

BenC
07-10-04, 12:31 PM
Interest so far:

myself
Wiz
Antz
Steve F
Overlander
Jetty

overlander
08-10-04, 01:02 PM
ben, disregard my pm.. i've found the trip details here... :D

Jaffas
09-10-04, 10:01 PM
Yep, count me in

TheBeast
12-10-04, 09:59 PM
Maddog

I'd love to go but working that weekend :cry:

Could someone give me the address so I can go for a looksee :roll:

Thanks

Jaffas
14-10-04, 12:42 PM
aahhhh.... going to have to bale on this one. Just realised this is the weekend I was planning to be in Melb.

:(

TheBeast
19-10-04, 07:36 PM
Address please I want a looksee :wink:

wiz
20-10-04, 12:42 AM
you already have it :roll:

sir_camel
20-10-04, 11:37 PM
Just read this thread on outerlimits. I know its not the first time this has been mentioned but take a read. Might be worth someone having a looksee.

http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/PHP_Modules/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28761

BenC
21-10-04, 09:30 AM
Antz checked it out recently and it's still open. We'll check again the weekend before the trip :)

sir_camel
21-10-04, 10:01 AM
Well if its open and i am available looking forwaqrd to it. Will confirm later.

TheBeast
21-10-04, 03:53 PM
Wiz,

What do you mean I already have it :?: , please explane :?

Antz
21-10-04, 06:05 PM
Cabbage Tree Lane is at the end of Cabbage Tree Lane, Nth Richmond

Jetty
22-10-04, 06:42 PM
Ben, put me in on this one if not full yet.

I've already cut the video from the last SJC trip to this place. not a bad footage. Just need to burn to DVDs now to share.

TheBeast
24-10-04, 10:58 AM
Thanks Antz, now I have the address :lol:

BenC
24-11-04, 10:51 AM
OK here's the list of people I've got for Cabbage Tree Lane, 4th December.

Ben
Wiz
Antz
Steve F
Jetty
Chris P
Mark L
Hunter

Does anyone live near the area that can do a quick check to ensure it hasn't been gated off or anything since the last check?

Is anyone else interested that hasn't replied or let me know? I probably have room for 2 more vehicles.

Cpage66
24-11-04, 11:35 AM
How would the Grand go out there...lifted a little with no lockers and 31"s???
Good bypasses???

BenC
24-11-04, 11:54 AM
There are 2 tracks there, one is unsuitable for you, but it's only a short down and back type thing where non-drivers can watch from the top.

The second track is probably suitable for you, but may be tough going in a couple of spots. My Dad took his WJ most of the way down it when it was stock.

If you're willing to drive/try it, you're welcome to come.

overlander
24-11-04, 12:01 PM
sorry, Ben, count me out on this one, jeep's not ready and I'm working now too...

Cpage66
24-11-04, 12:18 PM
Yeah Ben...Count us in. I'm antsy to go ride somewhere and I can't make the Watagans run this weekend.

sir_camel
25-11-04, 07:09 PM
Put me down too Ben. Got a gig that night tho so i can't be there all arvo.

Hunter
25-11-04, 09:56 PM
Would like to go Ben, but will see how my winch performs this weekend 1st. :P

chrispy
25-11-04, 10:18 PM
Uhmm... fellas....

There was mention today on Overlander that CTL has officially closed down as of today. Yalwal also closes as of December 1st.

You might want to call the NPWS before you go and just have to come back.... :(

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=21087

Cpage66
25-11-04, 11:52 PM
Now I've got the s#@ts... :evil:

sir_camel
26-11-04, 12:00 AM
Yea very bad news. Once again a few wankers screwing it up for everyone else. Hopefully some arrangement can be made with clubs to get access. We can dream

BenC
26-11-04, 09:53 AM
Ahh, Chrispy the bearer of bad news.

Is there any chance someone from a nearby area can check this out and confirm it's been locked off? I've heard too many times of tracks being reported 'closed' on forums, or through groups of people and it turning out that they're still open.

Don't want to cancel a trip if we're not absolutely sure.

AussieCJ7
26-11-04, 10:59 AM
From the NSW 4 wheel drive association website

"? Cabbagetree Lane & Waterboard Track, Grose Vale - Feb 04.

NPWS now manage much of the land at the end of Cabbagetree Lane and have closed some of the tracks in the area.

The main track to Avoca Gap lookout (main lookout) is now closed with a car park constructed about 200m from the lookout.

The track to the Lower Lookout is closed to vehicles at the turnoff from the Waterboard Track, and many of the side tracks off the Waterboard Track are closed.
On 15 Feb 04 the Waterboard Track was still open to the river, but I do not know the land manager's intention for this track.

Det Voges
Back to top"

http://nsw.4wd.org.au/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=FAQ&file=index&myfaq=yes&id_cat=6&categories=Closed+Tracks&parent_id=4#7

PS this is a good start of a website to dispel the myths of which track are cloased and includes a listof tracks under risk of closer

BenC
26-11-04, 11:03 AM
Thanks Dave..

I know where that closure is. If that's all that they're talking about, then we should still be fine to use the trail down tot he river, and the small B grade trail just before that.

A reccie would still be nice though.

chrispy
26-11-04, 11:11 AM
Ahh, Chrispy the bearer of bad news.

Is there any chance someone from a nearby area can check this out and confirm it's been locked off? I've heard too many times of tracks being reported 'closed' on forums, or through groups of people and it turning out that they're still open.

Don't want to cancel a trip if we're not absolutely sure.

Ben - I'm not... I'm really not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just offering you guys the courtesy of reporting something I heard - for your benefit.

I'd still get the latest news from the rangers who look after the place, as that website data looks a tad old. Feb '04 was over nine months ago.....

Antz
26-11-04, 12:35 PM
I read that on the NSW 4 wheel drive association website ages ago, last time I was out that way (few months ago) the two tracks down to the river were still open.

I know someone who lives 10mins from Cabagge Tree and I'm in the area often. I will find out if anything has changed.

Hunter
29-11-04, 10:28 AM
Will go for it then since it might be the last one. Count me in Ben 8)

BenC
29-11-04, 09:08 PM
Here's the list to date:

Ben
Wiz
Antz
Steve F
Jetty
Chris P
Sir Camel
Hunter

We just need to check the track is still open. I'll talk to my Navi tomorrow, he lives near there and might be able to check it for us.

Make sure you all check back here to see any updates on the trip before going.

One other thing, if I can't make it to this trip, is Antz or Wiz OK to run it? I have to have a look over my truck and make sure it's OK from Woodpecker.

Antz
29-11-04, 10:22 PM
I don't mind running it, but from all indication it has finally been shut. I might go have a looksee tommorrow.

BenC
30-11-04, 10:06 AM
OK let me know.

TIGGER
30-11-04, 02:13 PM
damn - i was just near there this morning, didnt think to go and check!

Would love to come but i have a xmas party on that arvo 8)

BenC
30-11-04, 02:41 PM
OK I'm definately out for this one. Going to spend Saturday in the workshop. So if the track is open, Antz will be your shiny new trip leader.

Steve F
01-12-04, 09:29 AM
I'm not going to be able to make this one eithier now, after over 10,000km in the last month the XJ really needs a freshen up and Saturday is my only chance to service it.

Cheers
Steve

Antz
01-12-04, 11:26 AM
Went and had a look at Cabbage Tree this morning.

I didnt check everywhere, but there appears to be no new gates or signs. The gate on the track to the river is still open.

Unless we hear differently, the trip will still be on. If I am leading, I would prefer meeting at Richmond McDonalds at 11am

Updated attendence list

Antz
Chris P
Sir Camel
Hunter
Chris & Jenny

Hunter
01-12-04, 11:53 AM
Yeah it's ok to me.

sir_camel
01-12-04, 12:09 PM
yea i guess its ok later. But i really dont wanna be oiut there heaps late. Would it be worth calling the ranger to check??? Just worried about bad publicity if we r doing the wrong thing

wiz
01-12-04, 01:03 PM
i may have to bail on this trip :cry: ...
need to get some brake issues sorted with my heep :x, hopefully by weeks end :roll:

Antz ... can you PM your number so that i can confirm with you on friday or sat if i'll be there or not :wink:

chrispy
02-12-04, 02:51 PM
Has someone called the local ranger - just to protect us from any scandalous backfire?

If so, count Jenny and I in as well... :)

Still meeting at Maccas in Richmond at 11:00am?

Cheers
Chris

Jetty
03-12-04, 01:19 PM
Antz, please count me out. I thought I'll not risk my 3pm appointment tomorrow as I have to travel a little bit.

Have a safe fun all who's going.

sir_camel
04-12-04, 04:51 PM
Nice drive guys (short for some). Fill me in on what i missed out on after i left when you get home. Love that crossmember Chrispy!!!

chrispy
05-12-04, 12:10 AM
hehe... damn crossmember! This car need a serious lift - that's for sure. 2" would see it over more obstacles more cleanly. Going the advertised line might be better still :?

After you left Mark, it went UP the same stuff we came down pretty well - no hangups.

Anyways - thanks all! Great day! I'm glad we were able to drive it before it's shut - which I think we can safely assume it is now. That ranger was non too pleased.... even though he let us through without a fine.

TIGGER
06-12-04, 09:27 AM
no way - so it's officially closed? :cry:

damn, wish i could have made the last trip!

Antz
06-12-04, 10:47 AM
Yep, Cabbage Tree Lane is officially closed now. The was some talk of allowing restricted access to clubs in the future (al a Spanish Steps and Menai)

BenC
07-12-04, 01:14 AM
So what happened with the ranger?