PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in 4-wheel-drive, np242, I tried it all!

bluemarlin
12-12-11, 02:35 PM
Hello,

I have done some extensive search for how to get my Jeep Cherokee XJ 99 out of 4WD. However, nothing, absolutely nothing, worked for me. I reversed, slammed it in, went down the hill in N, went up the hill, drove over speedbumbs etc etc.

When I put the leaver in 2WD, the car still drives in 4WD FullTime. (At least I think it does). I had to drive around 50 miles home. When I put the leaver in 4WD Fulltime, the car goes into Low Range and its really difficult to get out of again.

Now I managed to put the car in 4WD Fulltime, although the leaver is in 2WD. I don't even know for sure if its in Full Time or Part Time, at least its not in Low Range. I don't want to keep driving in FullTime, it makes weird noises going backwards and I don't know what to do anymore.

Can I check the fluids? Or the chain in the transfer case? If so, please tell me how to do it! The only suitable mechanic is booked until mid January..

Please help me!! My transfer case should be the NP242 since I have Fulltime, Parttime and Low Range. In case its stuck in Part Time and not Fulltime, is that bad?

Thank you for your help!

Hunno
12-12-11, 03:34 PM
Get under the car with a 13 or 14mm (can't remember which) spanner & check the mechanical linkage between the lever & the transfer case. It may have slipped, been knocked. Very easy to adjust.

bluemarlin
12-12-11, 08:19 PM
I am just coming back from under the jeep. I first removed a protection to get a better hand on it. Then I wanted to remove another big protection which turned out to hold the whole stuff down there, so I screwed it back on with the help of a jack. Pretty annoying, but I am just not used to it, yet;)

I had a good look at the linkage, nothing seemed bent or moved out of place. Everything looks just fine. I couldn't move anything down there by hand (but the space was rather limited as well). Basically, when I was under there, I didn't really know where to start. It looked a bit different from the first picture. Furthermore, the leaver moves pretty good, but the car just won't pop out of 4WD. Now the metal thing on the second picture is in its upper position, that should be right, shouldn't it?

After I came back from under the car, I tried driving. It did not make any weird noises anymore in reverse, BUT it is still vibrating from the front and feels to be in 4WD. Furthermore it sound horrible while braking. Now a question popped into my mind: Is there one way I can find out for sure whether or not I am in two wheel drive? Other than lifting the whole car and accelerating? Maybe something else is wrong, and its actually in 2WD ?

I am so confused :(

EDIT: I know the pictures are not really about the linkage, I couldn't take a proper photograph because of its position.

rainman
07-03-12, 02:25 PM
Are the indicator lights in the dash on?
Do you have a slip yoke eliminator fitted?

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position.
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig. 3).
4) Verify that linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully engaged
in 4L position.
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle.
(8) Verify proper shift operation.