PDA

View Full Version : SJC Club Navigation Event - SUNDAY 29th May - ZigZag Railway

BenC
19-05-05, 01:25 PM
First Annual SJC Navigational Event

What is it

The SJC committee has been talking about running an event that, if works out well, could be run as an annual invitational club event. This year will be our trial run, and participants will only be from the Sydney Jeep Club.

When is it

The event will be run on Sunday 29th May. Drivers briefing will be from 9am and the driving will commence at 10am, finishing at 4pm.

Where is it

ZigZag Railway and surrounding areas. ZigZag railway is about 30 minutes before Lithgow if you're coming from Sydney. You can access it by going up the Great Western Highway into the Blue Mountains, or via the Bells Line of Road.

What's involved

The purpose of this event is to test navigational skill using maps, as well as off road driving skill and strategy. GPS units will not be permittied during the course of the event, as we want to test driver's map reading skills.

Teams will be given a map of the area covered in the event, and information about trails that are available to be completed. Teams will be able to nominate a trail which they will complete and receive award points apon returning to the martialling area with proof that they have completed the trail (details on proof will be given at drivers briefing). Points will be awarded based on the difficulty of track chosen to be completed by the team.

Tracks with varying difficulty levels are available for choice, ranging from A grade (steep and difficult terrain, requiring vehicle modifications and driver skill/experience) through to D grade (flat dirt roads which do not require modified vehicles or driver skill, but rely on the team to navigate a further distance using the map). Higher graded trails will be awarded more points, but may also take longer due to the difficulty of the terrain, and may end up being impassable by a team. This makes track selection a strategic part of the day.

A maximum speed limit of 40kph has been implemented for this event, to ensure safe driving.

Two vehicles will be patrolling the area and will be contactable via UHF radio if teams require recovery assistance, or become lost. If a team requires recovery, they will only earn 50% of the total points for the track they have chosen to complete if they continue to complete the track. If they do not continue to complete the track they will not be awarded any points. The patrolling vehicles will also be keeping an eye out for safe vehicle speeds and other safe practices. Penalties will apply for unsafe behaviour.

Where do I sign up!?

Send an email to either abtrip@sydneyjeepclub.com or cdtrip@sydneyjeepclub.com with your registration for this event. It's important that we get as many participants from the club as possible for this event so that we can test the design of it and increase the number of clubs invited in the future.

BenC
19-05-05, 01:26 PM
The following people have contacted me as coming, so far: (will keep this list updated)

Organisers

Dave - Marshalling area
Ben - Patrolling
Antz - Patrolling

Participants

Jason
Rob Jenkins
Brad
Wooders
Mark Hickey
Francesco
Manuel
Pavlo
Mark Lamb
Stuart Bridge
Jeff (Maybe)
Wiz (Maybe)

chrispy
19-05-05, 01:52 PM
Hey guys.... would it be fair to ask for some notice on this? The 29th is just over a week away, and unless I missed discussion on it from somewhere else then it's pretty short notice.... 8O :(

BenC
19-05-05, 01:53 PM
We did a talk about it 2 or 3 meetings ago, it's been on the cards for some time. Unfortunately I haven't put a thread up about it until now. It's even in the trip calender for the mag.

Are you coming? :D

TIGGER
19-05-05, 02:52 PM
come one chris - i need some competition! :D

Dorzun
19-05-05, 04:39 PM
twas also an article in the april issue of the club mag.

Ben as said at the atart of planning for the event I'd be happy to helkp[ with marshalling but it looks like you have a few already. Was also speaking with Dave when I grabbed the stuff from him (thanks again) about maybe opening it up to nonm members due to the huge response you've had from them to date. can't see any point in having people sitting round the bush all day when no ones doing the event.

Steve F
19-05-05, 04:40 PM
We did a talk about it 2 or 3 meetings ago, it's been on the cards for some time. Unfortunately I haven't put a thread up about it until now. It's even in the trip calender for the mag.

Are you coming? :D

It's in the calendar (here) for the 28th not the 29th. I cancelled a trip because I thought it was clashing and so I could attend this event but now it turns out the dates were different anyway :( 'fraid I cant make it on the 29th as I'd already shuffled things around to have the 28th free.... Shame too as I was looking forward to a drive.

Cheers
Steve

Dorzun
19-05-05, 04:42 PM
in addition to the above, I need to work oon heather a bit as theres been so many things on and I am neglecting all the things I said I'd do around the house etc etc.

I'd also promised we'd go up the coast for the long weekend but am now doing Black rat so I may need some help at berridale when the subject comes up.

BenC
19-05-05, 05:40 PM
argh sorry Steve :oops: My days were all out by 1 day this month for some reason.

Brad, I'm sure we can give you some backup :lol:

BenC
23-05-05, 08:32 PM
Still trying to get some support for this. If we can't get at least 6 vehicles participating (excluding organisers) we'll have to postpone/cancel it.

Dorzun
23-05-05, 11:26 PM
Did we talk about it on the wekend or not, everythings a bit blurry, I think I'm still felling he effects 8O

It's too late for me to go and ask Heather so I"ll check tommorow. Was going to help marshall but may participate if you need the numbers and we get an OK.

Will ring and let you know.

mrp69
24-05-05, 11:46 AM
I am 80% chance on comeing 2 this one will know by 2morrow but so far so good, my map reading - navigational skills arnt really 2 apparent but i will give it a shot. Besides more practise b4 black rat the better

Wooders
24-05-05, 11:21 PM
I'm planning to bring the J20 out for a spin so put me down as "competing". 8)

Manuel
25-05-05, 12:03 PM
I'm coming along aswell, competing. Will need more details on how to get there though as I have never been there before.

BenC
25-05-05, 12:12 PM
G'day Manuel, I was trying to call your mobile earlier today but couldn't get through.

Can you PM me with your home address so I can confirm it against our club records which we're updating ATM?

mrp69
25-05-05, 12:36 PM
You guys can now put me down as a definate

ACJ
25-05-05, 03:49 PM
I can come and help out

francesco
25-05-05, 07:42 PM
today stewart bridge confirmed he was coming aswell.

mrp69
26-05-05, 09:06 AM
is this event open to club members only? My brother may want to come out not definate just to have a little play with his zook

wiz
26-05-05, 10:45 AM
will let you know MD,

only about to start on my Heep tomorrow :oops:

JP_Mark
26-05-05, 01:10 PM
Lyn and I will be there. Can help or drive as required.

BenC
26-05-05, 02:04 PM
is this event open to club members only? My brother may want to come out not definate just to have a little play with his zook

Uhm, my gut feel would be no, for this event. But check with Dave and see what his thoughts are. He may not have a problem with it?

Manuel
26-05-05, 04:44 PM
guys can anyone give me an idea how long it takes to get there from around the carlton/kograrah area.

Also what is the exact meeting point. I know it says zig zag railway but seeing as I haven't been there before I don't know how obvious it is when you are there.

Antz
26-05-05, 06:59 PM
I'd say about 2 hours from Carlton to Zigzag.

You honestly can't miss it if you head towards Lithgow along the bells line of road. It's on the right hand side just after the Clarence colliery.

BenC
26-05-05, 08:26 PM
And the car park area will be where the meeting point and drivers briefing are held.

TIGGER
27-05-05, 10:27 AM
Manuel if you want to convoy give me a call - i'll be leaving from sans souci.

cheers

Jase

0409 224 363

(if non club members are allowed to compete, my brother could be interested in bringing his 80)

Manuel
27-05-05, 10:46 AM
Jase, I'm picking up my mate from sans souci in the morning so we might aswell, if you don't mind. Just let me know of a time and location and I'll be there. BTW I'm picking him up from kendall st, off princes highway. My number is 0402 872 545

Manuel if you want to convoy give me a call - i'll be leaving from sans souci.

cheers

Jase

0409 224 363

(if non club members are allowed to compete, my brother could be interested in bringing his 80)

Wooders
28-05-05, 01:54 PM
Unfortunately I'm way behind on some work so I;m gonna have to pass :cry: :evil:

Dorzun
29-05-05, 09:17 AM
UNfortyunately I switched the alarm off and wen't back to sleep for 5 minutes only to wake 2.5 hours later at 8.45. :oops: 8O

AussieCJ7
29-05-05, 10:06 PM
Sensational Day and I didnt even get to leave the base camp area

well done Ben and Antz great starting platform for a bigger and badder event with only a small bit of fine tunning needed for more Jeeps

And for those who say we dont have enough varity in our trips and dont cover all grades WHERE WERE YOU TODAY !!!! It covered everyone

A KJ was very close to taking out 1st place just had a veiw overtime penalites

The scores today proved the format was fair for all level of Jeeps and drivers if you used your brain a bit

sir_camel
30-05-05, 12:14 AM
Sensational Day and I didnt even get to leave the base camp area

well done Ben and Antz great starting platform for a bigger and badder event with only a small bit of fine tunning needed for more Jeeps

And for those who say we dont have enough varity in our trips and dont cover all grades WHERE WERE YOU TODAY !!!! It covered everyone

A KJ was very close to taking out 1st place just had a veiw overtime penalites

The scores today proved the format was fair for all level of Jeeps and drivers if you used your brain a bit

Excellent news. Wish i was able to make it.

Manuel
30-05-05, 08:43 AM
just wanted to thank Ben, Antz and Dave for a great day yesterday and for making the effort of putting the event together. It was awesome and to those who didn't go, you definetely missed out on a top day with lots of really good tracks.

TIGGER
30-05-05, 09:27 AM
Yep, thanks to Ben and Antz for marking out some great tracks... it was good to see some new areas too.

We had a great day!

mrp69
30-05-05, 09:28 AM
Thankz to all who helped set up the event was a great day of non stop driving and getting lost :D Will have a trip report ready soon!