PDA

View Full Version : Time to sell?

Viperchick
01-12-11, 01:12 AM
After much time spent (and $$) trying to find out what's wrong with my 97 ZG Cherokee Ltd, replacing O2 sensor, crank shaft sensor, ABS module and ABS pump, I'm told that it's the computer that's the problem. I found one on ebay cheap, but looks like it's not the right part and the part number Jeep gave doesn't produce any results on ebay or through Jeep part sellers. Jeep want $1800 to fix the existing part up.

So, I'm giving up. I know that replacing the computer might fix everything and my baby with 163K on clock could keep going for another 160k, BUT I'm very tired of replacing parts and have run out of money....

Is it common to keep replacing parts? If I sell her, I'm asking $4k - is that about the going rate for private sales (considering dealers reckon they sell them for $8k)???

Thanks for the advice!
V

Hunno
01-12-11, 08:14 AM
Sorry to say but those dealers are Dreaming. Just watch Ebay & you'll see that they are not selling for much. 2000 - 4000 for good condition & working.

Hunno
01-12-11, 08:17 AM
I think you'd be better buying a wreck or form someone who is wrecking a ZG/ZJ Grand & swaping out the computer.

miller2908
01-12-11, 08:20 AM
Landvehicle spares at Silverdale might be able to help with a second hand one, I've bought lots of bits in the past and found them to be good with the $'s
36 Econo Place
Silverdale
4774 1741
Mick

Viperchick
01-12-11, 12:08 PM
Thanks for that, great advice. I'll try Landvehicle spares (haven't had luck at wrecking yards), otherwise I might consider a toasty bonfire with marshmellows! Hahaha. Alternative, I'll try to get $2k for her.

Thanks again.

I always wanted a Jeep, loved having her, but sadly, she's going....

Greg D
01-12-11, 12:11 PM
I recently bought a replacement computer for my TJ from:

http://www.allcomputerrebuilders.com/jeep.html

I provided the VIN and the odometer reading, and they rpogram it for the individual jeep - the cost was about $280 including shipping. The part was stuck in US Postal customer in Miami for 3 weeks, but that wasn't the fault of the supplier. Returning the failed unit gives a long guarantee on the new (reconditioned) one. It seems to work well, except we think it is programmed for some US pollution control, so the engine warning light remains on.

Greg

stevet
01-12-11, 01:42 PM
Brought a used one from a Melbourne wrecker's =$490.00 + freight last year................ For a TJ though, 97 auto.........
Also have a working computor unit from my 96 ZJ Laredo..... Check unit model number's, match, problem solved way under any price you will get quoted as some whom have brought from me can say...... Did you see my ZJ part's sale....... Still got a few (lots) of odd parts at home... They did upgrade some part's during 97 update so match your number's and let me know...... Have ALL the above replacement parts you mentioned and some.........Need the dosh really......Lol..........
P.S. Keep the ZJ, great rig's, plenty becoming available now cheaply....... Buy (with the parts you want working), use what's needed & sell for scrap or odd parts........... Stephen.

rainman
02-12-11, 10:30 PM
I recently bought a replacement computer for my TJ from:

http://www.allcomputerrebuilders.com/jeep.html

I provided the VIN and the odometer reading, and they rpogram it for the individual jeep - the cost was about $280 including shipping. The part was stuck in US Postal customer in Miami for 3 weeks, but that wasn't the fault of the supplier. Returning the failed unit gives a long guarantee on the new (reconditioned) one. It seems to work well, except we think it is programmed for some US pollution control, so the engine warning light remains on.

Greg

Dude that is gold. A cheap one stop, no F@#kn about answer to what can be a very difficult problem.
thank-you very much. *bookmarks site*
Regards,