PDA

View Full Version : Biggest or recommended tyres?

SteveC
18-11-11, 04:57 PM
Those JK guys still running their stock 17" x 7.5" wheels (or any one for that matter).
can you tell me what the largest mud tyre you can comfortably run?

I ask as I might get a set of JK wheels to put on my WJ as second set, as they are same bolt pattern .

Any help would be great please.
Also if any one "knows" who supplies steel wheels that are 17" x 8" with B/space of around 5.5" would be happy to hear.

Thanks

Miraz
18-11-11, 05:25 PM
I've run 35" x 12.5" on the stock rims....I have a set of stock jk rims that you can borrow if you like

SteveC
18-11-11, 05:49 PM
Wow Miraz That's big and I can not understand that size. It must be close to 315/70R17

I don't think I can physically do that. I was thinking along 265-285/70/17. Hoping 285, absolute max (at this stage).
My limited knowledge research said 285 recommends 7.5-9" rim. Don't you need to have a rim close to middle of the range? Would it be safe to run 285/70/17 on JK wheel, with muddies as my second set for club outings?

And thanks for offer Miraz- I even take you up on that offer later

SKIZZI
18-11-11, 07:19 PM
yep im pretty sure Aussie JK runs 34s on stock wheels as well

SteveC
18-11-11, 07:39 PM
Thanks Skizzi Anyone else able to contribute?

BTW saw you pass me on Mowbray rd yesterday. You seem to stand out a bit ha!

Dieselcon
18-11-11, 08:48 PM
Aussie Jk is running 35"(315/70/17) copper stt. I think with spacers
I'm running 34"(305/70/17) maxis bighorns. Stock wheels and No spacer but needed to adjust break line bracket to stop rubbing on full flex..

Bear
18-11-11, 08:49 PM
I am running 285/70x17r on my JK on standard rims, they are Mickey Thomson MTZ, they are supposed to be 33's but are actually 32.75. This was the number I used with the Procal whenI recalibrated the speedo.

Hunno
18-11-11, 09:24 PM
Steve, I think you should try someone else's first. As the Grands don't have a chassis, you can't run a body lift to fit the bigger tyres.
I've had to do some major trimming to run 35's & that's with a 4.5" lift.

aussiejk
19-11-11, 03:09 PM
im running 35x12.5 17 cooper sst (true 35),on stock rim.. not 315/70/17(34.4) soon to be running 37's on stock rim.. plenty of the guys in the US run 37 on stock rims with out problems

SteveC
19-11-11, 04:44 PM
Steve, I think you should try someone else's first. As the Grands don't have a chassis, you can't run a body lift to fit the bigger tyres.
I've had to do some major trimming to run 35's & that's with a 4.5" lift.
hunno
I have a 3" lift and I wont have trouble fitting bigger tyres as there is still ample room and I have the correct bumps stops in already
I wont be in the category of 33" but probably 285/70/17 which equates to 32". yes I know smaller than most of you but thats life...
I know that some grands run 33-35" but that's with lift of 6" ish which are available but Im not going down that path.
only issue I see is the rear shocks might touch on flex with 285 and turning circle would be slightly restricted.
If I had the right offset wheels - then thats another story or a way to relocate shock mount OR if I had more money then that a bigger story....

Good idea Hunno - I'd like to try someones who has 285/70/17 if around

SteveC
19-11-11, 04:46 PM
Aussie Jk is running 35"(315/70/17) copper stt. I think with spacers
I'm running 34"(305/70/17) maxis bighorns. Stock wheels and No spacer but needed to adjust break line bracket to stop rubbing on full flex..
Im amazed you run 305 or 315 on 7.5" wheels. Don't you get too much roll and squirming?

aussiejk
19-11-11, 09:33 PM
don't notice it... its jeep it;s not meant be a rail on the road

Dieselcon
23-11-11, 08:18 PM
don't notice it... its jeep it;s not meant be a rail on the road

Easy for you to say when you have a gtr in the driveway. Lol

aussiejk
24-11-11, 10:52 AM
Easy for you to say when you have a gtr in the driveway. Lol

Im amazed you run 305 or 315 on 7.5" wheels. Don't you get too much roll and squirming?

Yeah ture lol it's not quite back on the road yet.. need a blue slip for it.. but i drive the jeep everyday to and from work, GTR spends most of its time in the garage.. you can't expect 2-2.5 tones of jeep with larger tires and and lift to performe on the road and off you make a compremise buying any 4wd for that matter, like come on even a standard jeep squirms and rolls (even though you can get a cheerokee or a wrangler sport) dose this make it a sports car, seriously all jokes aside if any one is that concerned about how a car (jeep) feels on the road i question you why own one or any 4wd, its 4wd...

SteveC
24-11-11, 11:19 AM
seriously all jokes aside if any one is that concerned about how a car (jeep) feels on the road i question you why own one or any 4wd, its 4wd...

I have owned Jeep for 10+ years and other 4wd's too. While I drive it hard (perhaps not as hard as wranglers do) within it's capabilities. I do and CAN expect modern 4wd's, regardless of make, to drive comfortably, confidently and more importantly safely on and off the road.
I've not owned a JK but all I can vouch for, is that my WJ handles great with the use of the correct suspension components and tyre choice plays an important part.

After all "most" 4wd's spend a lot of time on the black top to get to the dirt, so they should perform reasonably so.

That is why I posted question to gauge people's opinions.

Miraz
24-11-11, 11:53 AM
I'm amazed at how well some of the new 4wd tyres handle on the road - at high pressures they stiffen up and work extremely well on the road, at low pressures they bulge, flex and behave completely differently.

reyzor
24-11-11, 12:20 PM
I have owned Jeep for 10+ years and other 4wd's too. While I drive it hard (perhaps not as hard as wranglers do) within it's capabilities. I do and CAN expect modern 4wd's, regardless of make, to drive comfortably, confidently and more importantly safely on and off the road.
I've not owned a JK but all I can vouch for, is that my WJ handles great with the use of the correct suspension components and tyre choice plays an important part.

After all "most" 4wd's spend a lot of time on the black top to get to the dirt, so they should perform reasonably so.

That is why I posted question to gauge people's opinions.

totally agree steve, its not to much to expect your new car to handle driving everyday well....... 4 wd or not.......... writing it off as "a jeep thing" is crap

Hunno
24-11-11, 01:14 PM
My ZJ was such a great daily driver, then I fitted the RE Superflex Kit. The road handling got even better. It was a great car to eat up the miles as well.

Dieselcon
24-11-11, 05:27 PM
There is a big difference between the performance from a true sports car (400+HP skyline) and that of a modified 4wd. However, I would expect all new 4wd to handle well on the road, due to "ALL are daily drivers". Agree with Hunno, adding after market suspension should only improve handling for both Offroad and on road. And in my case, the new components improved it's handling all-round.

SKIZZI
25-11-11, 06:28 PM
speaking of wheels/tyres etc... anyone know where i can get a set of 16 x 10 steel wheels made?

Banshee
02-12-11, 05:11 PM
I have the 285/70R17 Maxxis Bighorns. No problems so far, with OME 2" lift courtesy of the PO.

285/70 is the widest that I could find that say they fit the stock JK rims, but that doesn't mean wider ones don't, of course, just that they will tend to bulge & roll more than they are intended to.

SteveC
02-12-11, 06:45 PM
Finally after many week searching for a wheel that will fit and suit my needs, I've ordered a set with 17x8 with 30 Offset. Makes them legal too... and very reasonably cheap.

This should allow me to fit (in my particular needs) either 265.70.17 or 285.70.17.

Do you think it would be a problem fitting the 285 in regards to drivetrain issues. I'm worried that it would be too much stress. How much stress can it take?

You comments are welcome.

ps now the search for tyres begins............(even used)

aussiejk
02-12-11, 09:10 PM
you should be fine I run 35's not a problem...

SteveC
07-12-11, 09:11 AM
Anyone know where I get used mud tyres?
Ive looked but so far no luck
Steve

SteveC
08-12-11, 10:42 AM
Does any one run Maxxis Bighorn MT672? I'd like their opinions?
I see some new STT's on ebay going well priced but what are your experiences?
I'd prefer the KM2 1st then MT MTZ but not easily available...
I welcome your comments please.
Steve

Steve F
08-12-11, 10:54 AM
I run the Bighorns, been running them (two sets) for the last 4 years with no issues and would happily run them again. The first see did around 30000km and then I replaced them with the 35's, they've done around 20000km (including the Cape) so far and look like they have another 20000km in them (at least).

Cheers
Steve